The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would suggest doing yoga first, build up the flexability! Good luck with whatever you do.
It depends, you wont be able to become a professional dancer at that age but if you are doing it just for fun then yes :smile: Some places to adult ballet classes :smile:
I know people who started Ballet, as a hobby/fitness and they were into their 40s, 50s.

Nobody is too old to dance IMO. If you're doing it for fun, hobby, fitness, then go for it.
There are some great ballet fitness DVDs available on Amazon, and although they can be quite challenging, I found they really did help with my flexibility. I'd recommend trying one of them first - I think the one I purchased was called Ballet Conditioning, which I would definitely say is worth it.
Reply 5
Original post by Sweet by and by
It depends, you wont be able to become a professional dancer at that age but if you are doing it just for fun then yes :smile: Some places to adult ballet classes :smile:

Yea exactly, you can start almost anything at almost any age but you will never be "good" at ballet now, never really enough to perform except perhaps in very small ways and if you happen to have a strong talent for it.

As such, many schools may be reluctant to take you on, but I'm sure you can find adult classes somewhere.

I'm involved in teaching in certain fields and it's the same there, what we want is young people who will take to it well, become very good, and then sustain the art when the older people die/retire. Having a 50 year old come and want to "have a go" is kind of pointless, as they'll never be good and will always just be a huge burden on the teacher, holding everyone else back.
Adult classes exist, I used to do ballet til I was 16 and recently decided I want to take it up again! There are certainly classes. You'll never be a professional, not sure you'd ever realy perform but if its just for fun you can certainly do it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lumen
Is it possible to begin ballet at 19? :frown: I'm afraid that it's too late. I'm not flexible at all - quite the opposite in fact - but I like the idea of learning a form of dancing that is taught as a 'discipline' rather than just a way of keeping fit. Maybe I should do another type of dance/exercise first before I try ballet?

No, well you won't be able to become professional but you could defo have it as a hobby! You will just need to do a lot of muscle building work before pointe and work on your flexibility - I agree with the person who said try yoga to improve flexibility. You should definitely go for it, I love ballet and you will too :biggrin:
You can practice some things at home eg use a piece of furniture as a barre for plies, battements tendus, releves and other barre work? You might also want to do some weights in the gym because ballet can be a huge strain on your muscles.
Original post by Etoile
No, well you won't be able to become professional but you could defo have it as a hobby! You will just need to do a lot of muscle building work before pointe and work on your flexibility - I agree with the person who said try yoga to improve flexibility. You should definitely go for it, I love ballet and you will too :biggrin:
You can practice some things at home eg use a piece of furniture as a barre for plies, battements tendus, releves and other barre work? You might also want to do some weights in the gym because ballet can be a huge strain on your muscles.

It is unlikely that she'll become a professional dancer however it is not impossible ! Whether or not she's flexible.... Flexibility increases when you're constantly dancing (if that even makes sense lol) but my mum used to be a professional ballet dancer and only started at the age of 17 so it really isn't too late unless you have the determination :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BuddingAchiever
It is unlikely that she'll become a professional dancer however it is not impossible ! Whether or not she's flexible.... Flexibility increases when you're constantly dancing (if that even makes sense lol) but my mum used to be a professional ballet dancer and only started at the age of 17 so it really isn't too late unless you have the determination :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much the case with anything really.
And well done your mum!!
You're never too old to learn something new :smile:

Goodluck

Latest