The Student Room Group

I want to do medicine but i've offers for aeronautical engineering!!!HELP!!!

I applied for aeronautical engineering and realised now that i want to study for medicine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However i can only apply to those who dont require biology.

My predicitions:
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
chemistry - A
physics - A

is there anything i can do on results to change the course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help im in mad stress:frown:

Edit : I actually have done work experience relating to medicine

EDIT 2 : is it the same for foundation course
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
you saying you applied this year for aeronautical engineering but now want to do medicine? ... if you don't mind me asking why'd you change your mind so late? anyhow, if you're certainly sure you want to do medicine there's two options:
complete a degree in aeronautical engineering and apply as a graduate or withdraw your application and apply for 2014 undergrad entry. If you haven't already you're gonna need some work experience, simply volunteering in a caring environment will usually suffice but if you can get some shadow stuff that'd be good. In my opinion I'd withdraw and apply for undergrad med. Though during the year I'd complete an a-level in biology to broaden your options and also try to get some part time work (in a caring environment if possible). Hope i've helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tdx
you saying you applied this year for aeronautical engineering but now want to do medicine? ... if you don't mind me asking why'd you change your mind so late? anyhow, if you're certainly sure you want to do medicine there's two options:
complete a degree in aeronautical engineering and apply as a graduate or withdraw your application and apply for 2014 undergrad entry. If you haven't already you're gonna need some work experience, simply volunteering in a caring environment will usually suffice but if you can get some shadow stuff that'd be good. In my opinion I'd withdraw and apply for undergrad med. Though during the year I'd complete an a-level in biology to broaden your options and also try to get some part time work (in a caring environment if possible). Hope i've helped :smile:

Thank you but i'm not going to withdraw my application and also completeing my degree which is 4 years then going to medicine is really long. Also my parents will not agree to this. It looks like nothing can be done.
Reply 3
Original post by Sujman

It looks like nothing can be done.

I am intrigued

What did you think could be done

Medical applications have to be made by October before the year of entry ... did you seriously imagine that with no previous commitment and no work experience you could simply make a late application [on results day from your original post!!!]

I have to be honest ... this shows a complete lack of understanding regarding medicine at university
Reply 4
There is absolutely nothing you can do on results day, as previously posted, you can either apply as a graduate, or apply next year. There's not alternatives I'm afraid. Also you will need biology to at least AS as far as I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
I am intrigued

What did you think could be done

Medical applications have to be made by October before the year of entry ... did you seriously imagine that with no previous commitment and no work experience you could simply make a late application [on results day from your original post!!!]

I have to be honest ... this shows a complete lack of understanding regarding medicine at university

I actually have done work experience relative to medicine such as working in pharmacy for a week and etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Sujman
I actually have done work experience relative to medicine such as working in pharmacy for a week and etc.

Ah

So did you just change your mind last september

In that case why not withdraw and re-apply
Reply 7
Ah

So did you just change your mind last september

In that case why not withdraw and re-apply

re-apply for 2014? my parents will not agree
Reply 8
Original post by Sujman

Then you are out of luck

As I said ... you cannot really imagine that looking for a medicine course on results day was going to lead to success
You've got to do what's best for you, OP. You say your parents don't agree but are they doing the degree? Can you imagine doing a three year degree of something you don't want to do? Then, if you wanted to do medicine after all, you'd be older and probably won't qualify for student finance.

My parents didn't agree with me dropping out of sixth form when I was 16. However, nearly 4 years down the line, it's actually been beneficial because I'm now doing an access course I love instead of ****ty Health and Social care, am in a better place mentally, and have years of work experience.

Do what's right for YOU, not what pleases your parents.

Good luck with everything!
Reply 10
Original post by HopefulMidwife
You've got to do what's best for you, OP. You say your parents don't agree but are they doing the degree? Can you imagine doing a three year degree of something you don't want to do? Then, if you wanted to do medicine after all, you'd be older and probably won't qualify for student finance.

My parents didn't agree with me dropping out of sixth form when I was 16. However, nearly 4 years down the line, it's actually been beneficial because I'm now doing an access course I love instead of ****ty Health and Social care, am in a better place mentally, and have years of work experience.

Do what's right for YOU, not what pleases your parents.

Good luck with everything!

Thank you but to be honest i don't mind doing aeronautical and i dont want to stay another year.
Reply 11
Then you are out of luck

As I said ... you cannot really imagine that looking for a medicine course on results day was going to lead to success

yep i agree but thank you anyway

i've got a place at bristol univerisity for aerospace engineering and i spoke to them today and they said its not possible to change it now because all the interviews and procedure are over.
Original post by Sujman

With all do respect, listen to your parents advise but it is your life. You do what you want to do not what your parents want because at the end of the day you're the one who's going to be working in said career path for a long time, not them. I mean that in the most respectful way because I understand what it is like to grow up with parents who have certain expectations and ideals they want you to take or follow but sometimes its not the best idea or suited to you, and you should politely let them know that.

It may also be the case that a lack of enthusiasm in the engineering course means you won't do so well, so it really is better to go with what you're interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sujman
Thank you but to be honest i don't mind doing aeronautical and i dont want to stay another year.

Okay, up to you. I wish you lots of luck!
Reply 14
Then you are out of luck

is it the same for foundation course
Original post by Sujman
is it the same for foundation course

I would imagine so

Competition is fierce
Reply 16
Lol you're so uninformed - you really thought it would be possible to switch last minute?
It sounds like medicine is a whim for you and that you'd be better off sticking to what you applied for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending