The Student Room Group

advice pleeeasse!!!

Hi guys....
I've just opened my A Level results to find I got 3 A*'s and an A!! I've got an offer to do English Lit at UEA which is a great place to study the arts.
BUT...
I wasnt expecting to do quite as well and am now considering whether I should reapply for Oxford or Cambridge instead...(bearing in mind I got to interview stage last year but didnt get offered a place)

What do you think?? Will having 3 A*'s under my belt increase my chances of getting into Cambridge or should I stick with UEA who have a really good course.

Is it worth the risk of being rejected a second time?
Any help would be appreciated :smile::smile::smile: xx
Welcome to TSR :biggrin:

Are you set on an Oxbridge uni and can handle a gap year? If so, you can reapply. It depends on the basis for which you reckon you were rejected this year.

But if you think you'd like any uni that'd give you a better offer, you can try Adjustment.
Original post by Rosella
Hi guys....
I've just opened my A Level results to find I got 3 A*'s and an A!! I've got an offer to do English Lit at UEA which is a great place to study the arts.
BUT...
I wasnt expecting to do quite as well and am now considering whether I should reapply for Oxford or Cambridge instead...(bearing in mind I got to interview stage last year but didnt get offered a place)

What do you think?? Will having 3 A*'s under my belt increase my chances of getting into Cambridge or should I stick with UEA who have a really good course.

Is it worth the risk of being rejected a second time?
Any help would be appreciated :smile::smile::smile: xx

Well done! You could speak to Oxbridge about your chances as a reapplicant.

With A*A*A*A you could pretty much guarantee holding a place next year, but it once again may not be Oxbridge. There's also the question of what you'd do for the next year - do you have options there?

Don't rush into anything - you've got until just before term starts to decide if you don't want to go to UEA.
I personallly wouldnt go for it incase i might get rejected as im terrible at interviews let alone at cambridge. But i would suggest thinking and weighing up the pros and cons first before. Ask family and friends what they think and if you want to go for it do so. Ultimately only you can make decision.
Go for it as your grades are amazing but I will let you know this. Coming from a school where nearly everyone has the grades you have, a lot of people got rejected.
Were your AS grades good last year? If so, then maybe what went wrong weren't your grades but your actual interviews etc. so you might want to improve on that.
Because although grades are ultimately very important, the interviews are what I think finally differentiate between those that are suitable for Oxbridge and those that arent!

Wish you all the luck though whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending