The Student Room Group

Part Time - Access to Nursing/Health Birmingham??

I am currently looking for a part time day or evening Access to Nursing/Health course in Birmingham. I have contacted several colleges and have had no luck, the nearest two I have found are Worcester or Stourbridge.

I was just wondering if there is anybody who is currently studying or has done a part time Access to Nursing/Health course in Birmingham and at which college.

Also if anybody is studying at Worcester or Stourbridge college, what is the Access course like.

Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Chyna12,

I looked high and low for a part time access to health course in Birmingham with no success, they only seem to offer full time now. Therefore I have enrolled onto a 'full time' course that starts in September, however it is only 15hrs per week over 3 days so I luckily don't have to quit my job!

The only alternative I could find was The Open University, it would have suited me perfectly but I am not entitled to help with fees so I would have had to pay the full £2000 course fee!! But it may be worth having a look yourself?

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you for the info.

I'm very surprised that Birmingham Colleges do not offer the Access Course on a part time basis, like yourself I've searched everywhere and no luck.

I will definitely look into The Open University, failing that Stourbridge College is going to be my other choice. I have an open day with them on 23rd April 2013, the course runs for 2 years/evening classes, which isn't to bad.

Work is a major factor for me especially when the time comes to do the Degree in Nursing, I will have to leave work, a job which I have been in for 10 years, very scary just thinking about it. I want my nursing career more so I have to make sacrifices.

Good luck to you also.
Hi,

I am currently studying an access course part time at Halesowen college. I do a thursday evening
6-9pm and a saturday morning 9-12. It takes 2 years to complete and there is a fee of around £1300 to pay. They will start enrolling again soon so get in touch if you want to start this september.

Hope this a help to you

Laura
Reply 4
Hi, I'm in the same situation as you and I know how scary it all seems but I've just been accepted on the evening nursing course at Stourbridge. Once I'd actually been accepted all I could think was why didn't I apply years ago. Try not to let the thought of eventually giving up your job to do the degree put you off if this is something you really want to do as you'll look back and regret it. I wish you well in your college application. Maybe I'll see you in September!
Original post by Moofie10
Hi Chyna12,

I looked high and low for a part time access to health course in Birmingham with no success, they only seem to offer full time now. Therefore I have enrolled onto a 'full time' course that starts in September, however it is only 15hrs per week over 3 days so I luckily don't have to quit my job!

The only alternative I could find was The Open University, it would have suited me perfectly but I am not entitled to help with fees so I would have had to pay the full £2000 course fee!! But it may be worth having a look yourself?

I hope this helps, and good luck!

South and City College Birmingham. I know they do a Health related Access Course. They have a wikid Science teacher. Not sure about part time. Check it out.
Reply 6
Original post by laurawinters
Hi,

I am currently studying an access course part time at Halesowen college. I do a thursday evening
6-9pm and a saturday morning 9-12. It takes 2 years to complete and there is a fee of around £1300 to pay. They will start enrolling again soon so get in touch if you want to start this september.

Hope this a help to you

Laura

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the info, this would have been ideal if it wasn't for the Saturday, I also work some weekends. How are you finding the course so far? I,ve applied for Stourbridge College so I hope I get in.
Reply 7
Original post by 1goodey
Hi, I'm in the same situation as you and I know how scary it all seems but I've just been accepted on the evening nursing course at Stourbridge. Once I'd actually been accepted all I could think was why didn't I apply years ago. Try not to let the thought of eventually giving up your job to do the degree put you off if this is something you really want to do as you'll look back and regret it. I wish you well in your college application. Maybe I'll see you in September!

Hi,

Thank you for advice about the work situation.

I have an open day to attend at Stourbridge College next week, I am hoping it all goes well and I am accepted onto the course, can you give me a little insight on what the open day was like, it said I will be having a Maths and English Test, I am spending the weekend brushing up on both, maths especially.
Reply 8
Original post by Jiraya Sama
South and City College Birmingham. I know they do a Health related Access Course. They have a wikid Science teacher. Not sure about part time. Check it out.

I actually ranged South and City College Birmingham last week, they run a Health related course, but it's not on a part time basis.

Thank you all the same.
Original post by Chyna12
I actually ranged South and City College Birmingham last week, they run a Health related course, but it's not on a part time basis.

Thank you all the same.

Ah Ok. If you are going to be studying full time and have no where else to go, I can vouch for the teacher, who is teaching majority of subjects on the Health Related Access Course at that college.

Thanks for posting.
Reply 10
Original post by Chyna12
Hi,

Thank you for advice about the work situation.

I have an open day to attend at Stourbridge College next week, I am hoping it all goes well and I am accepted onto the course, can you give me a little insight on what the open day was like, it said I will be having a Maths and English Test, I am spending the weekend brushing up on both, maths especially.

We were told we'd do a numeracy test but when I got there they said they were not doing them this year. To be honest the tests we did do were very basic, we had to read a text and then answer questions. We did have to write a bit about what news stories had interested us recently and why. I was anxious beforehand but when I did them I was very surprised how easy they were. Mainly just using common sense, there was nothing to trip you up or confuse you. Really I can't stress enough that they aren't looking for academics just people who can follow instructions. X
Reply 11
Original post by 1goodey
We were told we'd do a numeracy test but when I got there they said they were not doing them this year. To be honest the tests we did do were very basic, we had to read a text and then answer questions. We did have to write a bit about what news stories had interested us recently and why. I was anxious beforehand but when I did them I was very surprised how easy they were. Mainly just using common sense, there was nothing to trip you up or confuse you. Really I can't stress enough that they aren't looking for academics just people who can follow instructions. X

Hi,

I attended the open day yesterday and it went ok, I am just awaiting a decision I should hear within next 2 weeks. I was slightly concerned with the content of the evening course, whereby it is compulsory you have to study English Study Skills, English Literature, Maths and Psychology. Quite a few of us were abit skeptical about this, however the Tutor assured us that we could get into University providing we pass these subjects. I thought there may have been slightly more options.

Also although I will have GCSE English Language and Literature B Grade, I will still have to attend the English subjects.

I was just wondering what were your views or anyone else's for that matter.

Thank you.
Original post by Chyna12
Hi,

I attended the open day yesterday and it went ok, I am just awaiting a decision I should hear within next 2 weeks. I was slightly concerned with the content of the evening course, whereby it is compulsory you have to study English Study Skills, English Literature, Maths and Psychology. Quite a few of us were abit skeptical about this, however the Tutor assured us that we could get into University providing we pass these subjects. I thought there may have been slightly more options.

Also although I will have GCSE English Language and Literature B Grade, I will still have to attend the English subjects.

I was just wondering what were your views or anyone else's for that matter.

Thank you.

Hi,

Even though you have GCSE English Lang & English Lit B Grade's, the English taught on the Access Course will most likely be taught at level 3 standard, which is the equivalent of A levels.

Don't forget, even if there is fewer options on what to study, it is only for 9 months, you need to pass the course, studying what ever they throw at you TO GET into university.

Pass as many units as you can, to the best of your ability. Do not put Psychology down, because you may not have wanted to study it. Psychology itself will help you to understand how to research in a detailed manner and understand concepts of Psychology and other academic subjects.

English Study skills will help you to write up reports and learn about yourself, your strengths and weaknesses on which you can improve on and write on your personal statement for university.

Maths is a core subject, you thought you do not needed to study maths? :s-smilie: If you have GCSE Maths C grade, and it is from the last 3-5 years (I think max 5 years), then you can skip Maths and get the units automatically. Check with your college/ and your university courses.

Some subjects are compulsory for a reason. They have been doing/teaching Access courses for a whilst.

Can I just ask, how you can be skeptical before you started the course? :s-smilie: I have found by experience, it is easy as anything to get into an Access course, but passing it to get into a health related degree, is another matter.

Hope that helps (and not caused any offense).
Jiraya.
Reply 13
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Hi,

Even though you have GCSE English Lang & English Lit B Grade's, the English taught on the Access Course will most likely be taught at level 3 standard, which is the equivalent of A levels.

Don't forget, even if there is fewer options on what to study, it is only for 9 months, you need to pass the course, studying what ever they throw at you TO GET into university.

Pass as many units as you can, to the best of your ability. Do not put Psychology down, because you may not have wanted to study it. Psychology itself will help you to understand how to research in a detailed manner and understand concepts of Psychology and other academic subjects.

English Study skills will help you to write up reports and learn about yourself, your strengths and weaknesses on which you can improve on and write on your personal statement for university.

Maths is a core subject, you thought you do not needed to study maths? :s-smilie: If you have GCSE Maths C grade, and it is from the last 3-5 years (I think max 5 years), then you can skip Maths and get the units automatically. Check with your college/ and your university courses.

Some subjects are compulsory for a reason. They have been doing/teaching Access courses for a whilst.

Can I just ask, how you can be skeptical before you started the course? :s-smilie: I have found by experience, it is easy as anything to get into an Access course, but passing it to get into a health related degree, is another matter.

Hope that helps (and not caused any offense).
Jiraya.

Hi Jiraya,

No offence taken, I welcome all the information given, I'm all new to this and have so many questions. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

This course actually runs for 2 years as it is on a part time basis. I am not in anyway putting down Psychology down. I can't wait to start studying different aspects of Psychology.

What I meant by concerned and skeptical is basically will this be enough to get me into University. I am hoping to go to BCU and have seen the entry requirement and thought to myself, how will I obtain all those credits with one subject, however you have mentioned passing as many units as possible. I understand now.

I have posted the below requirements for BCU in bold.

Access to HE Diploma in a Health and Social Care Subject
Full award (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 including 24 at Merit or Distinction, of which a minimum of 18 must be in a Science or Health related subject and 15 at Level 2 which must include Mathematics and English Language GCSE equivalent if you do not already have these two subjects at GCSE.

My understanding is if you have English and Maths GCSE C or above you would not have to take these subjects again, however at Stourbridge College even if you obtained a C recently in both Maths and English, it is compulsory that Maths and English are taken again. However I am aware the requirements do vary in different Colleges. It makes perfect sense about the English Study Skills.

By no means do I think the Access Course is going to be easy, I will honestly admit it is going to be very challenging for me and I know that before I've even started.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chyna12
Hi Jiraya,

No offence taken, I welcome all the information given, I'm all new to this and have so many questions. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Ah, Sorry if it seemed that I was trying to be patronizing or anything, just that it is difficult to realize what some people are signing up for.

This course actually runs for 2 years as it is on a part time basis. I am not in anyway putting down Psychology down. I can't wait to start studying different aspects of Psychology.

What I meant by concerned and skeptical is basically will this be enough to get me into University. I am hoping to go to BCU and have seen the entry requirement and thought to myself, how will I obtain all those credits with one subject, however you have mentioned passing as many units as possible. I understand now.

I must not have written it up in my long post, each subject for example Psychology will have a few units to teach. So even though it seems like you are doing only 5/6 subjects, you will be doing 4-5 assignments PER subject. I am studying Psychology, and I have 6 units, 6 units at 3 credits a piece is 18 credits. Biology has 5 units, 3 units at 3 credits a piece is 15 units. As you can see, that you get plenty of credits that you can achieve.

I have posted the below requirements for BCU in bold.

Access to HE Diploma in a Health and Social Care Subject
Full award (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 including 24 at Merit or Distinction, of which a minimum of 18 must be in a Science or Health related subject and 15 at Level 2 which must include Mathematics and English Language GCSE equivalent if you do not already have these two subjects at GCSE.

This seems like a very achievable target. You are lucky, they are saying you only need 24 credits at Merit OR Distinction. You can get a combination of them both or just minimum Merit's, which is quite good. Are you going choosing to go to BCU for definite? or do you have other first choice options? I know some people on a Access Health related course, and to studying health related degree, they need 45 credits at Distinction, which is a full 15 units, straight A's.

My understanding is if you have English and Maths GCSE C or above you would not have to take these subjects again, however at Stourbridge College even if you obtained a C recently in both Maths and English, it is compulsory that Maths and English are taken again. However I am aware the requirements do vary in different Colleges. It makes perfect sense about the English Study Skills.

If your GCSE's are more than 5 year's old, as I have said before, you may need to repeat them again. However some universities may accept them, even with the time/year. When I mentioned, English Study Skills, I was talking about English too, it might be taught at level 3, and trying to get level 3 Distinctions are equivalent to A grade A level work, very different to GCSE standard.

By no means do I think the Access Course is going to be easy, I will honestly admit it is going to be very challenging for me and I know that before I've even started.:smile:

Please read underlined/italic text above.
Hope this helps. Quote me, if you need any more info, or if I have confused you.

Jiraya
Reply 15
I had the same thoughts as you but when I checked it out I saw that uni's work on a points system. The uni's I looked at required you to get mainly distinctions and merits in each assessment. I was quite surprised that you can get onto a nursing degree without studying the biology element at access level. I have really looked into this and trust me the access will be enough to get you in (if you get the distinctions and merits). Just a note of caution, I was told I'd hear from Stourbridge within two weeks but it was closer to four so don't get too disheartened if you don't hear before that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1goodey
I had the same thoughts as you but when I checked it out I saw that uni's work on a points system. The uni's I looked at required you to get mainly distinctions and merits in each assessment. I was quite surprised that you can get onto a nursing degree without studying the biology element at access level. I have really looked into this and trust me the access will be enough to get you in (if you get the distinctions and merits). Just a note of caution, I was told I'd hear from Stourbridge within two weeks but it was closer to four so don't get too disheartened if you don't hear before that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much on gaining entry onto the access course. As long as you are willing to put the work in and have shown the interest, that's as much as you need to get on.

Yeah, the Distinctions & Merits are the clinchers for university.

Jiraya.
Reply 17
Hi,

I received a letter last week Friday to say I had been accepted onto the Access Course, I thought wow that was quick considering I went on the Tuesday and they did say I would have to wait upto 2weeks. So I'm very happy about this. See you in September 1 Goodey.

Jiraya my choice of Universities are below.

1st: University of Birmingham
2nd: Birmingham City University
3rd: University of Wolverhampton

University of Birmingham requirements are higher and does require an overall 60 credits with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3 including 30 at distinction, 15 at merit (to include study of Physiology) and 15 credits at level 2.

I will be speaking with my Tutor to see how I could obtain the credits for Physiology, if we are studying Psychology, or is this part of parcel of it. (sorry if that sounds like a silly question) the most I know is Pschnology is mind and Physiology is body.:-) I will be more than happy with the other two Universities, however I intend to aim high for all modules.

Thank you for all your help and advice
Original post by Chyna12
Hi,

I received a letter last week Friday to say I had been accepted onto the Access Course, I thought wow that was quick considering I went on the Tuesday and they did say I would have to wait upto 2weeks. So I'm very happy about this. See you in September 1 Goodey.

Jiraya my choice of Universities are below.

1st: University of Birmingham
2nd: Birmingham City University
3rd: University of Wolverhampton

University of Birmingham requirements are higher and does require an overall 60 credits with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3 including 30 at distinction, 15 at merit (to include study of Physiology) and 15 credits at level 2.

I will be speaking with my Tutor to see how I could obtain the credits for Physiology, if we are studying Psychology, or is this part of parcel of it. (sorry if that sounds like a silly question) the most I know is Pschnology is mind and Physiology is body.:-) I will be more than happy with the other two Universities, however I intend to aim high for all modules.

Thank you for all your help and advice

Congratulations on your acceptance on the Access Course.

If you are doing a health/nursing related Access course then you may be doing some Physiology modules, however I would ring them today if you could and ask them if they are. Just to make sure, if especially that is what is required of you from your first choice of university. Don't wait to start the course in September and ask, in case they do not offer the Physiology modules.

With Physiology you might only be doing a few modules and not a core subject, so make sure to get them Distinctions on the first go, if you resubmit you won't be able to get Merit/Distinction (if you get a Level 2/Referral) and if you get a Level 3 Pass - Merit, you are stuck with them grades (Just trying to force good habits).

Are the 15 merit credits for Physiology or Distinction as well? (Guessing Merit).

I have the same offer as you, studying Law. My friend who wanted to study Business & Management, A few other students who wanted to study Business, Psychology, Sociology. We all had the same offer as Pass Access Course with 60 credits, 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit and the rest of the units can be at level 2.

However, aim higher for this, last year, before I started, I emailed university of Birmingham and they asked for only 24 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit, this year the offer got bumped up to 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit. They might go up again, with the number of applicants, so make sure to ask them again approximately October-November, when you are doing your Personal Statement.

Its the 2nd May, and I have only got 24 credits at Distinction so far, and 9 credits at Merit. Another 6 credits at Distinction to go and 6 credits at Merit to go, before I fulfill my offer for University of Birmingham. Only 3 weeks left to go. I remember in January I only had 6 credits at Distinction, and then had to mass produce so many assignments and complete quite a few exams.

Such a tough year, I think I am the only one with the highest amount of Distinction grades, then second student with 15 credits at Distinction, and everyone else has 3-6 credits at Distinction, just trying to put it in perspective how hard it is.

Good luck, and anything else. Just let me know.

Jiraya
Reply 19
Congratulations on getting on the course Chyna, I look forward to seeing you in September! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending