The Student Room Group

Any Nurses with a creative background?

I've been juggling with the idea since 2010 (having applied to an Access to Nursing course),only to hit and miss the opportunity by a simple mathematics issue ( my maths sucks basically).

But ever since I can remember the sheer joy and admiration I've had towards nurses has been undeniable,it just makes me quite nostalgic in a way.

I've been shy to admit it,I've been scared if I would commit to it but due to a few life events during my gap year experience it has been pushing its way out of the back of my mind out into the forefront again as a possibility,due to the fact that my 1st option career may not be easily pursued anymore.

I want to know if anyone has dared to transition or been inspired to become a nurse having being an arty-farty/creative kind of person in the past?

If so please share your experiences.

It would really help give me an insight,because as late as it is I am considering studying an NVQ Level 2 in Health and Social Care,in the near future.
Reply 1
yep, me. I'm a graphic designer by trade, (age, ancient). But I applied last year and have had two offers to study Child Nursing this September. So, yes, it's possible.
One of my children did have a chronic health condition, so I've had a big insight into the world of nursing over the last seven years, which may have helped my application.
Reply 2
Original post by lilibet01
yep, me. I'm a graphic designer by trade, (age, ancient). But I applied last year and have had two offers to study Child Nursing this September. So, yes, it's possible.
One of my children did have a chronic health condition, so I've had a big insight into the world of nursing over the last seven years, which may have helped my application.

Oh thats great! I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I was getting a bit worried,as I watched the tumbleweed pass by this thread,lol. Congratulations on the offers,where may they be if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:
Original post by ForeverinCoco
I've been juggling with the idea since 2010 (having applied to an Access to Nursing course),only to hit and miss the opportunity by a simple mathematics issue ( my maths sucks basically).

But ever since I can remember the sheer joy and admiration I've had towards nurses has been undeniable,it just makes me quite nostalgic in a way.

I've been shy to admit it,I've been scared if I would commit to it but due to a few life events during my gap year experience it has been pushing its way out of the back of my mind out into the forefront again as a possibility,due to the fact that my 1st option career may not be easily pursued anymore.

I want to know if anyone has dared to transition or been inspired to become a nurse having being an arty-farty/creative kind of person in the past?

If so please share your experiences.

It would really help give me an insight,because as late as it is I am considering studying an NVQ Level 2 in Health and Social Care,in the near future.

Hey. Yes me. When i left school i took a course in Media.. then a HNC in Creative professional Writing. It wasnt until i did a journalism voluntary experience in a hospital radio that i realised i wasnt in the career that i wanted.. and instead wanted to go into nursing. I took a few years out. Went travelling.. working in various jobs. Then applied this year when i knew i was ready. I now have an unconditional Offer for adult nursing.. and im still waiting on another univeristy getting back to me. So its never too late :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 4
I've had offers from Kingston (firmed) and City (insurance).
Reply 5
@Lilibet: Thats great,City will be my 2nd choice when I start applying!
Kings College being my top aim! :biggrin:
What is Kingston like,have you been to the open day?

@Louise: Congratulations on an unconditional,you've done so well!
Where have you applied,and what route did you take to get to degree level?

@Louise: Congratulations on an unconditional,you've done so well!
Where have you applied,and what route did you take to get to degree level?

hey. Thank you. All i applied with was my hnc in creative writing. i have standard grades maths as requested.. Plus a higher. Ive been out of study for a few years so im very lucky to get an offer to be honest. Ive worked alot with people in the past few years tho so maybe that helped. I triend to convey this in my personal statement. I live in scotland so i aplied dundee, stirling, edin, gcu and rgu. Ive been accepted to stirling. I declined edin.. and was unsuccesful for rgu and gcu due to no recent study (but i expected that) just waiting on dundee now. If i didnt get in this year i would have done an access course but i have been quite fortunate. :smile:
Reply 7

morning!
I liked City and Kingston, but preferred Kingston because of their ethos towards mature students. Plus the uni is split over two sites, which makes it smaller and more manageable. It's 3 miles out of the centre of Kingston, which is a bit of pain, but there is a regular (free) uni bus that takes you there. The lecturers I met were all very nice and approachable and I got the impression that if they choose you, they really want you to succeed and will support you as much as they can. The other reason why I went for Kingston, not City, is for practical reasons. I live in SW London, so although it will take me 40 mins plus to get to the uni (which is the same to get to Angel), I'm better placed for placements, whereas placements for City are right the other side of London from me.
I did apply to Kings College as well, but they immediately turned me down because I hadn't done any studying in the previous five years, which, quite frankly I thought was a bit anti mature students.
Good luck with your applications.
I am considering to study nursing from this december.
I've done Media & Cultural Studies at university so I guess I'd be coming from something creative too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending