The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Appeals FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
For my standard grade biology prelim I got a 1, does that mean that this would be my predicted grade too?
Original post by weejackie10
What's the chances of getting an appeal if you failed the exam but passed your prelim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afraid we can't tell you. :no:
Appeals are very idiosyncratic in nature, so it's impossible for us to give you an intellectually honest answer about how likely it'd be for you to get a successful one. It all depends on the evidence your school provides and what the SQA thinks of that evidence!
If you were predicted higher than a fail, then you'll be eligible for an appeal! If you want to make one, then you should get in contact with your school ASAP, but it all depends on the evidence you have. :smile:

Original post by GoldenOne
For my standard grade biology prelim I got a 1, does that mean that this would be my predicted grade too?

Probably, but not necessarily - teachers can take into account lots of things to decide on predicted grades!
If you're curious and you don't remember yours, you can always just ask what it is and whether you'd be eligible for an appeal when you go back to school. As it's a Standard Grade appeal, you have ages to get it sorted!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Probably, but not necessarily - teachers can take into account lots of things to decide on predicted grades!
If you're curious and you don't remember yours, you can always just ask what it is and whether you'd be eligible for an appeal when you go back to school. As it's a Standard Grade appeal, you have ages to get it sorted!

Thanks! I was never told what my predicted grade was (my teacher wasn't very good at keeping us up to date with that sort of thing unfortunately). As you say, I've got plenty of time to find out.
Original post by GoldenOne
Thanks! I was never told what my predicted grade was (my teacher wasn't very good at keeping us up to date with that sort of thing unfortunately). As you say, I've got plenty of time to find out.

Ah, that sucks! Your teacher really should have told you!

As for now, I saw your results on another thread: You've done perfectly well! It's time to celebrate, enjoy the rest of your summer until you go back to school, and sort this stuff out then. :smile:
Reply 64
Ah, that sucks! Your teacher really should have told you!

As for now, I saw your results on another thread: You've done perfectly well! It's time to celebrate, enjoy the rest of your summer until you go back to school, and sort this stuff out then. :smile:

Haha I guess I'm just a worrier by nature! Thanks :tongue:
Hello :smile:

I'm a Mum of boy who received his results yesterday. He did fine with one Int 2 at an A pass, three '1' passes and 4 '2' passes at Standard Grade. We're pretty happy with results, but I was having a look at his predictions and wondered if there was any point in appealing on any of the '2s'.

In his Geography prelim he scored a 2 for the K&U part, and a '1' for the ES section which gave him an overall '1' score. I see that Geography is weighted 60-40 with the ES score getting the higher 60 rating.

In his exam results yesterday he has reversed his scores with a '1' for the K&U and a '2' for the ES part and the weighting has brought his overall grade down to a '2'. I wonder if it's worth appealing and trying to get the grade up to a '1'?

I've enjoyed reading the forum over the last few months and I'm very pleased for everyone who got the grades they wanted yesterday. Well done all of you and I'm very glad it wasn't me! If it helps anyone who didn't get what they wanted, I was a time-waster at school and didn't achieve more than a handful of 'O' grades when I left after 4th year. I did got back a few years later and trained as a nurse and later on I achieved a degree and worked as an FE Lecturer. I don't any longer due to health issues, but certainly I coped better with education as a mature student. It doesn't always suit to forge ahead straight from school!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
First of all, I love your name :lol:

But if he got a 1 in his prelim it's always worth a shot, contact the school and see what they say about it :smile:
motherofanumpty :rofl:
You may scoff but it's stressful being the mother of a numpty! He's smart but he doesn't believe in studying, or homework or planning for the future. Lives in the moment, the world of X-box and the pit that is his bedroom. The only prep he did for his exams was me reading out past papers to him and making him answer the questions and only the night before the exams!

I had lots of grey hairs before May, but I look like Mrs Claus now.

I hope when he gets back to school and goes into his Higher classes that he 'catches' some sense of responsibility from the sensible kids (In a kind of numpty-see, numpty-do way).

Anyway, I will get in touch with his teachers on Monday and ask about the Geography appeal, he's not taking it as a Higher, but I feel I deserve a 1 for my stress and effort. He'll forget to ask because he's, well, he's a numpty.
I'm trying to send in an Urgent Appeal as I was one grade off my firm choice (Needed ABB got BBBC) but my Guidance teacher won't be in until tomorrow, will I still have enough time to send away an appeal? I would hate possibly missing my firm choice because I couldn't get an appeal quick enough... I'm also worried about contacting the Universities saying I've put it for an Urgent Appeal just in case they say no, I also have a conditional for my insurance and they haven't confirmed or declared it as unsuccessful yet as I again missed it by one grade (BBBB) I'm worried just in case if I ask them to wait they'll just give the possible place to someone else...

I'm a very worried person.
Reply 70
Original post by JonathanHan01
I'm trying to send in an Urgent Appeal as I was one grade off my firm choice (Needed ABB got BBBC) but my Guidance teacher won't be in until tomorrow, will I still have enough time to send away an appeal? I would hate possibly missing my firm choice because I couldn't get an appeal quick enough... I'm also worried about contacting the Universities saying I've put it for an Urgent Appeal just in case they say no, I also have a conditional for my insurance and they haven't confirmed or declared it as unsuccessful yet as I again missed it by one grade (BBBB) I'm worried just in case if I ask them to wait they'll just give the possible place to someone else...

I'm a very worried person.

Yes, you'll still have enough time but make sure you get in contact them as early as you can. You'll also need to contact your universities as soon as you can and explain your situation. I understand why you're worried as it's a stressful time but the longer you wait the less chance you have of going to your firm. Contact your firm uni ASAP and explain you're submitting an urgent appeal. If they're nice they should wait till Aug 31st to hear if you've got a successful appeal.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yes, you'll still have enough time but make sure you get in contact them as early as you can. You'll also need to contact your universities as soon as you can and explain your situation. I understand why you're worried as it's a stressful time but the longer you wait the less chance you have of going to your firm. Contact your firm uni ASAP and explain you're submitting an urgent appeal. If they're nice they should wait till Aug 31st to hear if you've got a successful appeal.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly, I have literally just finished contacting my firm University by email, hopefully they are nice to me and can wait for me. Here's hoping for at least one of my possible two appeals can succeed :redface:
Reply 72
Hi
Any advice? I just got my Higher results and got 3 As, a B and a C in English!! I was predicted to get an A in both English and the subject I got a B in. I am going to appeal, but what is the chance of getting it put up to an A?
Thanx
Original post by F Mackay
Hi
Any advice? I just got my Higher results and got 3 As, a B and a C in English!! I was predicted to get an A in both English and the subject I got a B in. I am going to appeal, but what is the chance of getting it put up to an A?
Thanx

No advice, unfortunately. You've said exactly what you should do - appeal!

I'm afraid we can't tell you the chances of getting a successful appeal. The appeal process is incredibly idiosyncratic so it's impossible for us to give you an intellectually honest answer. All we can tell you is whether you'd be eligible for an appeal or not (if it's true that you were predicted an A in both subjects, then you're eligible for an appeal. :yes:).
Reply 74
Original post by JonathanHan01
Thank you so much for replying so quickly, I have literally just finished contacting my firm University by email, hopefully they are nice to me and can wait for me. Here's hoping for at least one of my possible two appeals can succeed :redface:

Phoning them would probably be better if you can, they might have a backlog with emails.

Original post by F Mackay
Hi
Thanx

Well done on those awesome results, they really are great! :biggrin: To answer your question though, see the last question in the FAQ of the opening post. Nobody can really tell you how successful you'll be I'm afraid. Good luck, though!
I understand. You put in so much work, and you just don't feel like you got the grades to show it!
In a couple of years, your Higher grades won't even matter to you any more. Trust me! I'm really sorry that you feel disappointed with your results now, but I hope that in the future you'll be able to look back and be very proud of what you've achieved and all the hard work you put in. :smile:

thanks again x I spoke to my teacher and supposedly I am only 2/3 marks off so they are going to request a recount AND a remark. so chuffed !
Reply 76
Original post by Apologetic Cube

Say, hypothetically, the SQA made a mistake in which they lost a component of your exam, say, a second answer booklet, or your multiple choice answers didn't scan properly, what options would you have? Could I ask to have my paper re-examined? I know this sounds as if I'm looking for excuses but I genuinely think something was up in my H Biology exam. In the prelim, I scored 102/130 and I missed out on half of the Section B questions as well as having a pretty poor Section C. Nevertheless, I scored an A grade, whereas, in the real exam, where the A boundary was 90/130, and I answered every question thoroughly and had a dream Section C, I got a B. I seriously don't understand how I could have dropped 40 marks. If someone had asked me what exam you thought you were guaranteed an A in, I would have said Biology.

There are three possibilities:
1. I genuinely did mess-up, possibly in the problem solving questions, but I still seriously doubt that I dropped 40 marks.
2. I didn't use a HB pencil in Section A Multiple Choice, perhaps some of my answers weren't scanned properly?
3. I used two answer booklets for when I got to Section C; possibly one could have gone missing?

I know how sour this sounds but I just can't let this rest, given that it is my future. that Can I request that the SQA look at my exam paper again?

You'll need to speak to the SQA representative at your school about that and they can liaise with the SQA to see if there are any relevant options.
Original post by Apologetic Cube

Say, hypothetically, the SQA made a mistake in which they lost a component of your exam, say, a second answer booklet, or your multiple choice answers didn't scan properly, what options would you have? Could I ask to have my paper re-examined? I know this sounds as if I'm looking for excuses but I genuinely think something was up in my H Biology exam. In the prelim, I scored 102/130 and I missed out on half of the Section B questions as well as having a pretty poor Section C. Nevertheless, I scored an A grade, whereas, in the real exam, where the A boundary was 90/130, and I answered every question thoroughly and had a dream Section C, I got a B. I seriously don't understand how I could have dropped 40 marks. If someone had asked me what exam you thought you were guaranteed an A in, I would have said Biology.

There are three possibilities:
1. I genuinely did mess-up, possibly in the problem solving questions, but I still seriously doubt that I dropped 40 marks.
2. I didn't use a HB pencil in Section A Multiple Choice, perhaps some of my answers weren't scanned properly?
3. I used two answer booklets for when I got to Section C; possibly one could have gone missing?

I know how sour this sounds but I just can't let this rest, given that it is my future. Can I request that the SQA look at my exam paper again or have it cross-marked?

Like Ecosse_14 says, you'll need to get a hold of someone in the know if you want to chase this up. We were trained with UCAS and all of their stuff - we're just as clueless about the esoteric inner workings of the SQA as all of you are. :tongue:

You're totally right that it is your future, Alex. But you've got to believe me when I say that this is unlikely to have any significant impact on it. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Motherofanumpty
You may scoff but it's stressful being the mother of a numpty! He's smart but he doesn't believe in studying, or homework or planning for the future. Lives in the moment, the world of X-box and the pit that is his bedroom. The only prep he did for his exams was me reading out past papers to him and making him answer the questions and only the night before the exams!

I had lots of grey hairs before May, but I look like Mrs Claus now.

I hope when he gets back to school and goes into his Higher classes that he 'catches' some sense of responsibility from the sensible kids (In a kind of numpty-see, numpty-do way).

Anyway, I will get in touch with his teachers on Monday and ask about the Geography appeal, he's not taking it as a Higher, but I feel I deserve a 1 for my stress and effort. He'll forget to ask because he's, well, he's a numpty.

Hey there! First of all, your son's gotten really great results! I hope you're proud of him for that, or rather, be proud of yourself for that matter; I can't believe you went to such efforts to make him study!

I just want to add a bit of authority to what my colleagues have said up above: whether or not he'd be eligible for an appeal depends on the predictions his teacher submitted for Geography. If he was predicted a 1, then he's eligible for an appeal! You can discuss this all with his teacher when you get in touch with them. There's ages until the deadline for Standard Grade appeals, so there's no rush.

Also, you have such a wonderful way with words. :rofl:
Reply 79
Hi all i do like this site and find it informative

I'm a parent and my daughter got her 5th year higher results. A,b,b,c,c.and is going to appeal a B and C hoping to get into Strathclyde uní.

What i really would like some help with is an explanation on 1st sitting and 2nd sitting results and what this actally means.
Strathclyde say for example 1st sitting a,a,a,b,b. 2nd sitting a,a,a,a,a,b,b,b.

Hope you can explain.

Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending