The Student Room Group

University of Southampton offer

Hey guys, so i applied to uni of Southampton waaay after the Jan 15 deadline and i got my conditional offer back a week after. Now, I have offers from other unis too and the reply deadline date is June 6th on UCAS. I wanted to put Southampton as my firm choice, however they require quite high grades. I have my IB exams in May and was thinking about making decisions after I'm done with them, so i already have a feel how they went and if i'll get the grades or not. I was wondering if it is important to reply as soon as possible to unis, and if i will be "disadvantaged" in any way if i reply let's say around may 25th.

(I also hesitate to make my firm and insurance choices because the first two unis i want to go too have almost the same requirement for IB, 32 and 31 points, and my third choice wants 28, however i really dont want to go there, but i dont want to go through clearance either. well i would love to go to southampton though)
Original post by luluxbetty
Hey guys, so i applied to uni of Southampton waaay after the Jan 15 deadline and i got my conditional offer back a week after. Now, I have offers from other unis too and the reply deadline date is June 6th on UCAS. I wanted to put Southampton as my firm choice, however they require quite high grades. I have my IB exams in May and was thinking about making decisions after I'm done with them, so i already have a feel how they went and if i'll get the grades or not. I was wondering if it is important to reply as soon as possible to unis, and if i will be "disadvantaged" in any way if i reply let's say around may 25th.

(I also hesitate to make my firm and insurance choices because the first two unis i want to go too have almost the same requirement for IB, 32 and 31 points, and my third choice wants 28, however i really dont want to go there, but i dont want to go through clearance either. well i would love to go to southampton though)

It's unlikely that you'll be at a disadvantage. If you're going to be living in halls, you should check out the universities policies on applying, as some only offer students to apply for accommodation when you're holding a firm offer. But most universities don't open their accommodation applications until after June anyway.

You should probably go and visit all the universities to see which ones you're interested in. If you really want Southampton, then firm them :smile:

You can wait until your exams are done, and see how they have gone. You're lucky really as those who apply before the deadline have to reply at the beginning of May.

I personally think you should firm and insure your top two choices that require 32 and 31 points. If you get 31 points, the one requiring 32 may accept you still, and the same could apply if you get only 30 points. (I don't know how the IB works!)
Check that your deadline is 6 June - if you've received offers/rejections from all your choices already then the default deadline to reply is 8th May.

6 June is only the deadline if one or more of your choices isn't decided by....today.

UCAS
8 May 2013

If we receive all decisions from your universities/colleges by 31 March, you need to reply to any offers by this date (unless you are applying through Extra). If we don't receive your replies, we will decline your offers on your behalf.
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Check that your deadline is 6 June - if you've received offers/rejections from all your choices already then the default deadline to reply is 8th May.

6 June is only the deadline if one or more of your choices isn't decided by....today.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates

Thank you very much for your reply and the link. I don't know much about the system since I am applying from the United States. I though it was June 6th because the following appeared on the side in UCAS Track "to reply to your offers you must reply by Thu, 6 Jun 2013"
As I read through UCAS policies, they said the deadline to reply to offers will appear on the side (as it did) after all my choices made their decision and if i don't meet that deadline, then they will reject on my behalf.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending