The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hunter_scfc
In Beaumont there is three blocks of 20-30 people on a ground and first floor. They are all catered students and each have one kitchen on each floor. They then have two bathrooms on each side of the block with two/three showers and toilets in each. Hope this clarifies things.

Thats the only thing that put me off about the big corridors of so many.... the one kitchen. Would people have to just keep snacks of their own in rooms? And made me wonder how would fridge space work with so many!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Hart1995
Thats the only thing that put me off about the big corridors of so many.... the one kitchen. Would people have to just keep snacks of their own in rooms? And made me wonder how would fridge space work with so many!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people keep stuff like snacks/tins in their room, which isn't a problem as there is enough space. You have two fridges and there is always enough room for stuff to go in. The kitchen, in catered, tend to be only for light snacks as well though so i've never found it a problem.
Reply 802
Does anyone reside off campus or used the SULETS to find a a place of residence for the academic year. I'm an international student looking for a place to stay and I'm checking out all my options, which is quite difficult to do when I can't actually tour these places.

Thanks.
Reply 803
Original post by zander16
Hey, i'm a current first year staying in John Fosters so if you need any info i'm happy to help :smile:

I have my accomodation firmed and I am in John Foster Hall, Spinneys House Floor 1 Room 15 premium single room.
Does this mean that I am actually in one of the houses ??
Does anyone know if its possible to make amendments to the accom form, as I'm under a conditional offer, so haven't been allocated a room yet?
It sounds ridiculously fussy, but I find it really difficult to sleep if the bed is against the wrong wall (it sounds ridiculous as I type it, but its true!) and I didn't even think of adding anything like this in the notes section ... is there any chance I could add this?
Original post by rosiesaurus
Does anyone know if its possible to make amendments to the accom form, as I'm under a conditional offer, so haven't been allocated a room yet?
It sounds ridiculously fussy, but I find it really difficult to sleep if the bed is against the wrong wall (it sounds ridiculous as I type it, but its true!) and I didn't even think of adding anything like this in the notes section ... is there any chance I could add this?

If you apply for a premium ensuite at Opal then you don't have to worry because the bed locates in the center of the room:biggrin:
Reply 806
Hey, The earlier replies in this thread indicate that JoFo 'used' to cost the most?
I am in the process of applying for accomodation, and I am not sure where to apply, if they all cost the same now - is JoFo the better choice?
Original post by Efikal :D
Hey, The earlier replies in this thread indicate that JoFo 'used' to cost the most?
I am in the process of applying for accomodation, and I am not sure where to apply, if they all cost the same now - is JoFo the better choice?

Hey. I've had a quick look to see if what you were saying about 'Jofo used to cost more' to see if the statement was true. It all depends on the type of room you are allocated. Technically you could get a room in Beaumont (viewed as cheaper) which costs more than a room in John Foster. It is down to the room type. However, the majority of Jofo are of the more expensive type hence why they are viewed as 'more expensive'. Say for example you wanted to live in a standard catered room (one of the cheapest) it is possible but 458 rooms out of 480 are ensuite so your chances are slim. I hope this all makes sense (revision is making me tired).

Ultimately you need to think about a few things when deciding where and what to apply for: cost, self-catered vs catered, atmosphere, type of building. Beaumont is known more for the atmosphere and being relatively cheaper than the other accommodation. However, where the atmosphere is will depend year on year as it ultimately boils down to who you are living with. My concern with choosing Jofo when i was in this process (last year) was if i ended up in a flat with four/five other people and we didn't have anything in common. Now i ended up in a block with 30 people on one floor (Beaumont). If you are willing to pay more to live in the nicer buildings go for Jofo but definitely consider Beaumont and GMS. I can't really answer a lot on Jofo but i have seen posts on here from current Jofo students so asking them maybe a good start.

I apologise for the essay and i do hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 808
Original post by Hunter_scfc
".."

Hey,
OK it makes perfect sense, I just assumed the pricing changed since 2011 (thread start) or so - I'm really out of the loop with Leicesters housing (Pretty sure I'm heading Leicester now) so I just wanna get to the more sociable/active accom.

Thanks for help and good luck in your studies
Reply 809
Original post by hanwake7
I have my accomodation firmed and I am in John Foster Hall, Spinneys House Floor 1 Room 15 premium single room.
Does this mean that I am actually in one of the houses ??

Spinneys House is a small cottage like block on Manor Road. Its not an actual apartment block like the others but works in the same way.
Reply 810

Just sleep the other way up if it's the wrong side, that's what I do.

You are correct, this is ridiculously fussy. You can move the bed to another wall if you wish when you get there, but really you should be over these kind of things at this age, unless it is for religious reasons.
Original post by LeicesterStudent
You are correct, this is ridiculously fussy. You can move the bed to another wall if you wish when you get there, but really you should be over these kind of things at this age, unless it is for religious reasons.

OCD is not something you can 'get over'
Granted, I could move the bed, but it would depend on the plug sockets/internet cable and desk arrangement
OCD is not something you can 'get over'
Granted, I could move the bed, but it would depend on the plug sockets/internet cable and desk arrangement

You are also able to move desks and buy extension sockets/cables.
Original post by LeicesterStudent
You are also able to move desks and buy extension sockets/cables.

Are Beaumont Hall and Digby Hall basically the same? Which one would you say is better situated in the student village? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hart1995
Are Beaumont Hall and Digby Hall basically the same? Which one would you say is better situated in the student village? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there :smile: Digby hall is about 1/4 a mile away from the main student village, whilst Beaumont is in the centre of it. Digby hall students have to walk to Beaumont every day for their meals, which is sort of a ballache. I would suggest trying your best to live in Beaumont, as its just so much more central and convenient. Of course, it doesn'fatter where you live really, it's the people who make it enjoyable. If you have any more questions let me know :smile:
Hey I picked a Premium En-suite plus without really checking what the difference was having the 'plus' part... anyone know?
Also, would I be in a flat with people who have picked 'plus' option or will I be mixed with people who have selected normal en-suite

Also, I have accepted my accom offer (I have unconditional, on my gap year) so am I able to change my accomm choice or is it too late???!!
Anyone eles planning to live at The Summit?IMG-20130604-WA0001.jpg
Original post by funkymonks
Also, I have accepted my accom offer (I have unconditional, on my gap year) so am I able to change my accomm choice or is it too late???!!

Email the accommodation office, I managed to change a few days after I got my results. I'm sure they will be understanding and reasonable and try to solve any problems you may have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending