The Student Room Group

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!!

Hello all, time for a rant :angry: !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

Scroll to see replies

The profession I want to get into shouldn't be too bad when I graduate in 2015 (teaching), however, I am more than happy to fill the gap by working in a café or Tesco or somewhere, just while I get my feet on the ground if needs be. The way things are going, beggars are less and less able to be choosers. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

Might be an idea to enrol yourself on a languages course at your college, so you can go job hunting abroad if you don't like the job situation here. I don't think things are too bad in Germany or Canada.
Original post by flavius11
snobbish

He isn't being snobbish.. just unrealistic (due to no fault of his own). Todays economy is designed to demand youth become highly efficient, low paid robots to slave away for companies making giant profits, controlled and owned by the elite. Our society epitomises serfdom. The rich get richer, the poor well they'll stave. To some extent, it might have always been this way, but now the contrast is greater than ever and the gap is only growing.
Reply 3
Your attitude, with respect, stinks. The whole 'I have a degree so won't start on minimum wage' line is not only snobbish, but also possibly a reason why you've not yet secured employment.

It might be a reason why he/she hasn't found employment yet, but it's definitely not snobbish. Studying towards a degree means forfeiting an income and opportunities to save for the future, it's hard work and the expectation that this financial and personal investment pays out in something more than minimum wage is very reasonable.
I feel sorry for the fact nobody told you before uni, that you're not going to get a good job by just getting a degree. Getting a degree in an irrelevant mickey-mouse subject, from a poor quality university that (realistically) anyone can get in to, is a waste of your £9000/£27000, and isn't likely to make you attractive to an employer as they are aware the skills and perseverance to get through such a degree are very basic. Cold hard truth, sorry brah.
well u took a study thats not very likely to becoma a miloniar in one year time likely to a study as philosofy, wich has large numbers of unemplyment these days... all i can say is : keep on searching for that one perfect job, wich can take years of solicitating , and in the meanwhile try to enjoy a litle bit of life, enjoying life is often for free !!!
aspirational

Capitalism is dependant on selling debt trap dreams to all but never quenching them for the many. It is very practical to realise this and never get trapped. Or conversely, realise this and play the game. Either way it's always useful to open your eyes.
Reply 7
So.. Just to confirm: You went to a **** uni, studied a **** course and now you are unable to obtain a job that pays more than a **** salary?

I can't see a problem with that.
Original post by edwinemanuelposse
well u took a study thats not very likely to becoma a miloniar in one year time likely to a study as philosofy, wich has large numbers of unemplyment these days... all i can say is : keep on searching for that one perfect job, wich can take years of solicitating , and in the meanwhile try to enjoy a litle bit of life, enjoying life is often for free !!!

uh says who ? im doing a Philosophy degree where 70% of graduates [in this course] end up in a professional/managerial job within 6 months. Though my uni does have one of the highest employability rates in the country :colondollar:
Original post by Carrotcake18
uh says who ? im doing a Philosophy degree where 70% of graduates [in this course] end up in a professional/managerial job within 6 months. Though my uni does have one of the highest employability rates in the country :colondollar:

Ow woke, perhaps England is different the where i live ( Holland ), one of my mates did philosophy, and 7 years later he still dint have a job so he started working at a laywer office !!!!!
That sort of thinking is too short term. Rome was not built in a day. Careers take time to develop and progress; you cannot really expect to be earning piles of money straight out of university. The hard work doesn't just stop when you get your degree, it carries on long into the future. Take the example of an apprentice plumber. He/she will earn virtually nothing to start with (comparable with a student on a uni course not having much money) yet once they are trained and have a few years experience they can run their own business and earn easily £50k +. On your thinking the apprentice plumber shouldn't bother because he gave up the chance to earn a bit more in the short term stacking shelves and went through a lot of hard work for minimal financial reward for the first few years of his career.

I agree with everything you have said on this thread.

*applauds*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uni=RipOff

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Did you do anything at uni to differentiate yourself from the crowd?

If you didn't, then I'm afraid it isn't the fault of your uni that you are in this state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
OP, everyone has a degree. Thus you are not entitled to anything unless you put tremendous effort. Harsh real world...
Reply 13
Your attitude, with respect, stinks. The whole 'I have a degree so won't start on minimum wage' line is not only snobbish, but also possibly a reason why you've not yet secured employment. If I'm an employer taking someone new on who has absolutely no experience or track record, then do you really think they'll be paying top dollar straight away? You don't just walk into high paying employment unless you do one of very few degrees (medicine, dentistry, some lawyers for instance) and have to work your way up. The people at the top of many small companies (particularly in certain fields) started at the very bottom on not much money and worked themselves up through hard work and dedication. To turn your nose up at any form of job because you think you're worth more is in my view a very short sighted attitude to have, and one you may come to regret. The whole assumption that if you start in a low paid job then you'll end up there for life is also rather ignorant; sure a lot of people will but those with particular ability/graft will progress.

At school I worked for a supermarket and our store manager started there at age 16 as a till assistant, and 20 years on is the manager of the store on a considerable amount of money. If he'd said 'I'm not working at Tesco; tills don't pay enough' then he'd not be earning what he does now. The graduate market is flooded with more applicants than there are jobs by a mile, and if you don't seek out alternative pathways to being successful you're going to find yourself in a very weak position in the years to come I fear.

That sounds awful. Agree with a lot of what you said, but please don't put the horrific thought in his head that if he starts on minimum wage in a supermarket he might be still there in 20 years time. No amount of money is worth that (and I doubt it's much anyway).

Original post by StuckInCoventry
He isn't being snobbish.. just unrealistic (due to no fault of his own). Todays economy is designed to demand youth become highly efficient, low paid robots to slave away for companies making giant profits, controlled and owned by the elite. Our society epitomises serfdom. The rich get richer, the poor well they'll stave. To some extent, it might have always been this way, but now the contrast is greater than ever and the gap is only growing.

The poor starve?! Please provide evidence of poor people starving in England.

Original post by Xarren
So.. Just to confirm: You went to a **** uni, studied a **** course and now you are unable to obtain a job that pays more than a **** salary?

Blunt, but valid point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Xarren

I disagree with your point abou universities good universities also do easier degrees eg. Leisure and management at Manchester uni
Maybe the fact that only 8 unis do the degree course say something about the degree you've chosen.

And echoing what previous posters have said - get yourself a part time job until you're able to find what you're after. You will only end up there forever if you allow yourself to be.

Again, try enjoying life! Not living with hate for your university because you're unemployed :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Uni=RipOff

Some courses sound really dodgy and ridiculous. Environmental health?? You should've gone ahead to get a phd in oxygen analysis.
Who are you trying to convince?

Clearly being rejected constantly is soul destroying. I've been there, and it's eroded my confidence to such a depth that I feel utterly incompetent.

You need to be of considerable mental fortitude when remaining unemployed, and it's extremely difficult not to let it get to you!
Reply 18
If you are applying for jobs and not getting an interview you must be doing something wrong, either on the application or applying for unsuitable jobs. As I finished my degree I applied for a couple of jobs but wasnt selected for interview. I asked for feedback on my application, to which one organisation replied. Taking on board the feedback received I then got 3 interviews from subsequent applications! Which resulted in a job!
Reply 19
To the person that says they will grad in 2015 in teaching, you are spot on.

There are many teaching jobs up and down the country, many local authorities websites are flooded with teaching jobs.

Social work is another popular area.

And to those that say about minimum wage / part time jobs - they are fierce too - if you noticed many people in these jobs are older people, organisations prefer to take on the older generation as they tend to think the young folks will leave when they find something better - a business point of view.

@ my course and 8 unis - common sense would say the less unis doing a unique course the better it is for job prospects. Lets take Law for example, nearly all unis are doing this course with about 200-400 students in take per year (if not more) that creates thousands of law grads up and down the country - NOW that makes competition.

Prior to the economic fall, those on my course were more or less guaranteed jobs with local authorities but the economic crisis hit the localities significantly that cuts were made.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending