The Student Room Group

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by es.c
What kind of career can you even expect from Environmental Health? People go to uni to get a job, what job did you have in mind when you chose that course? Seems like you were one of those people who went to uni because everyone else was. Should have spent those three years volunteering/working instead imo

Yeah thats why the other graduates "got" a job in their chosen degree paths yeah.. Another silly 14year old you must be. Here is a link to what environmental health is http://www.rehis.com/environmental-health-officer/what-environmental-health Dont think you read the news on climate change/pollution/public health etc do you?
Reply 101
OP sounds really lazy
OP have you done anything that makes you stand out from every other graduate? work experience? internship? those things are valuable and most companies consider that as experience.

also minimum wage for now is not a bad idea considering you've been unemployed for a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by Cucurbita
OP sounds really lazy

Oh and for the record, my jobs folder on my pc is 32.9mb in size consisting of 298 files! That is mainly word, pdf, and saved applications in webpage/html formats. 33mb just alone in documents is bloody large! This has accumlated since finishing uni June 2012 - its not from before June 2012 going back 10years or something. People like to stick fingers at people and call them all sorts when they dont know the full story. I am one of the 1% of 16-25year olds that is genuinely trying to get a job, not the 99% that abuses the system to claim benefits - I am not even on JSA!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by donutaud15
OP have you done anything that makes you stand out from every other graduate? work experience? internship? those things are valuable and most companies consider that as experience.

also minimum wage for now is not a bad idea considering you've been unemployed for a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, am not just talking about "graduate only" jobs here. Even with all that you mentioned, another candidate with 8years experience in the field is going to get chosen. So a few months experience in some field is dogs muck compared to a candidate that has worked in the sector for "X" years! The sheer volume of applicants who are already in the sector is considerably high and this knocks us graduates far back with or without voluntary/internship experience! This is what am saying which most of you fail to understand...
Reply 105
Original post by Uni=RipOff
Oh and for the record, my jobs folder on my pc is 32.9mb in size consisting of 298 files! That is mainly word, pdf, and saved applications in webpage/html formats. 33mb just alone in documents is bloody large! This has accumlated since finishing uni June 2012 - its not from before June 2012 going back 10years or something. People like to stick fingers at people and call them all sorts when they dont know the full story. I am one of the 1% of 16-25year olds that is genuinely trying to get a job, not the 99% that abuses the system to claim benefits - I am not even on JSA!

You must be doing something seriously wrong. I walked into a £6.50 an hour job even though they know I won't be staying too long. Have you tried the TSR CV helper?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 106
Yeah thats why the other graduates "got" a job in their chosen degree paths yeah.. Another silly 14year old you must be. Here is a link to what environmental health is http://www.rehis.com/environmental-health-officer/what-environmental-health Dont think you read the news on climate change/pollution/public health etc do you?

Wow, okay, let's clarify this for you. I'm a 19 year old studying economics at a top 15 university PLUS I have my own business (subtle slap in the face for your 'lack of time' from Tesco remarks) and also train minimum 5 hours on other things a week. Making a prejudgement, I'm guessing you weren't one of the intelligent ones who realised that pretty much everyone is going university and that you needed to differentiate yourself by getting experience and networking with the right people. As for environmental health, with all due respect to the course, there's a reason only 8 universities offer the programme. And nope. I haven't read the news on that, because there's minimal news on it. Because there's minimal topics on it. Because it's a minimal subject. With minimal employees in that sector.
Mate, am not just talking about "graduate only" jobs here. Even with all that you mentioned, another candidate with 8years experience in the field is going to get chosen. So a few months experience in some field is dogs muck compared to a candidate that has worked in the sector for "X" years! The sheer volume of applicants who are already in the sector is considerably high and this knocks us graduates far back with or without voluntary/internship experience! This is what am saying which most of you fail to understand...

I'm talking about graduate schemes but for other jobs, it's not always the quantity of experience but the quality of work done by someone. even if one has like 10 years worth of experience but another candidate comes in with less time experience wise but has done pretty amazing things during that time, the one with less experience will get the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering what job did you initially think you were going to get? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
Original post by es.c
Wow, okay, let's clarify this for you. I'm a 19 year old studying economics at a top 15 university PLUS I have my own business (subtle slap in the face for your 'lack of time' from Tesco remarks) and also train minimum 5 hours on other things a week. Making a prejudgement, I'm guessing you weren't one of the intelligent ones who realised that pretty much everyone is going university and that you needed to differentiate yourself by getting experience and networking with the right people. As for environmental health, with all due respect to the course, there's a reason only 8 universities offer the programme. And nope. I haven't read the news on that, because there's minimal news on it. Because there's minimal topics on it. Because it's a minimal subject. With minimal employees in that sector.

Economics? Good luck with that. You seem to be also disillusioned by the fact the more unis offer the course the better it is. Think about it, if you got some brains you should have doing economics, law is offered at all unis in the UK - how many law graduates does that equal to EACH year? Tens of thousands if not more (same will be with economics)! Optometry is another limited course, last time I checked it was about 8-10 unis offering it, do you think there is a "reason" (negative), as you are implying, for Optom too? I hope you do know what Optometry is! Heard of climate change, pollution, emissions, the running out of resources for future generations, renewable energy? And for the record pal, it doesnt matter what Uni you go to, no employer looks at the fact "oh he went to a top 15 uni" - they dont give a monkeys about that. That was in the 70s/80s where it was all-Oxford/Cambridge thing. You seem to be lacking basic business acumen if you think going to a top 15 uni is going to help. What you looking to enhance your business by going to a top 15 uni or going to seek work elsewhere where an employer is going to be "chuffed" about your top 15 uni? If certainly the latter your business will be a flop, your pack of lies are lacking basic logic too. End of convo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by donutaud15
I'm talking about graduate schemes but for other jobs, it's not always the quantity of experience but the quality of work done by someone. even if one has like 10 years worth of experience but another candidate comes in with less time experience wise but has done pretty amazing things during that time, the one with less experience will get the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in a milion years mate, never! When I made this topic, I wasnt talking about graduate schemes I meant generally anything. Also those slagging me off saying am the only one, what about the thousands not even on this forum? Hmmm dont worry freshers you shall acquire "wider analytical" skills in years 2 and 3 :P
Reply 111
Economics? Good luck with that. You seem to be also disillusioned by the fact the more unis offer the course the better it is. Think about it, if you got some brains you should have doing economics, law is offered at all unis in the UK - how many law graduates does that equal to EACH year? Tens of thousands if not more (same will be with economics)! Optometry is another limited course, last time I checked it was about 8-10 unis offering it, do you think there is a "reason" (negative), as you are implying, for Optom too? I hope you do know what Optometry is! Heard of climate change, pollution, emissions, the running out of resources for future generations, renewable energy? And for the record pal, it doesnt matter what Uni you go to, no employer looks at the fact "oh he went to a top 15 uni" - they dont give a monkeys about that. That was in the 70s/80s where it was all-Oxford/Cambridge thing. You seem to be lacking basic business acumen if you think going to a top 15 uni is going to help. What you looking to enhance your business by going to a top 15 uni or going to seek work elsewhere where an employer is going to be "chuffed" about your top 15 uni? If certainly the latter your business will be a flop, your pack of lies are lacking basic logic too. End of convo.

The university I am attending is because of my career link, economics leads to investment banking, a highly paid job, and this uni in particular has very good links to the likes of JP Morgan, Deloittes etc (again thinking one step ahead). Also that kind of proves economics, supply and demand of students, there's a big supply of law graduates because there's a big demand. I'm not at uni to improve my business, my business is purely for my own experience, it's a part time thing to stand out to employers. Lies lacking logic? Okaaaay.
Anyway dude, I'm not prepared to be here arguing all day, I have other things. I personally think you made the wrong career choice with what you have. But what my business has taught me is that my generation is a foolish one. We all think we can go from "Alan from down the road" to "Lord Alan Sugar" overnight. Life does not work like that for anyone, it takes time, effort, and a lot of determination. Don't expect to go straight into a 30k job, life's a bîtch, even for self employed. Think of it like a ladder, how do you get to the top without climbing from the bottom? (No jet packs allowed). But seriously, work = money. No work = no money.
Reply 112
2-3hours per day not from laziness but lack of jobs available or applicable to me. This wont apply to me but everyone i.e. you cant apply for an accountants job when you dont have the relevant qualifications. Lessons + quals cost money which I dont have pal. You think money grows on trees as well as the fact of endless availability of jobs....

As for your grammar it is fine. Despite your trying to "further" yourself via various means, you spell "summarises" with a "z" - and dont blame the phones "auto spell" (auto spell is for idiots). And spelling and grammar are 2 different things. Am not being personal on you but I have realised that many people on here are under the age of 16 and talk out of their backsides unfortunately thinking the world is all happy with everything easy (i.e. tons of jobs like you imply).

1. You yourself said working 2-3 on a computer/day can be tiring. I never implied anything on the no. of jobs available, although I do believe that there are in major cities across the country (not implying you live in a city, just saying).

2. If you don't limit your job search (ie. I'm too good to be a cleaner - extreme example here I know, but you get the point), then you'll realize more jobs are actually available around you.

3. I don't know what you're talking about but actually...you don't need any relevant qualifications to apply for accountant jobs at an entry/graduate level.

4. In my previous post, I wasn't saying you should further yourself with lessons + other qualifications. Instead, I was trying to say that lots of people work longer hours than what you've mentioned, got lots of non-work commitments to do after work, yet they're managing - using myself as an example (sorry if it wasn't clear). As such, you should not give yourself excuses to not do certain jobs just because you think you'll be /tired/ afterwards.

5. "Summarize" is not wrong and it's absolutely pointless being so picky about it.
6. I don't think money grows on trees, I work for my money and since I have lots of spare cash, I splash some on professional qualifications on top of those that are already sponsored by my company.

7. Based purely on the how many posts you've made yesterday, you would've made better use of your time improving your CV/cover letter templates/interview skills etc instead of qq-ing on TSR for the whole day.

Regarding some of your other posts:

8. Having a large folder containing all your applications doesn't mean ****, especially when loads of it is just copy and paste of the job description LOL. If you've applied to many jobs and received little success, you're most likely doing it wrong/ineffectively. Once again, rather than qq-ing here, you should look into and fix areas that you lack.

9. Universities do matter. Perhaps your life experience so far has been quite limited, but once you find and start working, you'll notice that on average, there is a very large capabilities discrepancies between those who recently (ie within 10 years) graduated from top universities compared to those who recently graduated from lower tier ones.

Anyways, you don't need to reply to this post if you don't want to, I'm unlikely to reply coz I'm not here to argue, got more important things to do.
Reply 113
Clearly something wrong with you OP if you are applying to dozens of jobs and aren't getting them. I know how you feel as I am doing the same, but you have to keep trying, keep going to different fields and if you are unemployed try harder to get temp work or even volunteering somewhere, soon because everyone who looks at your CV is going to ask what you were doing for a year. Would't worry about numbers applying for jobs either, if you are the right candidate you will get it
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by Sigma44

5. "Summarize" is not wrong and it's absolutely pointless being so picky about it.

8. Having a large folder containing all your applications doesn't mean ****, especially when loads of it is just copy and paste of the job description LOL. If you've applied to many jobs and received little success, you're most likely doing it wrong/ineffectively. Once again, rather than qq-ing here, you should look into and fix areas that you lack.

9. Universities do matter. Perhaps your life experience so far has been quite limited, but once you find and start working, you'll notice that on average, there is a very large capabilities discrepancies between those who recently (ie within 10 years) graduated from top universities compared to those who recently graduated from lower tier ones.

Spelling does matter it shows you dont know the difference between US and UK spelling - if you think it doesnt matter then there is something wrong up there. No employer would want someone who doesnt understand basic literacy.

Copy and paste of the job description? Again mouthing off without knowing the facts. If you think I am doing something wrong in oppose to the fact that there are countless people applying to jobs then again something is wrong up there. One of the phone interviews I had with a company said "We normally dont do phone interviews but we had 141 applications for this role and therefore have amended the process to eliminate at phone interviews" - if you think 141 individuals for 1 job is pretty normal - again shows your lacking basic common sense.

You might be talking about unis matter for graduate programmes but they dont matter for normal jobs. Someone who has studied the approved 5 year medical course at a lower uni will be in the same position as someone who studied it at a top 10 uni, as the course is approved by BMA and/or medical associations.
(edited 10 years ago)

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

There is nothing wrong with not wanting a minimum wage job but you say in the other paragraph that you can't get a job because you don't have experience.

It looks much worse if on your CV it shows you've been unemployed for a year than if it shows you've been working for a year.

It's like buying a car, if you see an advert on Gumtree that looks great but has been up for 2 months you're going to think 'Hmm why hasn't it sold yet, there must be something wrong with it'. If an employer sees a years unemployment for no reason other than 'Couldn't get a job' they will be thinking if this guy is as good as his application why has no one employed him?

I know that doing an underpaid repetitive job is not what you want, but if you're not willing to do it then why should you get a good job? Just because you've been to Uni doesn't mean you're special, it means you know a lot but can't do a lot. You need to show employers that you're happy to do rubbish jobs as you know it will help you get a good job.

Or, you know, you could just sit around applying for every job you find in the hope someone might employ you. Some people get lucky that way, but for others you have to work for it.

(BTW I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if you've got a job now or anything :wink: )

If you believe it's all so hopeless and impossible, why even bother? You have two decisions. Accept the situation as unfair and difficult as it is and stop complaining and be content with your lot in life. Or you can change your attitude and fight against the odds to succeed, whatever that may take. If you need to do applications after your 9 hour shift then so be it. If you have to relocate/commute then do it. Otherwise you will forever be a slave to circumstances.
(edited 10 years ago)
Which Uni did you go to, out of interest?
Reply 118
I have mentioned several times, there are no gaps, I am self employed in the property field, the self employed side has got me to interviews etc as my knowledge within housing/property is ace as well as experience. What I am frustrated about is the lack of jobs and the very high number of applicants per bloody job - 141:1! And for the record I have not menitoned that I am not willing to relocate. I have tried abroad and in the UK. Restricting yourself to a particular area is ridiculous, as majority of the jobs are down south in and around the capital.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello all, time for a rant :angry: !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

What class was your degree? Which uni did you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending