The Student Room Group

Summer Camp in America 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by upthelooda
wow! where abouts? I've applied to wildpacks but there is a fee of £100 if your application gets accepted before they will even take a look at you! I'm not quite sure if I want to waste £100 if I could go somewhere else for cheaper! also I think you have to pay for your own flights etc, but it wasn't made very clear!! :smile:

I've never heard of wildpacks. I think im going to go with either americamp or camp america but i need to save loads first so might be 2015 by the time i get to go. Im from lanarkshire, where are you from?
Reply 21
Original post by RLSouthorn
Yea i am too!! I'm from the UK - yorkshire (north) way! Add me on Facebook if you're going :smile: Rebecca Louise

my name is Tiernach O'Reilly add me I can't find you and I guessing I'm the only Tiernach O'Reilly on Facebook:P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Hi guys, I am also applying for Camp America for summer 2014! So excited already, really hope I get placed!

Which kind of camp would you guys prefer :smile:? x
Original post by Staceyc1990
I've never heard of wildpacks. I think im going to go with either americamp or camp america but i need to save loads first so might be 2015 by the time i get to go. Im from lanarkshire, where are you from?

oh my god!! I'm from south Lanarkshire!! I had never heard of it till the other day! I think I'll also apply for the one in tanzinia, that you mentioned! but applications don't open till August if I remember correctly! yeah, same! who knew it would be this expensive?:frown:
Original post by upthelooda
oh my god!! I'm from south Lanarkshire!! I had never heard of it till the other day! I think I'll also apply for the one in tanzinia, that you mentioned! but applications don't open till August if I remember correctly! yeah, same! who knew it would be this expensive?:frown:

Wow lol small place! Yeah i didnt realise it was so expensive either, although i'd rather pay for my flight if it meant i had more wages to spend if i decided to do travelling. I'll probably wait till 2015 now though because i want to have more than enough money. Unless i find a job quickly
I really want to apply for next year :smile: I really wanted to go to Uni in America but its just too much :smile: so I figured this would be a really nice way of meeting people and spending time there :smile: I'm doing a btec in art and design and I did photography for a few small company's so I'm hoping that will help them consider me :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by oliveoilx
Hi guys, I am also applying for Camp America for summer 2014! So excited already, really hope I get placed!

Which kind of camp would you guys prefer :smile:? x

Really want to do camp work next summer myself, honestly i'd take any sort of camp, though working with disabled kids out there would be pretty cool. I have disabled parents so am pretty comfortable and used to "working" with and around those sorts of issues.

Was going to apply this year for camp america, filled out an application only to find out you had to be a student to do the campower side of things and i thought i would have needed some sort of coaching quals to do that side of things (turns out i was wrong) so yer i'm determined to get around to doing it next summer.

I'm off to uni in September as a mature student (only 21!) and really don't fancy the idea of coming back and living with the parents for the summer. (As much as i love them i want to see the world and stand on my own two feet!)

Sorry for the ramble but yer basically i want any kind of work somewhere i've not been to before... :biggrin:
How much money do you think is needed roughly for the whole thing?
Reply 28
Original post by Staceyc1990
How much money do you think is needed roughly for the whole thing?

Well it's about £800 for the application process, then you have £200 ish for clothes and other bits you might need to buy then £1000-£2000 for traveling after! So it is a lot of money, don't forget you get about $700 wages when your out there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmatays
Well it's about £800 for the application process, then you have £200 ish for clothes and other bits you might need to buy then £1000-£2000 for traveling after! So it is a lot of money, don't forget you get about $700 wages when your out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where on earth did you get amount £800 for the application alone??
Original post by kathbobbin

It says £771 on the website :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
its a good idea by the way...have no experience in state before.
Original post by kathbobbin

I think she might be including the flight in that
Reply 33
Original post by Faye_m
I worked in a camp last year in America where lots of people came thru the camp America agency! Most of them went back this year! They loved it!

Would you say it's worth going even if it would take up a lot of my savings? I have been looking at a few different camps for summer 2014, mainly camp America, but can't seem to find exactly how much it would cost and whether that includes the weeks of travel that follow the weeks working on a camp?
Reply 34
I can't recommend not using Camp America enough. They over-charge and are horrendous to deal with.

One person says one thing, another says something different then tries to not refund you.

Go with Camp Leaders or Americamp.
How much should people have saved up for it alltogether?
I think there would be plenty of 18 year olds, its more likely to be old farts like me that are the ones feeling like they dont fit in lol
Awww lol i bet there will be loads and loads of other 18 year olds
Hey guys! Just finishing 3 and a half months travel in Asia and im looking for my next adventures. Camp America is pretty appealing right now :smile:
[QUOTE=EllaBella

How was asia? Did you go alone?

Quick Reply

Latest