The Student Room Group

Joining Labour? (Membership?)

I want to get more involved. And on the website there's an option to start a membership for a certain fee per month (£1 for students I believe). I want to ask if you guys think it's worth it from experience? And what can I do as a member and what do I gain in being a member?

Btw please don't criticise my choice of party if you're not a fan of labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Haha. The fascist tendancies already xomming out in you. 'Please dont criticise my choice' ghaha you'll have a good career in the Labour party. May as well start brushing up on the race card whilst you're at it.
Reply 2
Original post by slickrick666999
Haha. The fascist tendancies already xomming out in you. 'Please dont criticise my choice' ghaha you'll have a good career in the Labour party. May as well start brushing up on the race card whilst you're at it.

Or you know, you could be more of a complete tool if you do your best and think positive thoughts on how you would be. Perhaps it may be beneficial to you if you hit together your ruby slippers?

If he wants want join Labour, let him, although I personally am not fan of labour, at least he doesn't become some moronic mook that is stupid enough to criticize someone's choice in vote with the sole reason of the guy not wanting to made a fool of. You seem like some 16 year old who thinks it's now cool to hate both any party. Get an education and criticize people's beliefs with actual evidence, rather than because a mate/family member told you too. Savvy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Not going to criticise your choice of party because that is just pathetic. I believe it is around £1 for students which is great value to be honest. I know that being a member allows you to go to local meetings and have a vote in leadership contests and what not. You should see if your university has a labour society, which it should and join from there. It's possible to do a lot of volunteering out of them, and you gain as much from it as you put in.
Original post by Gjaykay
Or you know, you could be more of a complete tool if you do your best and think positive thoughts on how you would be. Perhaps it may be beneficial to you if you hit together your ruby slippers?

If he wants want join Labour, let him, although I personally am not fan of labour, at least he doesn't become some moronic mook that is stupid enough to criticize someone's choice in vote with the sole reason of the guy not wanting to made a fool of. You seem like some 16 year old who thinks it's now cool to hate both Labour and Tories. Get an education and criticize people's beliefs with actual evidence, rather than because mate told you too. Savvy?

With that attitude you should deffinatley sign up too. Hate free speech do you? Can't hack my opinion either? Honestly, you need to ease up and realise Politicics is about criticising. I don't need evidence to claim Labour likes the race card. Btw sod your 'education'. Or PC indoctrination.
Reply 5
With that attitude you should deffinatley sign up too. Hate free speech do you? Can't hack my opinion either? Honestly, you need to ease up and realise Politicics is about criticising. I don't need evidence to claim Labour likes the race card. Btw sod your 'education'. Or PC indoctrination.

I'm pro free speech, which is why I call you a mook if I feel like it, by the by. I don't care about your opinion, but when you're showing yourself off as a complete tool, I hope you don't hate free speech so much that you don't mind me calling you a complete tool for it :smile:

I understand politics is about debating and criticizing, but they have the brains to provide real facts about what they're against, instead of just being - and I do understand how repetitive I'm being - a complete tool. Saying a party likes the race card is just quite frankly stupid. They have done things about race I'm not a big fan of, provide some evidence rather than being a child in your next post, yeah?
(edited 11 years ago)
Why would you want to pay money to people that want to destroy the country?
Reply 7
A couple of people I know joined in 2010, just to vote for Ed. Balls.
Reply 8
Original post by cake_lover
I want to get more involved. And on the website there's an option to start a membership for a certain fee per month (£1 for students I believe). I want to ask if you guys think it's worth it from experience? And what can I do as a member and what do I gain in being a member?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there I joined the party a couple of years back, for me it opened doors to new opportunities in the party and I have done loads of stuff e.g campaigned, canvassed, I did a speech at one of the conference and I was a counting agent for a candidate in the council elections. All these things look great on a CV. My advice to you would be try to go to all the local event and get yourself noticed :smile:
Reply 9

you're entitled to criticise my choice, I just didnt want this thread to become a big political debate or arguments to start out, I just want my queries to be answered. Just a request to keep all posts relevant.
Reply 10
You'll get a lot of stuff through the post, that's for sure, I know I did when I became a member of the Tories.

The general stuff is that you'll get invitiations to events, be asked to help out with local campaigns, appealed to for funding etc. Though perhaps less on the funding front for Labour.
Reply 11
Original post by aadam10
Hi there I joined the party a couple of years back, for me it opened doors to new opportunities in the party and I have done loads of stuff e.g campaigned, canvassed, I did a speech at one of the conference and I was a counting agent for a candidate in the council elections. All these things look great on a CV. My advice to you would be try to go to all the local event and get yourself noticed :smile:

Would I be allowed to vote on the party's policies and things like that?

I'm at uni but I cant seem to find a labour society at my uni, maybe i havnt looked hard enough. But I would just be interested in the list of things I gain from being a member.
Reply 12
Original post by Steevee
You'll get a lot of stuff through the post, that's for sure, I know I did when I became a member of the Tories.

The general stuff is that you'll get invitiations to events, be asked to help out with local campaigns, appealed to for funding etc. Though perhaps less on the funding front for Labour.

Thanks, that's quite helpful. :smile:
Reply 13
Lots of emails from HQ, you can get involved in the Party: running for various positions etc
Reply 14
Original post by Steevee

Pretty much what steeve said. You get to go to meetings and they'll ask if you want to volunteer so leaflet distribution/door to door/admin or office work. It can just be people joining do it to make a financial contribution or for a more active role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take an interest in politics is good. Personally though I steer clear of party politics as it gets tribal and you end up blindly supporting policies that you don't believe in.
Reply 16
lololololol 13 years in power lololololololol bankrupted us why would u vote fer them lololololololololoololol.
Reply 17
Original post by Gjaykay
I'm pro free speech, which is why I call you a mook if I feel like it, by the by. I don't care about your opinion, but when you're showing yourself off as a complete tool, I hope you don't hate free speech so much that you don't mind me calling you a complete tool for it :smile:

I understand politics is about debating and criticizing, but they have the brains to provide real facts about what they're against, instead of just being - and I do understand how repetitive I'm being - a complete tool. Saying a party likes the race card is just quite frankly stupid. They have done things about race I'm not a big fan of, provide some evidence rather than being a child in your next post, yeah?

You are also a complete tool
Reply 18
Would I be allowed to vote on the party's policies and things like that?

I'm at uni but I cant seem to find a labour society at my uni, maybe i havnt looked hard enough. But I would just be interested in the list of things I gain from being a member.

Yh at conferences you get to debate about certain policies and sometimes you get to vote.

Oh thats strange there usually is one but hopefully you find one or even better you could probably create one lol. what Uni do you go to?
Reply 19
Original post by aadam10
Yh at conferences you get to debate about certain policies and sometimes you get to vote.

Oh thats strange there usually is one but hopefully you find one or even better you could probably create one lol. what Uni do you go to?

I'm at reading, I searched for a labour society and found a link to my student union site, but it stated that it doesn't exist, was quite upsetting :frown:

I've just joined the Labour Party, and they say a membership pack is going to be sent to me, would you know what is in this pack?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending