The Student Room Group

Guys: Do you ever notice how non-Western women treat you so much better?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
No, and you shouldn't put up with sexism, I agree, but lets put this into perspective.

Stoning women in for adultery is a far more significant issue than page 3.

Why is it then, that feminists choose to focus on page 3 http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/i/36117/ rather than this http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/06/watch-as-self-described-normal-muslims-show-support-for-stoning-adulterers-and-other-punishment-described-in-the-koran/

Where the **** is the 100 000 petition? Nowhere. Pathetic, and it really pisses me off and makes me angry.

Why does campaigning for page 3 mean they can't campaign for stoning too?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why does campaigning for page 3 mean they can't campaign for stoning too?

Where is the petition? Show me
Where is the petition? Show me

Not for that specific issue but

http://forcechange.com/2991/end-fatal-and-oppressive-child-marriage-in-yemen/

People are campaigning to help people
Original post by Sheldor
I don't belong to any feminist societies currently. (I'm still in secondary school, I just live near a university.) I donate to charity and have done some amnesty international stuff though.

Well, look at it this way, for example (note that this is an analogy and not a comparison!)- you have a group of students who like football and start a society to raise money for the local club. The university is Engineering based, so they have less girls, but they hand out leaflets to girls and encourage girls to join. Despite this, not many girls join, partly because there are less of them, and partly because less of them are interested in the club. Some of the girls have relatives who work for the club and the club is important for the local economy, but many don't realise this importance and don't join the society because they see no need to actively change things for the club due to the culture surrounding football they've grown up with.

This is the same for many ethnic minorities who may not join feminist societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well feminist societies need to do something about it then.
Reply 164
Original post by vendettax
I swear Polish, Russian, Chinese, South-East Asian etc women treat men so much better.

And white guys, do you ever notice how non-white women treat us much better? My black male friends also said non-black women treat them way better than black women do.

I swear middle-class white women actively despise white men. I've never heard a black or Asian woman complaining about "white, cisgender, hetero white male privilege", it's always white women. Yet white men are the ones who let their women create feminism and express it, they also are least likely to rape (compare European rape figures to Africa and Asia). You just can't win with them.

I think I'm going to get married to an East Asian, or mixed race female as they treat me 100x better.

Men only, express your experiences.

If I achieve this, I've won at life
Not for that specific issue but

http://forcechange.com/2991/end-fatal-and-oppressive-child-marriage-in-yemen/

People are campaigning to help people

Do you see? Can you not see? Where is the coverage? Nowhere, you don't care, western feminists do not give a ****. How many have signed the page 3 compared to petitions such as this? Where is the publication? Why aren't western feminist societies not pushing this? Oooo Blurred lines, yeah lets focus on him, but **** the people in Saudi Arabia/ Yemen.

Not for that specific issue - PRECISELY

I've been saying this for years!
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you see? Can you not see? Where is the coverage? Nowhere, you don't care, western feminists do not give a ****. How many have signed the page 3 compared to petitions such as this? Where is the publication? Why aren't western feminist societies not pushing this? Oooo Blurred lines, yeah lets focus on him, but **** the people in Saudi Arabia/ Yemen.

This is so true. Maybe I'm just sheltered but I've seen very few feminists campaigning about the sexism Eastern women face, despite it being horrendous. Perhaps the movement would be more strongly supported if the focus was shifted to those sorts of issues. Having said that, it's much easier to tackle the minute issues in this country than those in the East...
Original post by yepyepyep
This is so true. Maybe I'm just sheltered but I've seen very few feminists campaigning about the sexism Eastern women face, despite it being horrendous. Perhaps the movement would be more strongly supported if the focus was shifted to those sorts of issues. Having said that, it's much easier to tackle the minute issues in this country than those in the East...

Precisely, and when I try and point this out, that western feminists have relatively little to complain about when compared to the wider issues, I get attacked and labelled a misogynist. "Oh women in Britain still have problems, we can fight 50 battles at once you know, just because there is problems there doesn't mean there is problems here"

I'm not saying you can't! That is what they don't understand. I'm saying some issues deserve greater focus than bloody page 3! Or that only 45% of Execs are women or whatever... How is that even remotely significant compared to women being KILLED? What should be the greater focus?

I'm loving the awkward silence now from some of the main feminists on this site, finally the realization is dawning on them? I hope so.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well feminist societies need to do something about it then.

What would you have them do? We can't exactly force ethnic minority girls into joining a club.

Precisely, and when I try and point this out, that western feminists have relatively little to complain about when compared to the wider issues, I get attacked and labelled a misogynist. "Oh women in Britain still have problems, we can fight 50 battles at once you know, just because there is problems there doesn't mean there is problems here"

I'm not saying you can't! That is what they don't understand. I'm saying some issues deserve greater focus than bloody page 3! Or that only 45% of Execs are women or whatever... How is that even remotely significant compared to women being KILLED? What should be the greater focus?

I'm loving the awkward silence now from some of the main feminists on this site, finally the realization is dawning on them? I hope so.

How do you know that there aren't feminists campaigning for these causes, just not under the feminist banner?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169

maybe it is because the government in Iran isn't going to give a **** about British women protesting, but the government over here will?

by your logic nobody should protest any cause in Britain because there are foreign issues that are more serious. why protest against something our government does when North Korea is going to be worse? do the NSPCC not care about children suffering abroad just because they focus on the UK?

people show more support for domestic issues than foreign ones. people from every cause do it, and it doesn't make feminists hypocritical.
Original post by lucaf
maybe it is because the government in Iran isn't going to give a **** about British women protesting, but the government over here will?

by your logic nobody should protest any cause in Britain because there are foreign issues that are more serious. why protest against something our government does when North Korea is going to be worse? do the NSPCC not care about children suffering abroad just because they focus on the UK?

people show more support for domestic issues than foreign ones. people from every cause do it, and it doesn't make feminists hypocritical.

Thank you. I got sick of replying to him but you explain it brilliantly. Excellent post.

I've got to say I agree. If you are a white, middle class woman then worrying about page 3 models or music videos may be a prime concern but for other people, including women from other backgrounds, there are much more pressing matters to preoccupy oneself with.
I'm guilty of this. I treat white men better than I treat black men. I don't know why though.
Reply 173
this isnt true im sure there are plently of people of both races
Original post by lucaf

They will if they protest, force our government to cut all ties with them, all trade etc etc.

You don't know anything about my logic, so I would revise your views. You have completely misunderstand my post, I have said nothing of the sorts.
Thank you. I got sick of replying to him but you explain it brilliantly. Excellent post.

Does he balls, you misunderstand completely.
Reply 176
They will if they protest, force our government to cut all ties with them, all trade etc etc.

You don't know anything about my logic, so I would revise your views. You have completely misunderstand my post, I have said nothing of the sorts.

so feminists are hypocritical until they attempt to force the government to sever ties with every country where women are oppressed? right.

in what way have I misunderstood your post? you say feminists are hypocritical for protesting more about comparably petty domestic issues rather than the more serious issues faced by women abroad. how is that any different to, calling human rights activists hypocritical for protesting the actions of our government when foreign governments are committing far worse abuses that they are not protesting?

I think this is a better example: gay rights activists are not taking to the street in Britain to protest Russia's new anti gay laws. now imagine if those same laws were enacted here. are gay rights activists hypocrites? do they not care about Russian gays, who unarguably have it worse? how can they even think of arguing for gay marriage here where in other countries homosexuality is still a criminal offense?

as people have already said, just because the rest of the world has it worse doesn't mean we can't still focus on our problems.
Original post by lucaf
so feminists are hypocritical until they attempt to force the government to sever ties with every country where women are oppressed? right.

in what way have I misunderstood your post? you say feminists are hypocritical for protesting more about comparably petty domestic issues rather than the more serious issues faced by women abroad. how is that any different to, calling human rights activists hypocritical for protesting the actions of our government when foreign governments are committing far worse abuses that they are not protesting?

I think this is a better example: gay rights activists are not taking to the street in Britain to protest Russia's new anti gay laws. now imagine if those same laws were enacted here. are gay rights activists hypocrites? do they not care about Russian gays, who unarguably have it worse? how can they even think of arguing for gay marriage here where in other countries homosexuality is still a criminal offense?

as people have already said, just because the rest of the world has it worse doesn't mean we can't still focus on our problems.

No I was pointing out that they are usually louder when protesting out of their own selfish interests, rather than international women's issues.

I am not saying they should not protest about British issues, even if they are petty and I don't necessarily agree with them. However, they should take significance into context. But, as you are an apologist for sexism, racism and feminism as a whole, I don't think you will understand that.
Reply 178
No I was pointing out that they are usually louder when protesting out of their own selfish interests, rather than international women's issues.

I am not saying they should not protest about British issues, even if they are petty and I don't necessarily agree with them. However, they should take significance into context. But, as you are an apologist for sexism, racism and feminism as a whole, I don't think you will understand that.

well once again, aren't activists of all causes? gay rights activists here are certainly more vocal about legalizing gay marriage in Britain than they are of stopping homosexuality being punishable by death in Uganda. yes it is selfish, but it is the kind of selfishness every cause shares.

and how the **** am I an apologist for sexism or racism? I can see how you could say feminism seeing as I am defending it in this thread (although I often argue against it in others) but sexism and racism?
Original post by lucaf
well once again, aren't activists of all causes? gay rights activists here are certainly more vocal about legalizing gay marriage in Britain than they are of stopping homosexuality being punishable by death in Uganda. yes it is selfish, but it is the kind of selfishness every cause shares.

and how the **** am I an apologist for sexism or racism? I can see how you could say feminism seeing as I am defending it in this thread (although I often argue against it in others) but sexism and racism?

No not really, I'm an activist for freedom and equality, and I take it to the extreme. Although I know we don't have equality in Britain, I think that wider issues are important. That is why I joined the army (TA as a student, transfer to full time officer in the Royal Marines after I've done a masters), so I can fight for freedom worldwide; kill and die if necessary. I don't do it out of selfish interests, I believe building schools for children in Afghanistan and liberating their oppressed women (and men) is far more important than protesting about rising wealth inequality. (even though the poorest in Britain are not even poor by worldwide standards)

As I have pointed out earlier, Feminism in many university societies are institutionally racist.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest