The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Guys with the offers from Exeter, what was the interview like? Did they ask maths/physics questions? Any further reading and if so, did they ask questions about the book?
Original post by shacklebolt
Guys with the offers from Exeter, what was the interview like? Did they ask maths/physics questions? Any further reading and if so, did they ask questions about the book?

Really short, asked for a couple of formulae and discussed some physics principles. Asked me a couple of questions about what I'd wrote on my personal statement, and asked some deep/awkward questions like 'what is matter' and 'how does maths relate to physics'.

Nothing to worry about though I imagine they give offers to most people with interviews.
Original post by scottylar
Really short, asked for a couple of formulae and discussed some physics principles. Asked me a couple of questions about what I'd wrote on my personal statement, and asked some deep/awkward questions like 'what is matter' and 'how does maths relate to physics'.

Nothing to worry about though I imagine they give offers to most people with interviews.

Thanks Scott, got mine 7th December. What was everyone wearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard anything from Oxford today?
Reply 1304
Original post by theshinnbin
Anyone heard anything from Oxford today?

Not yet, have you?
Original post by PsiWave
Not yet, have you?

No, nothing yet. Hoping we'll hear soon. Been refreshing my email all day like I'm crazy... which college are you applying to?
Original post by we1shcake
Offer from Nottingham :smile: A*AA or A*A*B

Hey, congrats!
Was that for a masters in physics?
YAY!
Who else just got their Oxford rejection? :P

(Hell, I messed up the graph of y=e^-x in the PAT; I'd have rejected me for that!)

At least the pressure's off, and now I don't need to worry about interviews :P

Good luck everyone else :P
Original post by Bassface
YAY!

(Hell, I messed up the graph of y=e^-x in the PAT; I'd have rejected me for that!)

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the rest of your application though.

Which college was this for if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shacklebolt
Thanks Scott, got mine 7th December. What was everyone wearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck :smile: I wore a shirt and tie but there was a mix of what people were wearing! I'd say something smart is the best way to go but you don't have to go to town with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alwayslast
Sorry to hear that, good luck with the rest of your application though.

Which college was this for if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Hertford
Reply 1311
YAY!

I just got rejected from Oxford as well. (I was rejected from Lincoln College). I'm not so surprised either, while I was fairly confident with what I answered, being quite slow meant I didn't get to do the last long question which was probably enough to knock me below the threshold.

Did you have your heart set on Oxford? I didn't. For the past couple years, I've been saying no to people asking me if I was going to go to Oxbridge for many reasons. In the end, I couldn't think of a better 5th option (as I already had a top, two mid, and an insurance choice) so I applied thinking that if everything went well maybe I changed my mind. But I'm still fairly certain I didn't want to go there, so I'm not that annoyed about it. (I was more interested in the whole application process and wanted to see what interviews were like there - so it's a little disappointing to not be able to find out myself).

Hope you've got another University you really like.
Reply 1312
YAY!

Did they inform you by email?

No, nothing yet. Hoping we'll hear soon. Been refreshing my email all day like I'm crazy... which college are you applying to?

To Balliol.
(edited 10 years ago)
At 2 pm today i got my interview invitation at jesus college oxford. And got it via email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, congrats!
Was that for a masters in physics?

Yeah :smile:
I think that's partially why I didn't do so well.
I only decided that I wanted to even apply to Oxford in late September. I didn't have my heart set on it, and I agree, it was more about the process.
I would have hated myself if I didn't even attempt something that I'd only ever get one chance at.

And also, I've just been looking more detail into the course, and there's a much higher proportion of exams than everywhere else (I think I prefer coursework), so I'm not that disappointed. (Not to mention all the other stuff I'd basically have to give up due to the crazy Oxford workload! :P)

And yeah, I love Bath, and I've got an offer from them. I have an interview at Bristol, and I'm currently deciding on Leeds and Birmingham, as the other two.

Where else are you applying? And good luck!
For people who've had interviews/rejections from Oxford, what sort of time did you get the email?
For people who've had interviews/rejections from Oxford, what sort of time did you get the email?

I got my email at 16:46
Reply 1318
Has anybody heard back from Imperial yet?
I'm very paranoid about Imperial because I completely screwed up my interview. SO ANXIOUS. :frown:
Reply 1319
Original post by xsindy
Has anybody heard back from Imperial yet?
I'm very paranoid about Imperial because I completely screwed up my interview. SO ANXIOUS. :frown:

I was interviewed on the 30th October and got an offer. I made mistakes in all the maths questions but still got in so don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending