The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
Very true............also your maths is wrong :tongue:

primary school: 67/16,971 = 0.004%

secondary school: 84/24372=0.0034%

So thats even less of a big deal, like seriously such a small % that its pretty much negligible.......Daily Fail as usual trying to state the usual "facts" lol

Actually, I did (67/16971)x100, which would make it a precentage. :P
Original post by thesabbath
try convincing the white British public of that (let's see them then)
They were representative surveys of the "white British public"; by and large, perceived ethnic diversity does not impact social cohesion negatively.

"In terms of the wider implications of this evidence, we echo Sturgis, Heath, Lawrence, and others in arguing that the question should better be phrased as 'deprivation', not 'diversity' and that policy attention ought to be devoted to reducing deprivation" (Twigg and Taylor, 2010).

"This research shows that ethnic diversity in an area is generally a positive driver of community cohesion. When compared with areas where more than 99 per cent of the population is White British, ethnically diverse areas are generally more cohesive.

Most significantly, this study demonstrates that, far from eroding community cohesion, ethnic diversity is generally a strong positive driver of cohesion. In particular, areas with both high levels of disadvantage and high ethnic diversity record higher average cohesion scores than highly disadvantaged, homogeneous White areas. It is thus deprivation that undermines cohesion, not diversity.

The gradient of the effect of disadvantage on cohesion is similar across all areas, irrespective of ethnic diversity. In other words, irrespective of the ethnic mix of the area, as disadvantage increases, its negative effect gets stronger. Furthermore, there are no significant interaction effects between area diversity and disadvantage. Therefore, regardless of the diversity level, disadvantage operates in a similar fashion for all communities. It is just that at similar levels of disadvantage, more diverse communities tend to have higher cohesion than predominately White British communities" (Laurence and Heath, 2008).

"This present research has not found evidence to support the thesis about the breakdown of social connectedness and social life in the diverse communities in Britain. It did find, however, that community cohesion and neighbourliness cannot be created in the context of economic inequality and deprivation" (Letki, 2007).

"Moreover, results show a consistently strong association between a decrease in area deprivation and an increase in social cohesion for all ethnic groups, both for the social cohesion scale, as well as for its individual components, suggesting that any erosion of social cohesion is the result of deprivation, not of neighbourhood ethnic profile.

This leads onto our last aim, which sought to determine the independent contribution of each neighbourhood characteristic, including composition, concentration and deprivation, to social cohesion. As the previous discussion points out, our findings show that it is not neighbourhood ethnic profile, but neighbourhood deprivation, which erodes social cohesion for ethnic minority and White British people in the UK.

[...]

Regardless, by exploring how the association between neighbourhood ethnic profile and social cohesion changes once area deprivation is adjusted for, and by assessing the contribution of area-level socioeconomic characteristics to social cohesion among different ethnic groups, the present study argues that increased residential heterogeneity does not erode social cohesion in the UK.

[...]

Our analyses show that, even in a cross-sectional scenario, the statement that residential heterogeneity erodes social cohesion does not hold, but that instead it is deprivation which has a stronger, detrimental effect" (Bécares, 2011).
Reply 42
Is assuming that everything the DM prints is not true a coping mechanism for you?

The DM is probably the most unreliable newspaper out there, they twist everythign and have been known to actually make up stories completely and pass them off as fact. One example of this was a story they printed about a Polish dentist who removed all her ex boyfriends teeth, when someone investigated further and found no evidence they asked the DM for their sources and tehy replied that they had no idea where the story had come from and could not find any evidence to back it up.
Reply 43
Original post by SHallowvale
Actually, I did (67/16971)x100, which would make it a precentage. :P

My bad loool I do engineering haha

Is assuming that everything the DM prints is not true a coping mechanism for you?

Did I say that? No I said that DM twists the truth, hence only certain things are true and they blow very small issues out of proportion.

Its not all the truth, its some of the truth with a major twist.
Reply 44
Original post by whyumadtho
They were representative surveys of the "white British public"; by and large, perceived ethnic diversity does not impact social cohesion negatively.

If only we could slip those finds into a DM article maybe people would believe it, muahaha.

Seriously though, the only people who would have a problem with this information aren't really cut out for life in the modern world, but until time travel is invented we're stuck with them :P
How is any of this genocide? How do these figures even suggest that whites will one day become a minority in the classroom?

Presuming this would indeed lead to genocide, so what? If you care so much about the colour of ones skin then please go educate yourself. If this country ends up with more black/asian people than white people, I wouldn't give a damn. I'd care more about the people themselves, not their colour.

We must be mad, literally mad.......................

Immigration can be good. It can be very good. But what the poster is saying is that there are area's that are becoming ghetto's. Even the Germans have realised the multiculturalism has failed. There's problems with integration as we can see with 84 schools having non whites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11559451
Reply 46
Original post by Iron Lady
The Guardian is just as bad.

People quote the Daily Mail to provide the facts (they wouldn't publish falsified figures), then you can research your beloved "superior" newspapers if it upsets you so much.

You're not REALLY that naïve are you??
If you're white British you're advocating the gradual genocide of your own race.

If you are not white British you are not in a position to patronize those who care about their nation and its people.

no patronisation required - it is quite clear you are moron inciting hateful comments subtly.
Original post by james22
The DM is probably the most unreliable newspaper out there, they twist everythign and have been known to actually make up stories completely and pass them off as fact. One example of this was a story they printed about a Polish dentist who removed all her ex boyfriends teeth, when someone investigated further and found no evidence they asked the DM for their sources and tehy replied that they had no idea where the story had come from and could not find any evidence to back it up.

I'd have put the Daily Mail and the Guardian equally bad ranking. Somewhere above the Sun though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by whyumadtho

Okay, so these studies highlight economic inequality and not culture/ethnicity as the root of problems with social cohesion.

Yet this same factor is also used to excuse the obscene over-representation of BME groups in crime committed in the UK. At what point do we have to start drawing politically incorrect conclusions?

I'm sure a multi-kulti society where everyone's nice and rich could work in theory, but we're not going to get that are we.
Original post by TheAwkwardBalloon
no patronisation required - it is quite clear you are moron inciting hateful comments subtly.

The only people I hate are the people forcing the replacement of the white British population via policies of "multiculturalism" and "mass immigration".
Reply 51
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'd have put the Daily Mail and the Guardian equally bad ranking. Somewhere above the Sun though.

But The Sun doesn't take itself seriously. I mean look at the "News in Briefs". It recognises itself for what it is: current affairs entertainment. Considering the power inherent with such a soap-box as a national newspaper, is there anyone who believes that they are about informing the public, and not about pushing forward whatever agenda the current editor/owners have? Sure call in the tin-foil hats if you want, I just think considering the influence newspapers have its incredibly naïve to assume that they are run by only good-natured honest people (hint: very few of them in the upper tiers of business) who want the best for their fellow man, and feel that freedom of information is every mans right.

Off home now. Back tomorrow :biggrin:
The only people I hate are the people forcing the replacement of the white British population via policies of "multiculturalism" and "mass immigration".

Why? What the hell does skin colour matter? Why is it important?
Okay, so these studies highlight economic inequality and not culture/ethnicity as the root of problems with social cohesion.

Yet this same factor is also used to excuse the obscene over-representation of BME groups in crime committed in the UK.
Which is also corroborated by empirical evidence:

The analysis shows that social class, ethnic identity and participation in religious observance were not associated with greater or less likelihood of young people following offending or drug-use pathways, once other factors were taken into account (Hales et al., 2009).

At what point do we have to start drawing politically incorrect conclusions?
These conclusions only follow from the empirical evidence; it's not my fault your baseless theories don't correspond with empirical reality.

I'm sure a multi-kulti society where everyone's nice and rich could work in theory, but we're not going to get that are we.
What do you imagine multiculturalism to be? I've established in the other thread that your conceptualisation of culture is not grounded in reality, so perhaps the way you imagine multiculturalism is at fault.
Original post by playingcards
Why? What the hell does skin colour matter? Why is it important?

do you agree with the Chinese genocide of ethnic Tibetan people? Do Tibetans not matter?
Reply 55
If you're white British you're advocating the gradual genocide of your own race.

If you are not white British you are not in a position to patronize those who care about their nation and its people.

What does "White British" mean? If an Italian or Ukrainian family moved here in the 1950s, would their grandchildren, born and raised in this country, be classed as White British?
Reply 56
Original post by Kiss
You trying to make use of a joke which is well been overused is like flogging a dead horse.

The Daily Mail isn't even that bad a paper on anything other than health articles. True the comments sections make the readership look ridiculous in some places but that doesn't represent the papers editorship. I still wouldn't advocate people reading it all the time but it gets an overly bad rap on here.

On the main point, ethnic minority groups are having more kids than white British people per head so this was inevitable. It does the country no harm. We're not witnessing a genocide of our white British people or whatever a poster rather sensationally put. We're emigrating out too. It's not as if we're dying out here the population growth is just slowing. I can't see that as a negative really look at all the problems we now face with old age persons because of the baby boom!

Immigration can be good. It can be very good. But what the poster is saying is that there are area's that are becoming ghetto's. Even the Germans have realised the multiculturalism has failed. There's problems with integration as we can see with 84 schools having non whites.

No, the poster has not at all mentioned ghetto's in his response, or multiculturalism. He said the following:

''If you're white British you're advocating the gradual genocide of your own race.''

Having 84 schools with no white students does not mean that ''integration'' has failed, it means that there is a presence of ''non-white'' children only. This is to be expected in any country whereas there is a significant number of people of an ethnicity different to the majority. The absense of white students does not suggest that different cultures within the area can not coexist.

What constitutes a ghetto? There is a spatial concentration of wealth, architecture and services/amenities everywhere in this country. These areas correlate with the sociocultural attributes of the people in the area. You're not going to find a nightclub in a rural village filled with geriatric people.
Reply 59
So there are around 16,971 primary schools in England, according to ''Cilt''. That means that a total 67/16,971 schools consist of no white children. That's 0.4% of primary schools. Quite a big number, isn't it? (Sarcasm)

''OH NO WE'RE BEING OVERUN BY IMMIGRANTS! Panic panic panic! The white race will soon become a minority!''

Not exactly.

There are a total of 24,372 schools in England, according to the DoE. Now that makes 84/24,372 schools (most likely consisting of primary and secondary). Still, around 0.4%.

Not much of a big deal if you ask me. Hell, bump that number up to 50% and I still wouldn't care. Why should I?

So what if its a small percentage? It's more than 0 which is the problem. Even if you disagree with the whole 'white culture being overrun' this is segregation at the very least.

Latest

Trending

Trending