The Student Room Group

Is £110 enough to live off as a student?

I am getting around £7300 of student loans including the maintenance grants and loan. That will be paid to me in three installments. So that works outs £2400 every three months.

My accommodation is £3300 for the whole year. So say I pay that in every 3 months.

I am left with £433 every month after paying accommodation
I aim to get a part time job since I got my security license and retail experience but that ain't hasn't happen yet
I have a saving over around £1000 from working in the summer.

Any advice on how to budget with the amount of money would be grateful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£110 is loads!!!!
As long as your careful and don't spend money on uncessary items eg clothes then you'll be fine
Reply 3
Per week? Easily! With that budget you should be saving half, spending half - if you can even find enough crap to spend half of that on.

It's over 15 quid every single day, if you can't stop yourself spunking away that much money every single day then you have a problem
Reply 4
I've worked out I have 60 a week to live off :frown:
Reply 5
Its is £110 without a part time job and £180 per week with job. So how should I save it. I be in uni for three years and plan on either doing a masters degree or move to new location for a graduate job both will require £7000. How should I budget that amount to get decent savings and avoid wasting money.
Reply 6
Original post by lucyab
I've worked out I have 60 a week to live off :frown:

Really?, that tough. Good luck with that.
Reply 7
Original post by Vibenation
Really?, that tough. Good luck with that.

Thanks! I've got a transfer sorted though so il have a job, hopefully about 50 a week :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lucyab
Thanks! I've got a transfer sorted though so il have a job, hopefully about 50 a week :smile:

Which company are you transfer to, is it with McDonalds? Personally I am looking for a new job instead. i don't like my current part time job and recently quit my other retail job and any job with customer service can be annoying sometime for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Which company are you transfer to, is it with McDonalds? Personally I am looking for a new job instead. i don't like my current part time job and recently quit my other retail job and any job with customer service can be annoying sometime for me.

Yeah it is. I wish I coul but they're really flexible with hours so it helps a lot.
Reply 10
Original post by lucyab
Yeah it is. I wish I coul but they're really flexible with hours so it helps a lot.

At least, you getting paper money cash in the end of the day and its not that bad compared to Menkind my old employer. I hate them badly. Looking forward to uni, this year. I just got my accommodation offer for parkside halls and counting the days for freshers week.
Reply 11
At least, you getting paper money cash in the end of the day and its not that bad compared to Menkind my old employer. I hate them badly. Looking forward to uni, this year. I just got my accommodation offer for parkside halls and counting the days for freshers week.

I gt parkside village :smile: not sure yet if il be living there or with my boyfriend though. Yeh i suppose, it can pay for my phone bill and things so my student money I actually mine!

I used to work for MenKind too! Haha.

OP, I think £110 per week is more than enough to live off tbh. So long as you budget properly, not overspend on take aways etc and you should be fine. I find that spending money as cash helps rather than spending money on my card too, as I lose track when I spend on my card, and money dwindles like air!
I managed to live off £10 a week towards the end of each term and, while it isn't nice, it's certainly possible :smile:.
After accommodation £60 a week should be fine as long as you are sensible and careful with your money.
Reply 15
I think factoring accommodation and what I get my from Maintenance loan (which is the minimum amount) I'm left with about £150 for the entire year. I have to pay for everything out my savings.

What you're getting a week is way more than most.
Reply 16
As long as you have food, roof over your head you can't complain about anything.
Reply 17
Original post by Knalchemist
I used to work for MenKind too! Haha.

OP, I think £110 per week is more than enough to live off tbh. So long as you budget properly, not overspend on take aways etc and you should be fine. I find that spending money as cash helps rather than spending money on my card too, as I lose track when I spend on my card, and money dwindles like air!

Ok thanks and how long did you work for Menkind. Was it for Christmas only or longer. I found out that my manager got fired when I left lol. Every awkward and what your opinion on some of the rules. Like say hi to every customer that comes in etc. It got annoying for me personally.
Reply 18
Original post by lucyab
I gt parkside village :smile: not sure yet if il be living there or with my boyfriend though. Yeh i suppose, it can pay for my phone bill and things so my student money I actually mine!

Ok good luck with that.
Ok thanks and how long did you work for Menkind. Was it for Christmas only or longer. I found out that my manager got fired when I left lol. Every awkward and what your opinion on some of the rules. Like say hi to every customer that comes in etc. It got annoying for me personally.

I was just an xmas temp, they tried ending my contract early but I showed them my contract and got some extra hours out of them haha.

In most retail places you have to say 'Hi' to every customer that walks in, especially if you're the one on standing by the door. It deters thieves and is good customer service (apparently). It does get annoying. In my job now we have to smile at all customers we talk to, that can get annoying as sometimes it's difficult to force a smile haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending