The Student Room Group

Whats more important, AS or predicted grades? Please answer

Hi :smile:

I want to study Politics at university. Now the universities I'm looking at range from AAB requirements to ABB. AAB is Exeter and I would love to go there. The other Unis are Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds and Nottingham.

However, if for instance, I got BCC + A* or BBC + A* in EPQ at AS and was predicted AAB/ABB at A2 would they not consider me even after I inform them I'm wanting to resit certain modules?

Will they look at my AS grades more than my predicted and not give me an offer because my AS grades are too low?

Btw i'm regarded as someone from a 'Disadvantaged background', and every teacher I've asked said my PS was one of the best they've seen, would this effect my chances of receiving an offer?

What's more important, AS or predicted grades in this scenario?

Thanks for your time :smile:
Reply 1
The AS grades I just gave you are examples by the way. Obviously I have to wait till August but I'm really anxious and worried I wont get into my preferred Universities, am I over reacting?
Reply 2
They will consider you, I got CCCDE at AS, and got offers up to AAA from various unis.

But I had good predicted grades, a decent PS, good references and had tonnes of resits so they could see I was attempting to boost them.

But do consider if applying to loads of high ranking unis is a great idea, especially if you don't do great at AS. What I mean is don't just apply to unis that are AAB -ABB, look to have a lower one for your insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by dean01234
They will consider you, I got CCCDE at AS, and got offers up to AAA from various unis.

But I had good predicted grades, a decent PS, good references and had tonnes of resits so they could see I was attempting to boost them.

But do consider if applying to loads of high ranking unis is a great idea, especially if you don't do great at AS. What I mean is don't just apply to unis that are AAB -ABB, look to have a lower one for your insurance.

Wow what course did you apply for and what subjects were did you take onto A2? :redface:o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by dean01234

Thank you for your reply :smile:

I will probably go for Loughborough which requires BBB.

May I ask you what Unis you applied to and what course?

Again, thanks :smile:
Many top Unis 'sift' on your predicted grades/subjects alone, especially for highly competitive subjects (English, Economics, Medicine etc). Your predicted grades dont match/exceed, you get an automatic rejection.

Others look at your AS grades and predicted grades together - this is particularly important with what is clearly 'an over prediction', where the AS grades and predicted A2 grades are yards apart and there is no reasonable explanation in the reference (ie. not just 'I think he can achieve').

If you think you qualify for a contextual offer (taking a low achieving school or other disadvantage into account) you should contact each Uni before you submit your application to UCAS to find out exactly what their procedure is.
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
Wow what course did you apply for and what subjects were did you take onto A2? :redface:o

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS: Economics, Maths, History, Chemistry and Critical thinking. The last 2 I dropped as they were the ones I performed worst in...
Original post by Haifa48
Thank you for your reply :smile:

I will probably go for Loughborough which requires BBB.

May I ask you what Unis you applied to and what course?

Again, thanks :smile:

Loughborough, Sussex, UEA, Hertfordshire and Kent to do Economics.

I didn't actually get to ready my predicted grades or references, but I got on well with most of my teachers so I think they would have been very good. Hopefully I wasn't an exception and wish you luck for results day and with your applications :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending