The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
A 2plate squat is 100kg. Good going though.

Pauses when you're about to fail are fun. Dat fear of death feeling when you think you may well be stuck at the bottom, really gets the juices flowing! :colone:

I don't record the bar weight, due to me not doing it when I was a gym noob (well more of a noob), so it's 80kg + bar. So it's a 100kg squat :smile: I might start recording, including bar weight to avoid confusion :tongue:

And yes, nothing quite the pain of death (there's no fail rails) to get the heart racing
Original post by Angry cucumber
I don't record the bar weight, due to me not doing it when I was a gym noob (well more of a noob), so it's 80kg + bar. So it's a 100kg squat :smile: I might start recording, including bar weight to avoid confusion :tongue:

And yes, nothing quite the pain of death (there's no fail rails) to get the heart racing

There's always one who has to be different...

**** convention, fight the power!
Just some light training

I've changed the way I'm recording for scoobie :tongue:

Squats 1 x 5 70kg
1 x 5 80kg
90kg 1 x 3
100kg 1 x 3
105 1 x 1

Just trying to get depth and improve my hand position on the bar

3 sets of:
Ab rollouts
Hanging leg raises
Leg lifts on decline bench

Farmers walk 37.5kg DBs 3 sets of my usual distance which is apparently 30-35m
Heavy as hell

Calf raises 182.5 2 x 10
1 x 15
(edited 10 years ago)
And today I squatted again

70kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 5
90kg 1 x 3
100kg 3 x 5
1 x 1

Wasn't happy with last rep so I repeated it after 30 secs
My arse hurts after 3 days of squatting and my legs were shaking :tongue:

Deadlift 1 x 5 50kg
1 x 5 60kg
1 x 5 80kg
1 x 3 110kg
1 x 5 135kg
Easy.... making bigger progress than I thought :tongue:

Bench 20kg DBs 1 x 8
35kg DBs 1 x 3
1 x 4
**** knows what was happening - got annoyed, which focused me better
3 x 5 Had to grind the last rep but probs could have had 6
Your squats seem much more impressive now you include the bar weight haha
Chin ups 1x6
1x7
1x8
Delighted with that

Inverted rows 1x8
1 x 10
1 x 8

OHP 1 x 5 20kg
1 x 5 30kg
1 x 3 40kg
1 x 4 47.5kg
3 x 5 45kg

Cable rows 1 x 8 12.5
2 x 8 13

Legs are far too sore to squat after 3 days straight of it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Played 2 days of frisbee at the weekend in a tournament

I'm now ill, taking a few days off to try and recover
Due to having a 2 old injuries; torn back muscle and damaged lateral collateral ankle ligament both linked to having lain in a hospital bed for two years, due to my illness in my late teens. My squat form is poor, hitting parallel depth is a rarity if ever (probs should record a video) any way, my hips and lower back are shockingly inflexible.

Been doing 3rd world squats and a bit of stretching recently, to not much avail, my hip flexors were agony when squatting last week and no decernable improvement in flexibility, largely as my stretching was half arsed.

Last 4 days, been doing 4 or 5 yoga movements, each held for 30 secs with increasing tension, done once or twice a day, to improve my flexibility + third world squats.

It's a whole world of pain, but flexibility is improving already, can get closer to parallel than ever before! Hopefully one day I will have decent depth all the time!
Closest gym to me is a David Lloyd centre. £20 a session if you're not a member :eek: :eek: :eek:

However they're doing a 12 days of Xmas for like £15 so I signed up to that and no more!

Still got a cough so thought I'd take it light

Squats 1 x 5 20kg
1 x 5 70kg
1 x 5 80kg
3 x 5 90kg

OHP 1 x 5 20kg
1 x 5 40kg
2 x 5 45kg
Then forgot I was meant to be going easy
2 x 3 50kg

Bench 1 x 5 18kg DBs
1 x 5 32kg DBs
1 x 3 36kg DBs Shoulders just couldnt deal with it

Pull ups 3 x 5
1 x 3

Some quick hanging leg raises to finish

How people treat this gym is ****ing shambolic
Plates all over the place, DB's not in the right place. 2 guys were on the leg press machine, did 6 working sets each and left the 250kg on the machine for the guy who was working the floor to put it all back.

Bit of a weird gym, plates are small,. Asked whether it is possible to deadlift, apparently I am allowed despite their being no real area to do it. So I'm not sure what to do, I'll probs set up in the middle of the 2 bench stations and the incline bench station and the 3 free benches (yes there is that many benches.)
that gym sounds horrible. wtf 20 quid a session?! what's so special about it?
Original post by AreebWithaHat
that gym sounds horrible. wtf 20 quid a session?! what's so special about it?

I have no idea. There's a pool I guess.....
There wasn't even that much weight either - for all the equipment there.... all the machines required plates, if the gym was remotely busy there wouldnt be enough weight.

But yeh, I'm only going until the 31st when my membership runs out after that I'll find a different gym, I think a gym where it's not actually possible to do a medium - narrow grip chin up in, let alone a proper deadlift is not worth my time tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Are you still in Nottingham, or back home?

Out of curioisuty, which gym were you at before David Lloyd?

I've heard David Lloyds are ridiculously EXPENSIVE, I've heard it can be like £40-70 a month....

*In with shameless bragging about own gym*
I pay £12.50 a month (I paid £50 upfront for 4 months) - Dumbbells go up to 53kg and 20kg plates as far as the eye can see. It's bliss, makes me bliss everywhere!
If it makes scoobie moist, it sounds like a good gym
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Are you still in Nottingham, or back home?

Out of curioisuty, which gym were you at before David Lloyd?

I've heard David Lloyds are ridiculously EXPENSIVE, I've heard it can be like £40-70 a month....

*In with shameless bragging about own gym*
I pay £12.50 a month (I paid £50 upfront for 4 months) - Dumbbells go up to 53kg and 20kg plates as far as the eye can see. It's bliss, makes me bliss everywhere!

Back home, it's safe to say once the 1st comes around, I won't be using David Lloyd again :lol:

At uni, I live out at Sutton Bonington and use the gym there, but it's small and getting onto the one proper barbell is interesting at times, it's fine for the most part as I know most of the regulars so I can work in.

I've heard good things about Formula One, I might make my way into Nottingham and try out Formula one at some stage, depends on work load more than anything. Prices are ridiculously reasonable!
Back home, it's safe to say once the 1st comes around, I won't be using David Lloyd again :lol:

At uni, I live out at Sutton Bonington and use the gym there, but it's small and getting onto the one proper barbell is interesting at times, it's fine for the most part as I know most of the regulars so I can work in.

I've heard good things about Formula One, I might make my way into Nottingham and try out Formula one at some stage, depends on work load more than anything. Prices are ridiculously reasonable!

Ah, that's a bit of a trek into Nottingham. It would definitely motivate you to **** **** up in the gym though, awful long way to go for a mediocre session!

Price wise, agreed. It helps that it isn't commercial/they don't have massive overheads, there's only a handful of staff and they do everything themselves. The gym owner has been repainting everything himself the past week, fair play! It's no thrills, all the money goes on equipment/plates, rather than the current trend which seems to be to spend all the money on HD TVs for the wall and running machines with TVs built in etc...
Today I visited Johnny Bravo's tribe. International chest day is most certainly a thing... and they've got ****ing tiny legs

Squats 20kg 1 x 5
70kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 3
90kg 1 x 1
95kg 1 x 1
97.5 2 x 5
1 x 2f Messed up on breathing, I exhaled going down, which meant I had no tension in my back and I just flopped :facepalm:
Reracked it
1 x 3

It was easy enough, just messed up

****ing stupid deadlift
70kg 1 x 5
100kg 1 x 3
110kg 1 x 1
140kg 1 x f
120kg 1 x 5
Weight was easy, getting it up of the floor was not, due to the plates being so ****ing small that to get to the bar, I had to squat, really low, making pulling anything remotely heavy difficult, due to incorrect starting position
Couldnt set them up on plates either, because the 25kg plates aren't big enough to support more than one plate without rocking as they aren't flat :facepalm:

Infuriating, that 140kg would have some off the floor I reckon no real problems if I could actually get at the bar

Bench 20kg DBs 1 x 8
32kg 1 x 3
36kg 1 x 3
1 x 4
1 x 3
Poor, not eating enough probs as I'm still feeling this cold and cough
32kg DBs 3 x 5
Getting some volume in at least

Thank god I'm not going to this regularily

Oh and new hate - guys screaming for lolz... 2 big guys, looking like clouds messing around with flys and literally screaming making the other one laugh from the first rep onwards, then hurling the dumbbell at the floor.

Oh and a guy was doing belted squats in the smith machine rather than using the bar bell once I'd finished with it
Today I visited Johnny Bravo's tribe. International chest day is most certainly a thing... and they've got ****ing tiny legs

Squats 20kg 1 x 5
70kg 1 x 5
80kg 1 x 3
90kg 1 x 1
95kg 1 x 1
97.5 2 x 5
1 x 2f Messed up on breathing, I exhaled going down, which meant I had no tension in my back and I just flopped :facepalm:
Reracked it
1 x 3

It was easy enough, just messed up

****ing stupid deadlift
70kg 1 x 5
100kg 1 x 3
110kg 1 x 1
140kg 1 x f
120kg 1 x 5
Weight was easy, getting it up of the floor was not, due to the plates being so ****ing small that to get to the bar, I had to squat, really low, making pulling anything remotely heavy difficult, due to incorrect starting position
Couldnt set them up on plates either, because the 25kg plates aren't big enough to support more than one plate without rocking as they aren't flat :facepalm:

Infuriating, that 140kg would have some off the floor I reckon no real problems if I could actually get at the bar

Bench 20kg DBs 1 x 8
32kg 1 x 3
36kg 1 x 3
1 x 4
1 x 3
Poor, not eating enough probs as I'm still feeling this cold and cough
32kg DBs 3 x 5
Getting some volume in at least

Thank god I'm not going to this regularily

Oh and new hate - guys screaming for lolz... 2 big guys, looking like clouds messing around with flys and literally screaming making the other one laugh from the first rep onwards, then hurling the dumbbell at the floor.

Oh and a guy was doing belted squats in the smith machine rather than using the bar bell once I'd finished with it

Welcome to the gym, where 90% of people have no clue what they're doing :tongue:

Breathing is very important on deadlifts and squats, they make or break the lift imo.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Welcome to the gym, where 90% of people have no clue what they're doing :tongue:

Breathing is very important on deadlifts and squats, they make or break the lift imo.

We all see people do daft things in the gym all the time :tongue: . But this gym seems to have been built by plebs... not flat plates that are tiny and not a lot of weight. Today for deadlifts all I had access after that 140kg if I'd needed it was a few 2.5s and 1.25s. Some of you guys would have fun trying to get enough of it

And yes, I've never just flopped forward before... was interesting
It's a scientific fact that training chest on Monday is more anabolic. Your body is in super high testosterone rebound mode as it's recovering from all the oestrogen inducing alcohol you consumed on Friday and Saturday night. The body tries to maintain homeostasis by producing more testosterone to counteract this rise in oestrogen, this testosterone spike, couple with the anabolic window results in a massive anabolic response from training chest. If you train chest on any other day you're wasting your time and you won't make any gains at all. It's Monday or GTFO.

It's practically science, bro.
(edited 10 years ago)
[video="youtube;YRL4uIVzVWI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRL4uIVzVWI[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest