The Student Room Group

Thigh gaps.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StringerBell9
No. It has nothing to do with risk.

It has to do with fitness. If a girl is willing to put in time exercising to get the body she wants rather than starving herself.

I didn't have a thigh gap even when I weighed 7.5 stones. It has to do with body shape and hip structure, it's got very little to do with fitness. How many athletes do you see with thigh gaps?!
Reply 41
No. It has nothing to do with risk.

It has to do with fitness. If a girl is willing to put in time exercising to get the body she wants rather than starving herself.

But the issue is there ARE more people starving themselves, overexercising and obsessing over their weight because of unrealistic 'size zero' expectations. For a lot of girls it's frankly unrealistic to be that small and consume a healthy amount of calories. Starving and purging has greater implications on health than lifting, running and eating a ridiculous amount of calories per day, which is what men do.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I didn't have a thigh gap even when I weighed 7.5 stones. It has to do with body shape and hip structure, it's got very little to do with fitness. How many athletes do you see with thigh gaps?!

Hold on, are you talking about the distance between thighs or the curvature of inner thighs to create a gap?

I don't follow athletics but if you look on these facebook groups themed at girls who work out, a dispreportionately large number of them have thigh gaps.
Original post by Ashahedow
But the issue is there ARE more people starving themselves, overexercising and obsessing over their weight because of unrealistic 'size zero' expectations. For a lot of girls it's frankly unrealistic to be that small and consume a healthy amount of calories. Starving and purging has greater implications on health than lifting, running and eating a ridiculous amount of calories per day, which is what men do.

That may be so, but I don't know a single guy who wants girls to be -that- skinny, the majority of guys prefer women to have shape, I have absolutely no idea where girls get these ideas from, or even if these expectations really exist.
Hold on, are you talking about the distance between thighs or the curvature of inner thighs to create a gap?

I don't follow athletics but if you look on these facebook groups themed at girls who work out, a dispreportionately large number of them have thigh gaps.

I'm talking about there being a great big gap between a person's legs, usually either genetic or due to being severely underweight if not genetic. I have a curve in my thighs but the gap is small, nothing like these pictures on tumblr that girls are aiming at.

_4155464.JPG

I'm talking about there being a great big gap between a person's legs, usually either genetic or due to being severely underweight if not genetic. I have a curve in my thighs but the gap is small, nothing like these pictures on tumblr that girls are aiming at.

_4155464.JPG

reef_girls_with_gaps_5-1.jpg
The thigh gaps that some men love are like the ones above, you see the way that at the very top of the thigh, the thighs contour inwards, making that distinctive shape? Thighs can touch at any other point.

I don't know if that's you or not, but those type of legs aren't attractive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
That may be so, but I don't know a single guy who wants girls to be -that- skinny, the majority of guys prefer women to have shape, I have absolutely no idea where girls get these ideas from, or even if these expectations really exist.

You speak like a woman's primary purpose is to cater to men's preferences. The expectations do exist but I admit they are mostly kept between women.
Original post by Ashahedow
You speak like a woman's primary purpose is to cater to men's preferences. The expectations do exist but I admit they are mostly kept between women.

I don't know where you inferred that from and that's 100% conjecture.

They are mostly kept between women, exactly. I have never heard a guy say he wants a girl to be ask skinny as Kate Moss, and only a few times heard guys say they like skinny girls.

reef_girls_with_gaps_5-1.jpg
The thigh gaps that some men love are like the ones above, you see the way that at the very top of the thigh, the thighs contour inwards, making that distinctive shape? Thighs can touch at any other point.

I don't know if that's you or not, but those type of legs aren't attractive.

My gosh that's not me! Haha. If you read my post a few pages back I even said I like the "triangle" gap at the top of a girl's legs. However on these blogs the OP is referring to its the very skinny type of gap that they want to achieve. It's got very little to do with what men want, more to do with trying to look like a model or something... I dunno!
Reply 49

_4155464.JPG

That looks ****ing weird.
Reply 50
I have a thigh gap, always have had one. I have never prided myself on or been embarrassed by it, its just something I have. As well as girls without one being upset because people tell them they should have a thigh gap, its also hurtful for some girls with a natural thigh gap who dont aim to have one reading all these comments saying how horrible they look. I'm not personally offended, but some may be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't even think this was a thing we were supposed to worry about...who cares? My weight's on the lower end of normal for my height and I don't have a thigh gap. Why is it an issue?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jono404
That looks ****ing weird.

I know. It was an example of the extremes that some girls want to achieve. I found that on an Instagram page about thigh gaps.
My gosh that's not me! Haha. If you read my post a few pages back I even said I like the "triangle" gap at the top of a girl's legs. However on these blogs the OP is referring to its the very skinny type of gap that they want to achieve. It's got very little to do with what men want, more to do with trying to look like a model or something... I dunno!

I'm glad it's not you. The most unnattractive thing in my opinion for a girl to do is smother herself in makeup to the point where she looks like a cement encrusted sex doll and starve herself.

I didn't read all the posts, there were a lot, sorry. I guess I'll never understand why girls want to do these things to themselves.
Reply 54
I don't know where you inferred that from and that's 100% conjecture.

They are mostly kept between women, exactly. I have never heard a guy say he wants a girl to be ask skinny as Kate Moss, and only a few times heard guys say they like skinny girls.

It's 'I've never heard guys say...' Once again, we're talking about why some girls destroy themselves to get a thigh gap, not men's preferences.
Reply 55

Yup- definitely more to do with fashion and women on women competitiveness than being attractive to the opposite sex.
Reply 56
Can we try and get back to answering the OP's question please guys :smile:
Reply 57
I have a thigh, calf, basically leg gap when I touch my heels together. It's not as impressive on boys, unfortunately.
I think a lot of (particularly younger) girls don't understand that a lot of models photographs are photoshopped, and there are a surprising amount of girls (on Tumblr especially) photoshopping pictures of themselves. Thigh gaps depend on body shape/hip structure, so some girls will diet like crazy, to an unhealthy weight and NEVER have a thigh gap, and that's the controversy over it!

I don't know about anybody else, but I've never heard a guy say "wow, look at that thigh gap" :P

I guess, explain to your friend this =D It could be unhealthy for her to obsess over it! Health over thigh gaps! :smile:
Wow beauty has gone down to.. THIGH GAPS?

This is so stupid, beauty comes from the inside.. not from a damn space between your legs (literally ****)

Quick Reply

Latest