The Student Room Group

Sending off passport as proof/identity

Hi there,

I am a home student holding a non-UK passport (indefinite leave to remain) so I will need to send in my passport as a proof of identity.
I was just wondering if sending my passport through the post was a secure way to do it, and I'm worried about the chances of it getting lost etc.

Please advise!

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm shocked they've asked you to do this!

Doesn't seem safe at all to me.
Original post by pizzle223
I'm shocked they've asked you to do this!

Doesn't seem safe at all to me.

well they haven't asked to do this as I haven't completed my online form. I just wanted to know more so that I can (mentally) prepare myself for the worrying lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I would try and contact them to ask if it's nessicary or whether a photocopy would do.

If you have to send the hard copy, then make sure you get industrial envelopes and then celotape round them. Also, if you can get stickers that say Urgent and Fragile then that's always a plus. However, if you're sending your passport round the London/South East area, the post system always gets quite clogged up.

It shouldn't go missing/get damaged (it just might get a little lost and take a couple extra days getting back to Finance) but if you can get photo evidence of the passport and then it all wrapped up and stuff, you can probably claim the money for a new one if the worst were to happen :smile:
They won't accept a photocopy if they asked fore the original.

Send it special delivery so you get proof it arrived.
Original post by yashkaminah
I would try and contact them to ask if it's nessicary or whether a photocopy would do.

If you have to send the hard copy, then make sure you get industrial envelopes and then celotape round them. Also, if you can get stickers that say Urgent and Fragile then that's always a plus. However, if you're sending your passport round the London/South East area, the post system always gets quite clogged up.

It shouldn't go missing/get damaged (it just might get a little lost and take a couple extra days getting back to Finance) but if you can get photo evidence of the passport and then it all wrapped up and stuff, you can probably claim the money for a new one if the worst were to happen :smile:

Original post by balotelli12
They won't accept a photocopy if they asked fore the original.

Send it special delivery so you get proof it arrived.

Thanks both of you.
Um yeah they will be askng for the hard copy, so I guess I'll have to send it off by special delivery.
I did it and it was fine, if you're really worried send it via recorded delivery.
Reply 7
I hate it when people are asked to do this kind of thing. Identity fraud isn't uncommon in this country, and it's not hard to tell when an envelope contains a passport.

Ask them if they will accept any other forms of ID, or if they can accept photocopies instead of originals (after all, they will probably just photocopy it themselves without inspecting it properly) and if you have to send it just send it Special Delivery :smile:
I had to do this awell but I still find it very strange and risky.

I sent it recorded and next day in a bubblewrap package blah blah. Dont just stick it in an envelope with a couple of stamps and cross your fingers haha.
I had to do this too unfortunately. Seems really risky to me..but fingers crossed everything turns out fine. I send it off with next special delivery. I've checked the status it says it's been delivered, how long did it take for them to send your passport back to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending