The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When it comes to friendship, I look for personality, not looks. But I cannot lie, when in relationship terms, I go for looks before personality. Obviously if the personality ain't good then it's goodbye.. but hey that's just my opinion.
Reply 2
To strip attraction don to essentials,i.e when you first meet someone,yes looks will matter,that is the initial decider as to whether you want to be friends or could consider something more. Money and status are more complex and vary in importance from individual to individual. Personality does matter as no one bar some masochists and truly shallow people want to be with someone who has a horrible personality. It may not be the initial priority in dating but certainly comes to the fore along with other aforementioned factors soon enough.

Your last point regarding average female being more attractive to the opposite sex than the average male is confusing. Care to elaborate?
OP is male
Reply 4
Put it this way

Looks are the first chapter

but no book exists without a first chapter

So looks start it off and personality keeps it going.

Or atleast that's what women like to think (you get the odd "omg personality > everythin"
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks.Now, I can give up hope and concentrate on my studies.:smile:
This is getting old.
Reply 7
For initial attraction as in across the room/along the bar. As soon as an interaction is made personality, or at least persona, trumps all.

Note that money and status to some extent form a part of "persona".
Reply 8
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
This is getting old.

This x100. It's getting seriously boring reading these psuedo-psychology theories.

The abundance of these kind of threads is pushing me close to just leaving TSR since there's hardly any real discussion anymore.
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree :rolleyes:
Original post by TonksLupin
Your last point regarding average female being more attractive to the opposite sex than the average male is confusing. Care to elaborate?

Very attractive, now her male equivalent:

Very unattractive.
Bull****.
Original post by james1211
This x100. It's getting seriously boring reading these psuedo-psychology theories.

The abundance of these kind of threads is pushing me close to just leaving TSR since there's hardly any real discussion anymore.

Tell me about it. Too many threads by people complaining about not getting laid and guys hating women because they're single and bitter. It's starting to get booooring.
Original post by james1211

It's a very pressing issue imo. I personally would not be attracted to my male equivalent...
Everyone knows this
Reply 16
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Tell me about it. Too many threads by people complaining about not getting laid and guys hating women because they're single and bitter. It's starting to get booooring.

I used to use the "latest discussions" and "popular" module to read threads but now it's impossible to find one that isn't a frustrated virgin or idiot with some ground-breaking societal theorem.

I'm sure when I joined here in 2010 the discussions were of much better quality and actually interesting and i don't think that's rose tinted spectacles speaking.

Original post by isabelle york
It's a very pressing issue imo. I personally would not be attracted to my male equivalent...

But you're not dating yourself so why does that matter?
I think, although looks come into it, there's one main thing that attracts if you've just met someone: confidence, confidence, confidence.
I also would say that what we judge as looks is affected a lot by what people wear and their hairstyle, which are choices so this is less superficial than it sounds.
I also think no one would be attracted to someone they found boring/ had views they profoundly disagreed with, despite looks or anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm...

If we assume this is 100% true, then the human race is going to cease to exist in a few generations.

Men will spend all day on the internet ****ing over basically better looking women as their entire lives waste away before them, causing them to think they're above anyone who doesn't meet the unreasonable standards put upon them.

Women will fawn over problem pages, celebrity mags, and reality television, slowly becoming submerged into believing they are better than they actually are, causing them to think they're above anyone who doesn't meet the unreasonable standards put upon them.

Oh wait.
Personality is part of 'looks'. Looks are part of personality. Status is part of personality, whatever exactly 'status' means.

Personally I like confidence, humour and intelligence in a man, plus he shouldn't look like the cat just dragged him in and it helps if he has clean hair, teeth and fingernails. Oh and definitely not bad breath or a drinking habit.

Latest

Trending

Trending