The Student Room Group

Don't know which a levels to take, want to do law at uni

I'm going to restart my a levels next year and afterwards I want to go to uni to study law I've got a list of subjects I want to take, baring in mine I already have as levels in ICT and business and a btec level 3 diploma in applied science.

I want to take four subjects out of the following list that I can get good grades on ideally a/b's
The list is

Law
Economics
Psychology
Sociology
French
Media

Any advise would be really useful :smile:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by phippsyc
I'm going to restart my a levels next year and afterwards I want to go to uni to study law I've got a list of subjects I want to take, baring in mine I already have as levels in ICT and business and a btec level 3 diploma in applied science.

I want to take four subjects out of the following list that I can get good grades on ideally a/b's
The list is

Law
Economics
Psychology
Sociology
French
Media

Any advise would be really useful :smile:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, I would go with the subjects you think you would enjoy the most and the ones that you think look the best in terms of course content.
English/Hisitry and always goo as they show you have analytical and essay writing skills.

I think unis don't like you taking "law" at A level as they would prefer a more traditional subject (French would be a good choice)
Reply 3
Thank you both for your advice, history is a no go for me unfortunately as I have never really liked it and know not a lot about it, and although I got a grades at English literature and language I don't think I really want to take it at a level as I did not enjoy it at all and I feel like I wouldn't put a lot of effort into it so would do awful In it and I always used to absolutely dread my English lessons at GCSE :frown: I really don't know what to do, I've heard that some unis don't like you having a level ,aw and you have to have a really good grade in a level law to get into uni to do law however I really don't know what to do haha, think I'm going to get in touch with potential university's and see if they would accept law as a subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by phippsyc
Thank you both for your advice, history is a no go for me unfortunately as I have never really liked it and know not a lot about it, and although I got a grades at English literature and language I don't think I really want to take it at a level as I did not enjoy it at all and I feel like I wouldn't put a lot of effort into it so would do awful In it and I always used to absolutely dread my English lessons at GCSE :frown: I really don't know what to do, I've heard that some unis don't like you having a level ,aw and you have to have a really good grade in a level law to get into uni to do law however I really don't know what to do haha, think I'm going to get in touch with potential university's and see if they would accept law as a subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, may be a good idea to ask the universities and see what they recommend you take, or if there are any subjects they rather you wouldn't take. :smile:
Ecosse_14 has the right idea. If you are hoping for As and Bs at A level, choose subjects that you have a real interest in - you are much more likely to do well in your A levels if you do. The Russell Group has published a list of 'facilitating subjects' which are the subjects which are most likely to be required in general by Russell Group universities: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History and Languages.

It may be worth having a think about where you might want to study law and seeing what subjects they recommend or require. For instance, Edinburgh's minimum requirements for undergraduate entry are:

"A Levels: BBB including English Literature or English Language. GCSEs: Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C. Note: English Language and English Literature GCSE both at Grade A are accepted in place of A Level English."

You don't want to get half-way through another round of A levels and find you don't meet some of a particular university's requirements! It might be a good idea to contact some universities in which you have an interest now and ask them what they would advise. Good luck, whatever you decide to take.

Naveed
Reply 6
Original post by Greene's
Ecosse_14 has the right idea. If you are hoping for As and Bs at A level, choose subjects that you have a real interest in - you are much more likely to do well in your A levels if you do. The Russell Group has published a list of 'facilitating subjects' which are the subjects which are most likely to be required in general by Russell Group universities: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History and Languages.

It may be worth having a think about where you might want to study law and seeing what subjects they recommend or require. For instance, Edinburgh's minimum requirements for undergraduate entry are:

"A Levels: BBB including English Literature or English Language. GCSEs: Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C. Note: English Language and English Literature GCSE both at Grade A are accepted in place of A Level English."

You don't want to get half-way through another round of A levels and find you don't meet some of a particular university's requirements! It might be a good idea to contact some universities in which you have an interest now and ask them what they would advise. Good luck, whatever you decide to take.

Naveed

Ah thank you this was really useful as I'm not keen on doing English for a level however I have a in English literature and language at GCSE so it's good to see that it's possible for at least one uni to accept GCSE English instead! I'm hoping to do law at the university of derby as I did work experience in there department and absolutely loved it. I've just emailed them so will hopefully get some more information at current on their website it just says 320 ucas points :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest