The Student Room Group

What is something that is widely known to your gender but not the other?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
Righty, what is going on here is something I've seen happen a lot on this forum - North/South divide.
You have only lived in the South, which is why you are more use to people of all genders doing hobbies. Go North (aka above Birmingham), and what I described is true 99% of the time and for many southerners who go to uni in the north. Every girl I lived with had no hobbies. Only one girl I met had a hobby which was martial arts, yet her class was 10+ guys to one girl. This was true for every group there and in other places.
As I said, you have had/still have a rather unique upbringing.

I don't know what your original statement was bit I'm assuming it was something like 'girls don't have hobbies'
Now, you are backtracking, and admitting that really it is only girls who live in north England/Scotland who don't have hobbies.

I just wanted to say that the majority of guys I know DON'T have hobbies. Yes, they will play football together... But it's not a hobby cos they don't do it regularly or for a team, they just do it when the sun is out down the park or something.
99% of guys spend the majority of the time playing on their Xbox or ps3. I do not count this as a hobby.
I play netball weekly, we are in a league competing against 8 other teams, there are several other teams who are above and below the standard of our league, aswell as other individuals who do not play for a certain team and just play for fun. These people are all female. Netball being their hobby.

I don't know if you would count the gym as a hobby either, but me and 5 of my friends go 2/3 times a week, just for general fitness; you can't say gyms are dominated by men because about half of the people I regularly see there are women, and the majority of fitness classes are filled with women and maybe the odd man.
It may not be seen as a hobby, but atleast it is fitness an is good for you instead of sitting on your bum all day staring at a tv screen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 601
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Not true. I have hobbies at uni and my friends come along and do them too, or they have hobbies of their own. Like, one of my friends is really keen on debating and another one goes to salsa classes, another does loads of first aid. Some of my friends aren't in societies but they really like playing the ukulele or drawing pictures. I keep getting distracted from my work to write poems. My problem is wanting to do too many things, actually. I'm your classic "Pick up a hobby and drop it a few years later and do something else" type. I'll find something else that interests me and start that and then they start demanding you devote more time to it so then you have to choose. I don't want to miss out on loads of things because I've devoted all my time and energy to gymnastics or something. Other people have one thing they love more than anything else and that's the only hobby they really want to do. And then some people don't necessarily shout about their hobbies all the time, but that doesn't mean they don't have them. They might really like baking, or collecting buttons. How do you know?

Don't be silly, oh the notions you women get into your head.

Clearly mere females are not able to have any thoughts that are not an attempt to get in our (male) pants. Unless of course they are pushed to do them by a male on which they subservient to, such as their fathers prior to their marriage or their husbands.

Besides, what hobbies could a woman have? Their delicate brain chemistry rules our taxing their minds, reading is known to overheat their little heads. Physically they might perform some suitable sporting activities, such as tennis - provided they do not exert themselves into a sweat, that would be very unattractive and must not be done.

Baking could be possible, but surely they must bake little cakes to attract a potential husband? It is also good practice for pleasing their future husband. Button collecting is similar, it is clearly building up a stock for fixing a husbands missing buttons after he returns from a hard-days work. You need to start these things early!
Original post by Lala_1234
Maybe just me then :/ awks. And I don't have big boobs, they are just not comfy to lay on at all, I have to put a pillow under my belly or something to lift myself up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha awe really? Maybe yours are just very firm :colonhash: I've never had the problem thankfully, I only sleep on my stomach so it'd suck if it did feel like that xD
Original post by eliza.anne
Haha awe really? Maybe yours are just very firm :colonhash: I've never had the problem thankfully, I only sleep on my stomach so it'd suck if it did feel like that xD

As long as they still bounce, I am happy haa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hanvyj
Don't be silly, oh the notions you women get into your head.

Clearly mere females are not able to have any thoughts that are not an attempt to get in our (male) pants. Unless of course they are pushed to do them by a male on which they subservient to, such as their fathers prior to their marriage or their husbands.

Besides, what hobbies could a woman have? Their delicate brain chemistry rules our taxing their minds, reading is known to overheat their little heads. Physically they might perform some suitable sporting activities, such as tennis - provided they do not exert themselves into a sweat, that would be very unattractive and must not be done.

Baking could be possible, but surely they must bake little cakes to attract a potential husband? It is also good practice for pleasing their future husband. Button collecting is similar, it is clearly building up a stock for fixing a husbands missing buttons after he returns from a hard-days work. You need to start these things early!

I, I...I don't know anything about hobbies, but I just love little kittens. They're so cute and furry

Original post by alexs2602
I've seen a couple of girls mention how awkward getting erect nipples can be but what I don't get is why it's such a big issue. You'd have to be looking very hard to notice it through a bra surely? Seems rather insignificant compared to the issue of getting an erection as a guy.

Right, there are such things as bras which don't actually hide them, trust me. Also, girls don't spend all their time staring at guys crotches. It isn't something I ever actually think about, so half of the time you probably wouldn't even notice. Whereas guys frequently look at a girls boobs. And guys seem to think it's hilarious. I imagine it's just as awkward being a guy with an erection to be honest.
That is because it will be something mummy and daddy made them do/remaining doing.
Wait until they get to uni. Then they stop all of it as they never were that interested to begin with/take up boyfriends as their only hobby. I've seen this happen so many times. Girls who have numerous hobbies and are even competing in some of them all of a sudden drop everyone like a stone come uni and go hunting after dick :rofl: To be honest it is quite sad.
Into fashion and went to Thailand? How are you/your parents financial off?

So what you're saying is... that people who don't have money to spend on hobbies don't spend money on hobbies? What a crazy idea.
I, I...I don't know anything about hobbies, but I just love little kittens. They're so cute and furry

Shh, woman! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, there are such things as bras which don't actually hide them, trust me. Also, girls don't spend all their time staring at guys crotches. It isn't something I ever actually think about, so half of the time you probably wouldn't even notice. Whereas guys frequently look at a girls boobs. And guys seem to think it's hilarious. I imagine it's just as awkward being a guy with an erection to be honest.

You've obviously never been/seen the one guy that gets an erection in a tracksuit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You make it sounds as if guys stare so hard at boobs that they burn holes in the tops covering them. Perhaps it's just me but it's rarely obvious to me. I've noticed a couple of times for sure, that's it. I've had a couple of girls comment on me before when I was flaccid. One person thought I was hard, I wasn't. The other commented how I might poke someone's eye out because of the trousers I was wearing being tight-ish. They weren't tight, but not loose either. The problem would have been bigger if I weren't flaccid.
I find myself looking at boobs like its an instinct. I like to think girls don't notice, but do they? And what is your reaction normally, annoyed or flattered?

Also I get paranoid if girls stare at guys crotch's. do you? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bella_trixxx
So what you're saying is... that people who don't have money to spend on hobbies don't spend money on hobbies? What a crazy idea.

Or people prefer to spend money on other things than hobbies so only the ones with a larger disposable income can afford to do it. For example, think how many people have put all their excess money into an expensive phone rather than a hobby.

Original post by HmMusic
Seems to me like your issue isn't girls with hobbies, it is how well off parents are. Every time a girl has replied to you saying she has hobbies you jump down her throat essentially saying "Yeah well you are probably rich so you don't count" and berating them just because they may have had a different/more financially stable upbringing to your own. All it may prove is that girls from different backgrounds may like to do different things, not that girls don't have hobbies. Also just because "mummy and daddy" encouraged them to do a particular hobby doesn't mean that they are automatically no longer interested in it when they get older and would rather "chase after dick." Here is something shocking for you: girls like to have sex! What about the boys who chase after girls for sex? Do they not have hobbies or is that completely different because they are male? You make a lot of generalisations based on some people you may know at Uni. I'm sorry but it doesn't count for the rest of the female population.

Not at all. I have found the wealthier ones far better company for that very reason. However as I said, I have also found that they are the ones doing the hobbies and that the majority of people don't do anything and their folks are less well off. Now whether that is a financial issue or simply upbringing is debatable, but nonetheless, it is still there.
Sure, guys chase girls...but their life doesn't revolve around it. The amount of girls who undergo a complete character change in order to get a guy is absurd and stinks of only desperation. Guys don't do this as they do their hobbies out of enjoyment and interest, thus why drop them once you get a girl?
People always argue that whole "oh but you're generalising!". True, but seeing that this is going on my experience and those of everyone I personally know, it is impossible for my view to be based on bad luck. What is most likely is that people on the net like to warp reality in defence of themselves just like many people do in real life eg. "I do *insert hobby*" actually means they attend a class maybe once a month at a push.

I don't know what your original statement was bit I'm assuming it was something like 'girls don't have hobbies'
Now, you are backtracking, and admitting that really it is only girls who live in north England/Scotland who don't have hobbies.

I just wanted to say that the majority of guys I know DON'T have hobbies. Yes, they will play football together... But it's not a hobby cos they don't do it regularly or for a team, they just do it when the sun is out down the park or something.

Many guys who do that also follow football as well, and you would be surprised how many work places do have little teams etc, plus at least it is something rather than nothing...which is where many girls lie.

99% of guys spend the majority of the time playing on their Xbox or ps3. I do not count this as a hobby.

Why not? If they take a real interest in it, why do you not count it as a hobby? Any game played seriously is counted as a hobby (chess, poker etc), so why not computer games? I have seen many girls say they don't like them, but never back it up with a reason.

I play netball weekly, we are in a league competing against 8 other teams, there are several other teams who are above and below the standard of our league, aswell as other individuals who do not play for a certain team and just play for fun. These people are all female. Netball being their hobby.

And where do you live? :redface: (I checked your profile, so yes, that is a rhetorical question)

I don't know if you would count the gym as a hobby either, but me and 5 of my friends go 2/3 times a week, just for general fitness; you can't say gyms are dominated by men because about half of the people I regularly see there are women, and the majority of fitness classes are filled with women and maybe the odd man.
It may not be seen as a hobby, but atleast it is fitness an is good for you instead of sitting on your bum all day staring at a tv screen

The gym is certainly a hobby, but every gym I have been to (and I've been to many) have all been 80% guys, so obviously you do live in a very unique area.......which you do :facepalm: So please stop trying to claim that where you live is a perfect example of the UK as you know that it could not be further from the truth. If you had said "I and everyone in my area do not act like that as we have hobbies, but yes, I live in an area which is known for being better off", then I would have taken my hat off to you.
But to try to claim your life is common and I'm labelling every girl as some vacuous bore is utter crap.

Not true. I have hobbies at uni and my friends come along and do them too, or they have hobbies of their own. Like, one of my friends is really keen on debating and another one goes to salsa classes, another does loads of first aid. Some of my friends aren't in societies but they really like playing the ukulele or drawing pictures. I keep getting distracted from my work to write poems. My problem is wanting to do too many things, actually. I'm your classic "Pick up a hobby and drop it a few years later and do something else" type. I'll find something else that interests me and start that and then they start demanding you devote more time to it so then you have to choose. I don't want to miss out on loads of things because I've devoted all my time and energy to gymnastics or something. Other people have one thing they love more than anything else and that's the only hobby they really want to do. And then some people don't necessarily shout about their hobbies all the time, but that doesn't mean they don't have them. They might really like baking, or collecting buttons. How do you know?

So you don't really enjoy it then and use it as a time sink. Would you want to talk about those hobbies then if someone was to bring it up in conversation?
Reply 612
Original post by cake_lover
I find myself looking at boobs like its an instinct. I like to think girls don't notice, but do they? And what is your reaction normally, annoyed or flattered?

Also I get paranoid if girls stare at guys crotch's. do you? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would also like to know this + do you notice when a guy has up & tucked?
Many guys who do that also follow football as well, and you would be surprised how many work places do have little teams etc, plus at least it is something rather than nothing...which is where many girls lie.

Shocker, I do actually know that alot of work places have little teams; my brother works for Football Manager.
I do not see following football being a hobby, because then people could say "watching tv is my hobby"
It is hard to decide what counts as a hobby and what doesn't, but then it is surely a matter of opinion really?

Why not? If they take a real interest in it, why do you not count it as a hobby? Any game played seriously is counted as a hobby (chess, poker etc), so why not computer games? I have seen many girls say they don't like them, but never back it up with a reason.

What is and what isn't a hobby is really an opinion, my opinion is that playing computer games is not a hobby; and if it is, then it is a terrible one.

And where do you live? :redface: (I checked your profile, so yes, that is a rhetorical question)

You checked my profile which has absolutely no information? Hmm... Well done...
What does it matter where I live anyway?
Why are you trying to **** on every female that has a hobby saying that they live in a more wealthy area?

The gym is certainly a hobby, but every gym I have been to (and I've been to many) have all been 80% guys, so obviously you do live in a very unique area.......which you do :facepalm: So please stop trying to claim that where you live is a perfect example of the UK as you know that it could not be further from the truth. If you had said "I and everyone in my area do not act like that as we have hobbies, but yes, I live in an area which is known for being better off", then I would have taken my hat off to you.
But to try to claim your life is common and I'm labelling every girl as some vacuous bore is utter crap.

Again, where do I live sorry?
And it is you who is generalising all females into this big group of people who do not have hobbys.
I never at any point said that my life is as common as everyone elses; all I am trying to explain to you is that alot of females do have hobbies. You just seem to like ****ting on our gender...

Question? Are you gay? Because you seem very arrogant about your own sex, why don't you go marry your best-male-friend.

So you don't really enjoy it then and use it as a time sink. Would you want to talk about those hobbies then if someone was to bring it up in conversation?

No, I enjoy it to start with and then I get bored with it after a while. At the moment the hobbies I'm most interested in are writing, drama and scuba diving, I could chat about those for ages. And to be honest those ones are pretty constant, I've been doing them for quite a while now and I haven't got bored with them yet. Stop making assumptions about people you don't know to make us fit your theory.
Original post by alexs2602
You make it sounds as if guys stare so hard at boobs that they burn holes in the tops covering them. Perhaps it's just me but it's rarely obvious to me. I've noticed a couple of times for sure, that's it. I've had a couple of girls comment on me before when I was flaccid. One person thought I was hard, I wasn't. The other commented how I might poke someone's eye out because of the trousers I was wearing being tight-ish. They weren't tight, but not loose either. The problem would have been bigger if I weren't flaccid.

Some guys do. I'm just going on my own experience, quite a few of my friends have guys staring at their boobs constantly and I used to have idiots making comments about mine which was extremely daft because they're not in any way remarkable. But I just haven't noticed women making a big deal about guys and I certainly don't see anyone staring at a guys crotch. I definitely don't. Unless you're David Bowie in Labyrinth (those trousers were far too tight, it's awkward), you don't notice as a rule.
Original post by danielnkwocha
You've obviously never been/seen the one guy that gets an erection in a tracksuit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, no I haven't, I have to admit. Although I will confess I am definitely one of the more naïve people out there.
Shocker, I do actually know that alot of work places have little teams; my brother works for Football Manager.
I do not see following football being a hobby, because then people could say "watching tv is my hobby"
It is hard to decide what counts as a hobby and what doesn't, but then it is surely a matter of opinion really?

No it isn't, you are just making it hard for some reason. Playing some football and following it is a hobby. End of debate. Go get a dictionary and argue with that if you want to carry on.

What is and what isn't a hobby is really an opinion, my opinion is that playing computer games is not a hobby; and if it is, then it is a terrible one.

....because?
You do have to give a reason you know :rolleyes:

You checked my profile which has absolutely no information? Hmm... Well done...
What does it matter where I live anyway?
Why are you trying to **** on every female that has a hobby saying that they live in a more wealthy area?

So where do you live? Go on, enlighten everyone here as we all would love to know why you are so defensive. Is it because you know I'm right but want to argue the point anyway?

Again, where do I live sorry?
And it is you who is generalising all females into this big group of people who do not have hobbys.
I never at any point said that my life is as common as everyone elses; all I am trying to explain to you is that alot of females do have hobbies. You just seem to like ****ting on our gender...

Question? Are you gay? Because you seem very arrogant about your own sex, why don't you go marry your best-male-friend.

A lot being how many of what upbringing? :rofl: I guess I should have added "diplomatic" to that list as you couldn't be doing any worse.

Oh wow, "are you gay?". I haven't heard that type of arguing since school. Maybe I should also ask about your age whilst I'm at it :teehee:

No, I enjoy it to start with and then I get bored with it after a while. At the moment the hobbies I'm most interested in are writing, drama and scuba diving, I could chat about those for ages. And to be honest those ones are pretty constant, I've been doing them for quite a while now and I haven't got bored with them yet. Stop making assumptions about people you don't know to make us fit your theory.

Why?
And you are fitting my theory pretty well so far and many are also coming across as terribly naive/ignorant or think that I was not generalising.
No it isn't, you are just making it hard for some reason. Playing some football and following it is a hobby. End of debate. Go get a dictionary and argue with that if you want to carry on..

...because?
You do have to give a reason you know :rolleyes:

Because you are saying women do not have hobbys... Here are some females hobbies (doesnt even need to be gender specific) if you want to say that following football, or playing a computer game is a hobby:
-Shopping is my hobby
-Trying on clothes is my hobby
-Styling my hair is my hobby
-Watching TV is my hobby
-Going on the computer is my hobby
-Baking cakes is my hobby
-Driving is my hobby
-Singing is my hobby
-Dancing is my hobby
-Going clubbing is my hobby
-Listening to music is my hobby
-Hanging out with my friends is my hobby
-Getting drunk is my hobby
-Texting is my hobby
-Talking is my hobby
-Having sex is my hobby

And so on.

So where do you live? Go on, enlighten everyone here as we all would love to know why you are so defensive. Is it because you know I'm right but want to argue the point anyway?

It is you I was asking as you told me that you know where I live...

A lot being how many of what upbringing? :rofl: I guess I should have added "diplomatic" to that list as you couldn't be doing any worse.

Even if someone has a crap upbringing it doesn't stop them having any hobbies...

Oh wow, "are you gay?". I haven't heard that type of arguing since school. Maybe I should also ask about your age whilst I'm at it :teehee:

If you know where I live, you must know my age too?
Because you are saying women do not have hobbys... Here are some females hobbies (doesnt even need to be gender specific) if you want to say that following football, or playing a computer game is a hobby:
-Shopping is my hobby
-Trying on clothes is my hobby
-Styling my hair is my hobby
-Watching TV is my hobby
-Going on the computer is my hobby
-Baking cakes is my hobby
-Driving is my hobby
-Singing is my hobby
-Dancing is my hobby
-Going clubbing is my hobby
-Listening to music is my hobby
-Hanging out with my friends is my hobby
-Getting drunk is my hobby
-Texting is my hobby
-Talking is my hobby
-Having sex is my hobby

And so on.

:facepalm2:
Yet again, you need to explain yourself rather than ranting as what you said makes no sense. What does getting drunk, sex, football, and games have in common? Erm, not much...so how are you calling them all hobbies?
Oh, because you didn't get that dictionary that I suggest you get :dunce:

It is you I was asking as you told me that you know where I live...

Dodging the question. Why? Oh, because you know you'll prove me right.

Even if someone has a crap upbringing it doesn't stop them having any hobbies...

...because?
Again, need to do something called explaining yourself.

If you know where I live, you must know my age too?

:rolleyes: Again, avoid the question, come back defensive etc. You clearly do live somewhere privileged and are young, thus most likely naive and ignorant due to age, but damn, you sure do think you are right don't you. Why?

Oh, and you are either lying or purposefully being mislead:
...me and 5 of my friends go 2/3 times a week, just for general fitness; you can't say gyms are dominated by men because about half of the people I regularly see there are women, and the majority of fitness classes are filled with women and maybe the odd man.

So you have only just started going but think you know everything about them? Oh I see what is going on here. You would argue with your Einstein about physics as you know best right?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest