The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Guys please give me any advice :frown:
Click the link bellow:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2434702
Do papers from the same school get marked by the same examiner ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 362
I got BCC, but my English Literature mark for the exam was messed up. I felt like that was one of the best essays I had ever done, and I've been working at an A/B grade in class all year, but my exam results came back and said that I'd gotten an E in the exam!
Reply 363
Original post by krishkmistry
Do papers from the same school get marked by the same examiner ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good question,

probably not in my opinion but im guessing one examiner will get quite a few papers from the same school (since papers are sent in packages from schools i guess it will be hard to separate them when they get to the exam board)
Reply 364
Original post by I like school
Ditto the offer to send notes if you share a book with me, I did enduring love and Gatsby and coursework was A Midsummer Nights Dream and The History Boys lemme know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by freedomtocreate
That's not really fair, I mean the coursework plays a hefty part in the results. What are you going to do then resit or remark? I'm going back to college. I was in sixth form and the teachers there are spread way too thin. One time I didn't have an English lesson in three weeks, we were all panicking. Did you do English Lit or language? If you are doing English Lit tell me what books you were studying if your resitting and doing the same books as I did I could send you my notes.

Thanks very much to both of you, however, I am not resitting. I am going to get a remark (1 raw mark off of a C) and I will proceed to dropping the subject to evade the torturous lessons of my horrid English teacher. I will only have 2 A2s but plan to fast-track ICT AS and A2 in order to still get to uni for 2014 entry.
I think so,

I got BBD.

But in the subject I got a D in I was only 9 marks off a B. No Joke.

I think at A level those sort of boundaries are unfair. But I don't think that the people who got like 4 E's have really prepared for the exams because you simply can't do that if you have revised unless the boundaries have messed up. I would just find it weird that all 4 exams are E's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by freedomtocreate
I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!

Don't do it the boundaries are tight and you are discriminated against if you aren't good at english.
I do get your point but don't you think you're being a tad harsh, we don't know the situations of the people who got kicked out of sixth form who seem to be really hard working people, it may be down to them it may not be. I personally find exams exams rather hard but my class work is really good, this is generally due to my exam technique, but I seem to be able to pull out adequate results although. What we need to remember is however hard we work there is always a politically spin on the way the exam results go, after all are any parts of society untouched by political bias? I may seem like I'm just blaming the government but in reality I think it's down to a number of factors:

1) Politics (type of exams/grade boundaries)
2) Society (Most people think that getting into an elite university or any university at all is really really important at this age and especially those in the middle class comps think they have a really really decent shot at Cambridge when usually only 1 per year get in- I'm not saying don't aim high but sometimes places like Cambridge isn't the right place for a person)
3) The amount of work a person puts in
4) The Exams themselves (some people naturally excel at exams and others don't find it so easy)
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
One word.

Gove.

Think he was daft getting rid of January resists (what benefit is that like) and starting this new system, they should just leave it alone!
Original post by Sayonara
I believe the AS markings are not harsh at all. They will add the appropriate grade boundaries for varying difficulties of exam papers.

I see many people get full UMS in many exams. So, in my opinion, the AS markings are very, very fair.

If AS markings were to be soft, then what is the point of exams? They need to be harsh to measure a person's capabilities successfully. If they lower the standards, the quality of education and potential employees will decline. People will always get the grade they deserve (except for certain reasons such as medical reasons of course).

Edit: I understand if some people have achieved very poor grades; the poor grades should be a wake up call for these people to work harder and/or alter their revision methods, rather than spending this time giving me a thumbs down. The harshness of markings will prepare you for the real world - prepare you for the standards of work that your employer expects from you. Higher grade boundaries motivate people to work much more harder and it raises standards. Without standards, then as a country (United Kingdom), we won't be able to succeed and surpass other countries. Many second world countries have surpassed USA in terms of education already! Why? USA has low grade boundaries and there are too many people achieving an A. An A will be worth less if markings were to be less harsh. For example, the exam system wouldn't work if everyone who sat an AS exam achieved an A, would it? The 'A' wouldn't mean anything in this case as it cannot be used as a measure of capability for universities and employers. Although, feel free to thumb me down if it really makes you feel any better... Don't give up, keep your head high and try your best! People who face trouble often blame it on others as a way out; instead of blaming the exam boards, blame yourself - it's not the exam's fault, the exam system is not harsh - it may be your revision method, exam technique and/or perhaps you didn't put enough hardwork into it. It's up to the candidate whether they can achieve a good grade or not. Don't blame your friends and family either, if your friends asked you to hang out, you are free to stay home and study, no one's forcing you and at the end of the day, you have free will. Remember this is not GCSE standard. An A Level qualification will no longer be a valid achievement if it was too easy for everyone - I mean... look at GCSEs, GCSEs are not that valuable.

I do get your point but don't you think you're being a tad harsh, we don't know the situations of the people who got kicked out of sixth form who seem to be really hard working people, it may be down to them it may not be. I personally find exams exams rather hard but my class work is really good, this is generally due to my exam technique, but I seem to be able to pull out adequate results although. What we need to remember is however hard we work there is always a politically spin on the way the exam results go, after all are any parts of society untouched by political bias? I may seem like I'm just blaming the government but in reality I think it's down to a number of factors:

1) Politics (type of exams/grade boundaries)
2) Society (Most people think that getting into an elite university or any university at all is really really important at this age and especially those in the middle class comps think they have a really really decent shot at Cambridge when usually only 1 per year get in- I'm not saying don't aim high but sometimes places like Cambridge isn't the right place for a person)
3) The amount of work a person puts in
4) The Exams themselves (some people naturally excel at exams and others don't find it so easy)
I'm getting two geography papers sent in for re-marks. Will it just be one senior examiner marking one paper and another for the other paper?
When my exam was originally marked was it just one person marking it [or two] or was it a bunch of examiners marking different sections?
It's AS AQA geog if that helps.
is anyone in this thread going to retake year 12? I got C and a D (dropped my 3rd AS which I was going to do this year as an A2) and I was like 2 marks off the next grades - think i'm going to apply for it to be remarked!
I'm thinking of retaking year 12 again, as I want ABB for the course I want to do, Business Studies with a year in the industry at Liverpool Uni, and with my AS results there's no way i'd get accepted.
Any advice? I feel reeeeeeeeeeealy bad for redoing it - like i'm missing out but aggggggg
when do remarks have to be sorted?planning getting three papers back and one straight remark,with the view to other remarks on the three other papers
Original post by krishkmistry
when do remarks have to be sorted?planning getting three papers back and one straight remark,with the view to other remarks on the three other papers

you need to get requests for script photocopies in by this Friday ( 23rd august ) - the actual remark deadline is 20th September :smile:
Original post by turnip storm
Well i do apologize as i was only giving an example :s-smilie:
It's because the way some Universities look at it, you took two years doing your AS's, so when you apply in your A2 year, many will be skeptical that you can pass your A2's in just one year with good grades - as A2's are so much harder.
Therefore, you may get amazing grades at AS and continue to receive good grades at A2, but on the other hand, the way the University looks at it, there may be many other applicants who achieved good grades in just two years and not three.
Anyway, i'm not saying all Universities do this, but many will judge you on how many years you take resitting and stuff - my friend was rejected from two of his choices due to resitting his AS's, but they were Russel Group Uni's, so i guess that's understandable?

But anyway, it really does depend on what you want to apply to and where eventually. I agree that retaking the year can help you enormously so it's really your decision. I would, personally, retake the year, given the fact that there are no more January exams, so resitting modules along with your A2's would be extremely difficult and stressful!

No need to apologise. I didn't mean to sound rude at all! I'm just really stressed, and my sixth form has let me go (putting it nicely) so I'll have to start fresh elsewhere. I'm thinking of doing different subjects and just starting fresh because what I was doing didn't really feel right anyway. I'm not applying to any Russell Group Unis... I'll be looking at Oxford Brooked, NTU, Surrey etc... Thanks for you advice, I really appreciate it! x :smile:
Original post by Jkizer
Only if you apply to Oxbridge of somewhere in the 'elite' of RG or medicine/vet it becomes a problem.
Otherwise it doesn't really matter to an extent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help! No way.. I wasn't going for the 'elite' or RG unis anyway so I guess i'll be fine.
Original post by nadzworldz
Oh cool yeah hopefully I will be resitting my A-level and carry on my Btec, are you going to repeat the year at the same college?:smile:

Unfortunately no.. they..erm.. 'set me free' (putting it nicely lol) I'll be starting fresh somewhere else x :smile: you?
I'd say Biology was very harshly marked. In June I thought I'd got an A but got a C.

Overall I was expecting AABE but got ABBC which is alright :smile:
Original post by freyascotty
is anyone in this thread going to retake year 12? I got C and a D (dropped my 3rd AS which I was going to do this year as an A2) and I was like 2 marks off the next grades - think i'm going to apply for it to be remarked!
I'm thinking of retaking year 12 again, as I want ABB for the course I want to do, Business Studies with a year in the industry at Liverpool Uni, and with my AS results there's no way i'd get accepted.
Any advice? I feel reeeeeeeeeeealy bad for redoing it - like i'm missing out but aggggggg

Darling you're not alone. I need AAB-ABB to study my course but I achieved CCD, so yeah..way off! I was 2 marks off a B in one of them, my sixth form has kicked out anyone with a D so like half my year are out and I'm starting somewhere fresh this September. And I think I'll be redoing year 12 with different subjects, because the subjects I picked before weren't really for me. At first I felt really bad that I'm going to have to redo year 12 as other colleges and sixthforms wont be on the same exam board as me but oh well... I still can't come to terms with the fact that I'll have to be with the year below! AAAARGHHHH!!! but it's something I have to do if i want to get into my course and that probably means a deferred entry for 2015. It's better to redo the year, just work harder and remember what happened to u this time around. Uni's make offers based on AS results so it's better just to have a fresh start all over again, at least know we know what a-levels are like! Good luck with everything though...I'm sure we'll be fine! x :smile:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Darling you're not alone. I need AAB-ABB to study my course but I achieved CCD, so yeah..way off! I was 2 marks off a B in one of them, my sixth form has kicked out anyone with a D so like half my year are out and I'm starting somewhere fresh this September. And I think I'll be redoing year 12 with different subjects, because the subjects I picked before weren't really for me. At first I felt really bad that I'm going to have to redo year 12 as other colleges and sixthforms wont be on the same exam board as me but oh well... I still can't come to terms with the fact that I'll have to be with the year below! AAAARGHHHH!!! but it's something I have to do if i want to get into my course and that probably means a deferred entry for 2015. It's better to redo the year, just work harder and remember what happened to u this time around. Uni's make offers based on AS results so it's better just to have a fresh start all over again, at least know we know what a-levels are like! Good luck with everything though...I'm sure we'll be fine! x :smile:

Woah that's so harsh kicking out anyone with a D! I swear if this was a country wide rule then half the country would be looking for a new sixth form. Does that apply even if they got like AAAD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest