The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MENDACIUM
The appendix is not actually useless at all. http://www.livescience.com/10571-appendix-fact-promising.html

Re the appendix

Slimy sac

The vermiform appendix is a slimy dead-end sac

Is that you? You're famous on the interwebz!
Reply 281
Original post by MostUncivilised
Your comment is completely nonsensical.

You have said homosexuality is unnatural. Even if it was, which clearly it is not, that isn't even a rational argument against it, or in favour of discriminating against gay people.

Then again, hateful, squalid little foreveralone idiots like you will always feel the need to feel superior to someone.

I have said two things: We are biologically designed to mate with the opposite sex. In addition, no-one is born gay. Both of these facts are supported with scientific evidence. The first is pretty self-evident, and the second is the result of endless research trying to find out of homosexuality is something we are born with, and as the leader of the Human Genome project himself concluded: "Homosexuality is not hard-wired". I won't use brash language back at you. My posts are not designed to offend those who are gay - merely replace speculation with truth. In addition, I am merely answering the OP's question. I respect your views and also of the right for you to voice them, and I accept the same for myself.
[That] no-one is born gay is pretty self-evident

Clearly not, considering the fraternal birth order hypothesis.

the leader of the Human Genome project himself concluded: "Homosexuality is not hard-wired"

Citation or gtfo.

And even if he said that, he's one man. The fact that he was head of the human genome project doesn't mean that we should credit scientifically unsupported statements.

And, even if homosexuality is a choice, you seem unable to articulate why that justifies discriminating against gay people.
and as the leader of the Human Genome project himself concluded: "Homosexuality is not hard-wired".

Citation or gtfo.

And even if he said that, he's one man. The fact that he was head of the human genome project doesn't mean that we should credit scientifically unsupported statements.

He has posted the link a good few times, it's also on my wall on my profile from someone called 'logical wisdom'.
However, this still doesn't mean that homosexuality is a choice! I've said this many times and MENDACIUM keeps ignoring it and repeating the same thing, none of which points to it being a choice.
Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence - you're right. However, of all the tests being done there is just no link to any of it being from nature. Any link made is subjective. There have been MANY tests, and not a single one has found any link. The issue is so much more complicated than that though. Humans beings are sentient - we have consciousness and free-will. People can have sex with animals, choose to be cannibals ect. Their nurture influences their mind, their views, their ideas. It takes a simple re-evaluation of ones belief, and keeping away from influences to shape your mind relatively better in my view. If - from a young age- was around racists, taught to hate a certain race, grew up, throughout history, we see such members of society also becoming racist - not all or most, but it certainly has an influence. Teaching your kids the right values, encouraging debates, discussion, allowing them to go to a good school, making sure they do not make friends with the wrong group and understand how to make good choices is all part of nurture. By the experiences you choose to engage in, you shape your likes and dislikes. It's all conditioning, and we humans have every hand in it. You see people in drugs and violence because they were under the influence of bad friends, who hated the law and society, choosing to come out of that. They had every hand in making their decision to associate with a different group and change their views and perceptions.

You don't always get to choose what you engage in. You don't always get to choose who you're around.
Nurture does not mean choice. And your evidence doesn't support a 100% nurture theory. There is evidence for there being more gay sons lower down in birth order and this is easily an interaction between genes (you have to have a certain gene) and something in the womb interacting with the 3rd son for example - the 1st and 2nd son won't be gay because their genes weren't activated.

You say that my view is subjective, but so is yours to an extent and your evidence from the human genome fella (which I'm not even sure you can count as hard evidence) doesn't say what you're claiming, so you should probably stop using him.

And, yes, people can choose to have sex with animals or eat other humans, but they don't choose to want to have sex with animals or eat other humans.
Original post by minimarshmallow
He has posted the link a good few times, it's also on my wall on my profile from someone called 'logical wisdom'.
However, this still doesn't mean that homosexuality is a choice! I've said this many times and MENDACIUM keeps ignoring it and repeating the same thing, none of which points to it being a choice.

Also, the bigots seem to think that demonstrating that it's a choice somehow justifies discrimination.

Even if it were a choice, which it's not, that doesn't logically lead to discrimination being okay.
That's like asking "What would you do if your child liked the colour green?". It really makes no difference whether they are homosexual or heterosexual :smile:
Also, the bigots seem to think that demonstrating that it's a choice somehow justifies discrimination.

Even if it were a choice, which it's not, that doesn't logically lead to discrimination being okay.

There's that too.
And far too much of the naturalistic fallacy.

I get sick of dealing with the same 'arguments' over and over again.
Reply 288
cry
I would love them unconditionally. It does not matter if you are gay or lesbian as long as you are a good person.
I wouldn't care a jot-other than being concerned for the issues gay people face that they may have to deal with.
Original post by chefdave
I'd honestly feel physically sick if my brother decided to shack up with another man. I can't believe you're so nonchalant about such things.

I don't really pay attention to my brother's sex life - why do you seem to be in possession of enough knowledge about what a sibling does behind closed doors to have it make you feel sick?

It would cut down on the bills I suppose.

Yeah, definitely don't have kids. I don't think under the bridge is a good environment to raise them in.
Seriously though, as long as they're not ginger I couldn't care less.
Reply 293
but I don't see why I have to validate myself to someone of below average intelligence before they'll do me the honour of debating my points.

You don't have any points to debate. Your posts are hilarious.. all you do is do your best to troll everyone with your appalling backwards opinions on homosexuals.
My views on homosexuality are reasonable, normal, and ones that the majority of right thinking people would easily identify with.

AFAIK most people -if given the choice- would prefer a straight child to a homosexual one, an inconvenient truth I know. ?

To be fair I think this is right, if you polled people anonymously I think it would prove this point.

However personally I'd be fine with my child being homosexual. I'd be concerned if they were a young teenager that they may be bullied, however attitudes have gotten much better and are improving, so by the time I have a kid hopefully they'd be okay. Somehow I imagine it being easier for a girl to be an open homosexual than a guy, but I have nothing to base that on.
Reply 295
And XX or XY chromosomes, gametes designed to fuse to become zygotes, a female with a womb to harbour children, breasts to feed them after childbirth, genital organs complementary to allow procreation ect. Sexuality , like zoohpilia , cannibalism, even religious beliefs, all come from conditioning and exposure. The truth is that we are biologically designed to mate with the opposite gender.

And a man's prostate is up his ass, why?
So like-minded gents of goodwill can provide some mutual enjoyment :smile:

No no no - it obviously can't be that, why would evolution work in the gays' favour? It's a choice - not a biological thing remember. :rolleyes:
Reply 297
Well I would start by sacrificing a goat to the might Jebus...

Seriously, what did you think was going to come of this thread?
Reply 298
Don't encourage me, I'm incorrigible, I assure you! ;-)

You have no idea how difficult it is to not make an innuendo out of incorrigible....
The ignore list was invented for vile thugs like you. Good day :wink:

Hah. Funny. :rolleyes:

Latest