The Student Room Group

Deposit request from Glasgow

Much to my surprise I got an e-mail yesterday from the University of Glasgow, from which I have been made a conditional offer for a place on a taught postgraduate course, saying that they require a 300 pound deposit and that "payment of the deposit is on a first-come-first-served basis and you should make your deposit as soon as possible in order to secure your offer".

Does anyone have any idea what they might mean by as soon as possible? Will they give me some notice or will they suddenly just withdraw my offer?

The problem is that I am waiting for a decision from another university, because Glasgow is not my first choice. And of course they won't refund the deposit if i decide to study elsewhere.

I have now sent them the required documents so that they can make me an unconditional offer, with hope that they might at least give me a deadline for the payment of the deposit..

I'm kind of freaking out, any information will be gratelly appreciated.

Original post by stephanie2
Much to my surprise I got an e-mail yesterday from the University of Glasgow, from which I have been made a conditional offer for a place on a taught postgraduate course, saying that they require a 300 pound deposit and that "payment of the deposit is on a first-come-first-served basis and you should make your deposit as soon as possible in order to secure your offer".

Does anyone have any idea what they might mean by as soon as possible? Will they give me some notice or will they suddenly just withdraw my offer?

The problem is that I am waiting for a decision from another university, because Glasgow is not my first choice. And of course they won't refund the deposit if i decide to study elsewhere.

I have now sent them the required documents so that they can make me an unconditional offer, with hope that they might at least give me a deadline for the payment of the deposit..

I'm kind of freaking out, any information will be gratelly appreciated.

They are making you take the risk rather than them, or at least risk sharing. So you have to weigh up whether you are prepared to risk £300 or your place at Glasgow. I doubt they will give you a deadline by which to pay the deposit, because the terms of the deal are first come first served. That is usually incompatible with a deadline.
What course is it? Unless it's very popular, you should be alright. I can't imagine most courses at at Glasgow would fill up this early and you won't be the only one reluctant to pay it so soon...
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies.

Original post by threeportdrift
They are making you take the risk rather than them, or at least risk sharing. So you have to weigh up whether you are prepared to risk £300 or your place at Glasgow. I doubt they will give you a deadline by which to pay the deposit, because the terms of the deal are first come first served. That is usually incompatible with a deadline.

I don't understand how this works.. do they give out more offers than the places that they have and then take the people who pay first? It's unbelievable!!

Do you think two weeks will be too long to delay paying the deposit?

I will phone and ask them, but they probably won't be able to tell me anyway..

Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
What course is it? Unless it's very popular, you should be alright. I can't imagine most courses at at Glasgow would fill up this early and you won't be the only one reluctant to pay it so soon...

It's a psychology conversion course (MSc Psychological Studies) and their excuse for asking for a deposit is that it is very popular, unfortunately..

They are so mean!! :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by stephanie2
I don't understand how this works.. do they give out more offers than the places that they have and then take the people who pay first? It's unbelievable!!

All universities over-offer for their postgraduate courses, because there are a lot of people who can't take up their places unless they receive funding as well as a lot of people who have received more than one offer and choose to go elsewhere. The only thing that's a bit unusual is the 'first come first served' bit, which seems to be a slightly underhand way of forcing offer-holders into making a quick decision.
Even if it's a popular course, though, I don't suppose it would really be in the department's interest to over-offer massively beyond what's needed to make up for the places that don't get taken up through lack of funding or people choosing to go elsewhere. It would only mean unnecessary admin work for them, and if they did turn away vast numbers of offer-holders for not paying the deposit right away they'd be likely to end up getting bad press for it (which presumably they'll want to avoid). So I'd say there's still a good chance that taking a couple of weeks to make up your mind won't cost you your place - after all, there'll be a lot of other people in your situation and they won't necessarily want to rush their decision any more than you do. It's impossible to be certain, though, of course...:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by hobnob
All universities over-offer for their postgraduate courses, because there are a lot of people who can't take up their places unless they receive funding as well as a lot of people who have received more than one offer and choose to go elsewhere. The only thing that's a bit unusual is the 'first come first served' bit, which seems to be a slightly underhand way of forcing offer-holders into making a quick decision.
Even if it's a popular course, though, I don't suppose it would really be in the department's interest to over-offer massively beyond what's needed to make up for the places that don't get taken up through lack of funding or people choosing to go elsewhere. It would only mean unnecessary admin work for them, and if they did turn away vast numbers of offer-holders for not paying the deposit right away they'd be likely to end up getting bad press for it (which presumably they'll want to avoid). So I'd say there's still a good chance that taking a couple of weeks to make up your mind won't cost you your place - after all, there'll be a lot of other people in your situation and they won't necessarily want to rush their decision any more than you do. It's impossible to be certain, though, of course...:frown:

I guess that makes sense, thanks for explaining. I hope you're right and that they won't be to strict about the first-come-first-served thing!

I will phone them on Monday and see if they can tell me how long I can risk delaying the paying of the deposit before I lose my place..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending