The Student Room Group

Which is the better link to a graduate Medicine MBBS degree?

For my Undergraduate degree I'll either be taking a Bsc degree in Biomedicine or a degree in Paramedic Science (for complicated reasons I can't get directly into Undergrad Medicine, namely screwing up the most important subject in my final exams).

I would love either of these degrees, and having read the overviews and reviews I can tell they would each be fascinating, but looking in the long term, I still want to become a doctor, or more precisely, a surgeon (yesyes, very humble of me, I know).
Which would be more beneficial in the long run?

Please no nasty comments, I know that obviously the best thing to do would've been to not mess up my final score, but I'm doing the best with the options I have (any other suggestions are very welcome :smile:)
Thanks!
Original post by Ace O' Spades
For my Undergraduate degree I'll either be taking a Bsc degree in Biomedicine or a degree in Paramedic Science (for complicated reasons I can't get directly into Undergrad Medicine, namely screwing up the most important subject in my final exams).

I would love either of these degrees, and having read the overviews and reviews I can tell they would each be fascinating, but looking in the long term, I still want to become a doctor, or more precisely, a surgeon (yesyes, very humble of me, I know).
Which would be more beneficial in the long run?

Please no nasty comments, I know that obviously the best thing to do would've been to not mess up my final score, but I'm doing the best with the options I have (any other suggestions are very welcome :smile:)
Thanks!

Happy to help - assuming paramedical science will enable you to qualify as a paramedic?
Reply 2
Yes, it qualifies you as a paramedic :P
Yes, it qualifies you as a paramedic :P

if you don't quote me, I don't know you have replied!

It depends on you - whether you feel you would prefer a practical (paramedical) or theoretical (biomed).

The latter would stand you in better stead for the first couple of years of medicine but I would learn towards the first!

Being a paramedic would be amazing - hardwork! - but amazing!
Reply 4
Original post by DoctorInTraining

It depends on you - whether you feel you would prefer a practical (paramedical) or theoretical (biomed).

I'm definitely more for the practical side of things, so I agree with you here. I also thought that it might serve as a source of income for during my graduate degree if I could work as a paramedic :P

The only other option I found apart from those two was genetics, could that be a possible third option?
Yes potentially

But if practical skills is your thing than I think paramedical might suit you more!

plus you're right about the income thing! Med School is expensive and I'm not sure you would qualify for student loans if its your second degree.

I'm definitely more for the practical side of things, so I agree with you here. I also thought that it might serve as a source of income for during my graduate degree if I could work as a paramedic :P

The only other option I found apart from those two was genetics, could that be a possible third option?
Reply 6
Yes potentially

But if practical skills is your thing than I think paramedical might suit you more!

plus you're right about the income thing! Med School is expensive and I'm not sure you would qualify for student loans if its your second degree.

Yes okay, thanks for all your advice!! :biggrin:
Yes potentially

The funding is under continual review. Right now you can get loans for a lot of the graduate programme (next to no help for 5 year courses) but you will need to find about 3k up front for what SFE and NHS won't fund in first year. In which case doing a professionally accredited course with earning potential might be wise.

Some degrees run with the NHS are quite well funded like physiotherapy, nursing, midwifery etc. Biomedical science will not draw extra funding, you will have 27k debt in fees plus maintenance loans. It doesn't affect you til you're a high earner but it might help you make a decision.

Possibly none of this will be relevant in 3 or 4 years when Ace O' Spades will be making their application to med school...
Original post by Quilverine
The funding is under continual review. Right now you can get loans for a lot of the graduate programme (next to no help for 5 year courses) but you will need to find about 3k up front for what SFE and NHS won't fund in first year. In which case doing a professionally accredited course with earning potential might be wise.

Some degrees run with the NHS are quite well funded like physiotherapy, nursing, midwifery etc. Biomedical science will not draw extra funding, you will have 27k debt in fees plus maintenance loans. It doesn't affect you til you're a high earner but it might help you make a decision.

Possibly none of this will be relevant in 3 or 4 years when Ace O' Spades will be making their application to med school...

I know its different if you are a graduate - just wasn't sure how :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending