The Student Room Group

What is a good pay for a first job?

I started waitressing at a local Indian restaurant last night. Wasnt actually looking for a job so was pretty lucky to get offered one from one of the waiters, didnt need an interview or anything, just turned up! Anyways, I thought I would be getting paied around £5 an hour, the pay is £4 (4/5pm - 11ish pm), im not fussed though cause Im not bothered about the money. I think it would be good experience cause ive never had a job before and the manager said that waitressing is the same at any resturant, so it could be useful if I go to uni:tongue: what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

£3.68 is the norm

That's the NMW
Original post by _beccawalker
what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got paid £3.94 an hour to work in Card Factory until I turned 18 and now it's £4.96 which is better but still annoying when you're working just as hard as everyone else for less. :smile:
First job I got paid £18 a week as a paper boy. Last part time job was £8.80/hr. I would expect to get paid minimum wage for most menial jobs. Minimum is £4 for under 18's, and £5 for over 18's.
Original post by doggyfizzel
First job I got paid £18 a week as a paper boy. Last part time job was £8.80/hr. I would expect to get paid minimum wage for most menial jobs. Minimum is £4 for under 18's, and £5 for over 18's.

Minimum is £3.68
I started waitressing at a local Indian restaurant last night. Wasnt actually looking for a job so was pretty lucky to get offered one from one of the waiters, didnt need an interview or anything, just turned up! Anyways, I thought I would be getting paied around £5 an hour, the pay is £4 (4/5pm - 11ish pm), im not fussed though cause Im not bothered about the money. I think it would be good experience cause ive never had a job before and the manager said that waitressing is the same at any resturant, so it could be useful if I go to uni:tongue: what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I get £5.00 an hour, 6 hour shifts, at an Indian restaurant (waiting). I think that's really good, so £4.00 is not bad at all!
You can't expect more (or much more) than NMW. Who are you comparing yourself to? People who are older and likely to have more experience?
About 4 quid an hour, can't remember exactly. At that age I was just happy to get any money at all.
I think it varies in a restaurant, and your age.
I work in retail and it varies with how old you are.
£2.60 an hour - it was an apprenticeship and I was on minimum wage for that! But then when I got taken on afterwards I was on £3.68 an hour - which was standard minimum for my age. I say it's money at the end of the day, and an experience, plus there's nothing like developing a good work ethic :smile:
Reply 10
£5.90 p/h when I was 16, and that was 6 years ago. I was very lucky to get that, though. I worked at Schuh and they didn't pay people differently based on their age.
My first paper round paid £7 a week. It felt like a fortune.
Reply 12
depends what age
what did you get paid for your first job and what was it?

I worked at a new KFC that opened up near me, on £4 an hour. I was 16 at the time and I just thought I was crazy lucky to have a job. I am 17 now and I have since left the job, because they treated me really quite badly. I was the only white person that worked there and I felt a lot of prejudice being put on me. They also used to speak in their own languages, and when I asked what they were talking about, they'd just ignore me. It wasn't worth the £4/hr I was getting, so I left.
But now I think I regret leaving, because I don't have a job and it sucks.
Reply 14
My first Job when I was 14 was like £3 or £3.50 an hour or something! I still work in the same place but I'll be on NMW for over 21s soon, £6.19 or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first job was £7.79 ph working at a Tesco superstore in Outer London. They sacked all of the temps after a month though :frown:
£6.95 p/h at Sainsburys once I'd passed the 12 week probation, was about £5.40 before that. Just about to drop to £2.50 an hour as I am taking on an apprenticeship :tongue: All good experience though, I was lucky to have a good 19 months in a decent job with fairly good pay for what it was and my experience 9lack of) :smile:
Reply 17
First job I had was during my 2nd year at uni so i was about 19...working on a helpdesk helping people connect their pcs/laptops to the uni intranet. £8/hr so was very decent and came in very handy!
My first job was £8p/h, working in a surgery doing general administrative work - filing patient records, timetabling appointments etc. (Over the summer after first year of university).
Reply 19
My first "job" was as a paper boy which I got £10 a week for. Now I get £5 an hour working in a cafe. I think it's fair but I know friends who get more for arguably easier jobs. I don't really spend a lot of money at the minute anyway so the job is more to save up a little bit for uni plus building confidence and gaining experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending