The Student Room Group

Third year at college or Manchester Uni?

Like many of you here, when it came to facing the reality of results I wasn't best pleased. My offer of ABB to study English and Greek Civilisation at Leeds University was met with a measly BBC and a straight up rejection on UCAS. 5000 e-mails and phone calls later I was left with a choice.

Go to The University of Manchester studying English and Screen studies or stay at my college for a third year to bump up my grades to get to Leeds.

I think I would be happy with the course as it's english related (my "forte") a respectable Uni and closer to home than Leeds, however my heart has been set on Yorkshire for the past year especially due to the location and course- even if it does cost 364 days.

Of Course ultimately it is my decision alone to make, but has anyone any advice to offer me or can relate to this decision?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I did make an account just for this- thanks!
Original post by Albean
Like many of you here, when it came to facing the reality of results I wasn't best pleased. My offer of ABB to study English and Greek Civilisation at Leeds University was met with a measly BBC and a straight up rejection on UCAS. 5000 e-mails and phone calls later I was left with a choice.

Go to The University of Manchester studying English and Screen studies or stay at my college for a third year to bump up my grades to get to Leeds.

I think I would be happy with the course as it's english related (my "forte") a respectable Uni and closer to home than Leeds, however my heart has been set on Yorkshire for the past year especially due to the location and course- even if it does cost 364 days.

Of Course ultimately it is my decision alone to make, but has anyone any advice to offer me or can relate to this decision?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I did make an account just for this- thanks!

Hello,

Sorry that things haven't gone as you might have hoped. It sounds to me like your heart is set on Yorkshire and you are drawn more to the option of taking a year out. If you are in any doubt at all then this is the option I would advise you to take. There is no point starting a course you're not 100% committed to, especially if the university isn't quite what you want either. Time is on your time and better to step back from things than spend £9000 on a course you're not that into.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by F1 fanatic
Hello,

Sorry that things haven't gone as you might have hoped. It sounds to me like your heart is set on Yorkshire and you are drawn more to the option of taking a year out. If you are in any doubt at all then this is the option I would advise you to take. There is no point starting a course you're not 100% committed to, especially if the university isn't quite what you want either. Time is on your time and better to step back from things than spend £9000 on a course you're not that into.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply and commiseration! It really is, I agree with the whole not going into something I'm not 100% sure with so maybe I still need to really evaluate what I want and feel on the situation. There's not many other things I would spend 9k on without being totally certain I wanted it haha! Again I appreciate your advice!
Reply 3
Original post by otester
Either way you're screwed...studying 'mickey mouse' subjects....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing wrong with a realists opinion! Mickey mouse or not the criteria does interest me on both courses and if it means I could potentially come away with a solid degree after 3 years at a respected Uni then it still should be considered. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Albean

I was faced with this decision last year, I decided to take a year out and get better grades (also I studied a new subject as well). I do not regret anything, I did a lot during that year net new people etc but the end result was the best, I am now going to that uni in September :smile:

If you really really want to go to leeds then the year out is the option for you.
Reply 5
Original post by JordanS94
I was faced with this decision last year, I decided to take a year out and get better grades (also I studied a new subject as well). I do not regret anything, I did a lot during that year net new people etc but the end result was the best, I am now going to that uni in September :smile:

If you really really want to go to leeds then the year out is the option for you.

You've really made me consider things now, and by the sounds of it your extra year wasn't too much of a drag either. Sounds like you really knew what you wanted to do and made sure you earned it! Hopefully I'll make the same decision, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending