The Student Room Group

Should I take this ****ty job or just not bother?

I've never felt so low. After a miserable 2 months of unemployment, I have been offered a miserable, low-paying, temporary job.

I am upset because I have been rejected from every decent graduate job that I have applied for. I have put massive effort into applying to these jobs, preparing for and travelling to their interviews. Then waiting ages for a response, only to be given the same old bull**** about how they "felt that some of the other candidates demonstrated a closer match to what we were recruiting for" but will "keep my CV on file for future consideration" :rolleyes:

Now I've been offered a boring job at a tiny company, with only 5 staff, that effectively pays just £6.41 per hour, barely minimum wage, and will only last for 6 months. They won't guarantee any job beyond that.

I feel so insulted. I am a University graduate, and I can only get a minimum wage job. It's like they're saying I'm 'not good enough' for a graduate job. This isn't even my first job, I've had better paying jobs in the past.

I'm sick of having no money, no friends, and no social life. I don't see how this job will change that.

Should I take this insulting job, or just give up and spend my days staying at home watching Jeremy Kyle in my pyjamas?

Scroll to see replies

Take it. No matter if it's ****ty or not, you will have gained SOME experience from it which will help you to land a better job.
At the end of the day a jobs a job, like you say would you rather be spending all day in your pjs watching Jeremy Kyle or actually doing something and earning money, and what's the worst that's going to happen your going to hate it but its only for 6 months. In my personal opinion I say take it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Take the job.

It looks much better that your out there and trying to earn a living, not waiting around for your dream job because you have an undeserved sense of entitlement because you went to uni. Yes it sucks but thats life, just because you have a degree doesnt make you any better than any job, especially in the recession
Reply 4
Original post by JulietheCat
Take it. No matter if it's ****ty or not, you will have gained SOME experience from it which will help you to land a better job.

I have already had 3 jobs, I have loads of experience. It doesn't make any difference.
Reply 5
Original post by Lexi99
Yes it sucks but thats life, just because you have a degree doesnt make you any better than any job, especially in the recession

But every other graduate gets a decent job that is properly paid and appropriate for their skill level. Why am I being treated differently, what is wrong with me?
Original post by inmyhead
I have already had 3 jobs, I have loads of experience. It doesn't make any difference.

Yeah it does. The longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to get a job.
Reply 7
Original post by Lauren_christina
At the end of the day a jobs a job, like you say would you rather be spending all day in your pjs watching Jeremy Kyle or actually doing something and earning money

The pay will be swallowed up by travelling costs and increased food costs (due to higher calorie requirement when working), so I won't be any better off.
Reply 8
What course did you study and what uni did you go?
Reply 9
Original post by JulietheCat
Yeah it does. The longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to get a job.

Employers will look at me and see that I've had 4 jobs of short duration and think that I can't stay in one job for long and that there must be soemthign wrong with me.
Reply 10
Definitely take it, what is to lose!? You'll gain experience, it'll keep you from watching Jeremy Depressive and you may make really good friends with these 5 other staff members. Also, if you don't like the place then 6 months will soon fly by. There are so many other graduates in this position so you've just got to make the most of every job opportunity that you can!
Reply 11
If I was an employer, I would prefer someone who has been in employment recently, rather than not for a while.
Reply 12
Original post by Nitrogen
What course did you study and what uni did you go?

Computer Science at Cardiff University
just take it
Employers will look at me and see that I've had 4 jobs of short duration and think that I can't stay in one job for long and that there must be soemthign wrong with me.

No they wouldn't. What would be bad is if you say that you were unemployed for 6 months and want a job. Employers would be less likely to hire you if you've been unemployed for a long time.
Reply 15
Original post by Jodie_668
Definitely take it, what is to lose!? You'll gain experience, it'll keep you from watching Jeremy Depressive and you may make really good friends with these 5 other staff members.

They're all much older than me and seemed quite boring when I met them after the interview, so I very much doubt it.

Also, if you don't like the place then 6 months will soon fly by. There are so many other graduates in this position so you've just got to make the most of every job opportunity that you can!

I'm not getting any younger. My best years are being wasted, and it is practically impossible to make friends when you are old.

This is why I have to really consider whether I should waste my time on dead-end jobs like this.
Reply 16
I've never felt so low. After a miserable 2 months of unemployment, I have been offered a miserable, low-paying, temporary job.

I am upset because I have been rejected from every decent graduate job that I have applied for. I have put massive effort into applying to these jobs, preparing for and travelling to their interviews. Then waiting ages for a response, only to be given the same old bull**** about how they "felt that some of the other candidates demonstrated a closer match to what we were recruiting for" but will "keep my CV on file for future consideration" :rolleyes:

Now I've been offered a boring job at a tiny company, with only 5 staff, that effectively pays just £6.41 per hour, barely minimum wage, and will only last for 6 months. They won't guarantee any job beyond that.

I feel so insulted. I am a University graduate, and I can only get a minimum wage job. It's like they're saying I'm 'not good enough' for a graduate job. This isn't even my first job, I've had better paying jobs in the past.

I'm sick of having no money, no friends, and no social life. I don't see how this job will change that.

Should I take this insulting job, or just give up and spend my days staying at home watching Jeremy Kyle in my pyjamas?

Take it for the money - it will be more than subsisting on welfare payments assuming you are working full-time hours.

You don't necessarily need to put the job your CV if you are applying for jobs where the recruiter may feel the experience is not relevant. Also you can study for certifications/network with people in the time that you are not working.

Also, assuming you are an EU national there are 26 other member states where you can work.
go for it, it can be a stepping stone, something to put on your CV, anything's better than the dole. keep applying to other jobs though.
Where do you live? What job is it? I would take ANYTHING in an instant. I've sent my CV's to everywhere and had no success like you. Never even got as far as an interview. I guess part of the problem is that I live in the middle of no where so most jobs are too far away and that only leaves a few in my little village.
Take the job. Whose to say someone in that company might give you something you can use be it experience, knowledge, a new perspective-they might know someone who works somewhere you want to work.
Just because they're older and 'seemed' boring, they might have the most radical interests and hobbies ever-or they might have similar ones to you-you might make a new friend or even if you don't you might meet someone who can provide a good network for you.
It'll give you some money, something to put on your CV, some experience in working in a small company-you can be a much larger part of a small company much easier, than you can a large one. You might provide excellent skills that the director of that company picks up on and secure yourself a position or give him/her some great ideas.
And if none of the above, what have you lost?Nothing.
Don't underestimate or be negative in things like this. You never know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending