Is Psychology a science?

Whats your view?

Scroll to see replies

no
Reply 2
Kind of...
Reply 3
Explain why?
You can make any subject a "science" (including English @ poster above me) if you use the scientific method to study it.

So yes, psychology could be a science depending on what you're doing in it.
an inexact one perhaps.
Reply 6
yes and no.
Reply 7
Some aspects of psychology are more scienftic than others, for example research into schizophrenia as atleast some of this is empirical data and worked out in experiments. However other areas of psychology are not scientifc for example anomalistic psychology as it is all based on what people think rather than actual scientific data
Reply 8
Yes
Of course it's a science, it employs scientific method. Anyone who says otherwise is just a bit sad, believing something strange because they feel they're one of the stupidest on their course and want to console themselves by making up some kind of ranking system based around subject. Certain aspects of it might be more qualitative more than quantitative, and that makes people get a bit snooty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Personally, I think some parts are a science and some parts are as scientific as media GCSE.

Can it be proved?

Does it use equipment such as brain scans?

If answer yes, it is.

I do psychology A-level and it's very 'this is this because x said so-but this psychologist fount errors in his findings..'

No, not a science.
Reply 11
Yes. If course it is. It uses scientific method, it uses the same principles as any other science.
I'm doing psychology for my undergrad and it's very science based, especially neuropsychology, biological psychology and cognitive psychology. I don't see how you can dispute that as a science.

I can see why social psychology may be a little less scientific because it's hard to identify causal relationships, it often relies on less robust research methods but it still uses the scientific method.
Reply 12
It's a social science, not a science like maths/physics/bio/chem etc
I think it is. It involves coming up with a hypothesis, then conducting experiments to either accept or reject them, using statistics to evaluate results etc. then having it peer reviewed blabla.
Reply 14
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Of course it's a science, it employs scientific method. Anyone who says otherwise is just a bit sad, believing something strange because they feel they're one of the stupidest on their course and want to console themselves by making up some kind of ranking system based around subject. Certain aspects of it might be more qualitative more than quantitative, and that makes people get a bit snooty.

This. I'm out of rep today but I'm definitely going to rep you another time sir. Thank you. :smile:
I have a degree in it, and I'd still say No.
Original post by Annuhlees

I do psychology A-level and it's very 'this is this because x said so-but this psychologist fount errors in his findings..'

No, not a science.

That's a very perfectly scientific thing to say; scientific work is constantly being re-examined and peer-reviewed.
(edited 11 years ago)

No, not a science.

Sounds exactly like my Physics A level to be honest :holmes:
Reply 18
Yes/No ... it really depends on what is being researched/studied, what approach of psychology is being taken. I think people who want to disregard psychology as a science because it is seen as "soft" is a very closed minded way to look at the subject.
Personally, I think some parts are a science and some parts are as scientific as media GCSE.

Can it be proved?

Does it use equipment such as brain scans?

If answer yes, it is.

No, not a science.

You either misunderstood the subject or a teacher misled you. They would NEVER say "someone said x, therefore x is correct".

Because psychology is a fairly new science though, I think they need to fill it up with a lot of history which is something I hate. When they say that person x said y, they mean it as just that. They're not telling you that the person is right or wrong because their hypothesis hasn't been tested. If the hypothesis has been tested properly, then according to the result they will state that there is some evidence for or against the assertion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending