The Student Room Group

Insomnia is driving me mad!

I have suffered with insomnia in the past, which mostly involved having restless nights where I got some sleep bud it was poor quality, I'd wake up regularly and have bad dreams.

On Saturday, I came back to Beijing from England, and I just haven't slept. Well, I slept for a few hours on Saturday during the day, but I literally have not slept at all since that. Not one wink! I know it's probably jet lag, but it's not half past midnight, Tuesday night, I feel mentally and physically exhausted and in a terrible mood, but still I just can't sleep!

I've tried drinking camomile tea, listening to relaxing music, putting fresh, lavender scented sheets on my bed, going for a walk outside, reading, and even took 2 of my migraine pills last night, which usually knock me out, but nothing! This evening I've cleaned my whole apartment and written a shopping list (being disorganised makes me anxious). I've had my tea and popped my pills (which I do not want to start depending on), but I've just been laying in my bed wide awake.

Anyone have any tricks to help them sleep? I'll try anything right now. I'm fed up of being the walking dead at work and feeling like crap. I don't know how it is possible to go over 72 hours with no sleep!
Reply 1
I get this all the time! :frown:
But usually I just turn off all the lights and my phone off and force myself to think of nothing and usually I lie there in the black for up to like 2/3 hours, I don't know what else to do either so I will follow this thread & wait for suggestions! :tongue:
sorry to hear that, it sounds pretty bad at the moment..
i would say exercising is a good idea, especially running/swimming and try not having any caffeine for a while you may see a difference?

but if it is really unbearable, see your doctor they may have some sleeping pills or some help to make you relax?
most importantly, don't worry or stress/over think - it's the worst thing to do especially when trying to sleep!

good luck hope it gets better
X
Im actually going to my doctor due to my chronic lack of sleep ill let you know what they say. I don't want to be on sleeping tablets but I don't get to sleep till about 4/5am even though I go to bed at 10pm but im up at 7am and cant get back to sleep I cant cope on 3 hours sleep a night its awful
no is that over the counter or prescription would it be worth mentioning today at the doctor?
Reply 5
Original post by Nerol
I have suffered with insomnia in the past, which mostly involved having restless nights where I got some sleep bud it was poor quality, I'd wake up regularly and have bad dreams.

On Saturday, I came back to Beijing from England, and I just haven't slept. Well, I slept for a few hours on Saturday during the day, but I literally have not slept at all since that. Not one wink! I know it's probably jet lag, but it's not half past midnight, Tuesday night, I feel mentally and physically exhausted and in a terrible mood, but still I just can't sleep!

I've tried drinking camomile tea, listening to relaxing music, putting fresh, lavender scented sheets on my bed, going for a walk outside, reading, and even took 2 of my migraine pills last night, which usually knock me out, but nothing! This evening I've cleaned my whole apartment and written a shopping list (being disorganised makes me anxious). I've had my tea and popped my pills (which I do not want to start depending on), but I've just been laying in my bed wide awake.

Anyone have any tricks to help them sleep? I'll try anything right now. I'm fed up of being the walking dead at work and feeling like crap. I don't know how it is possible to go over 72 hours with no sleep!

Yes. Do exercise. Don't look at computers or mobile phones for 2hrs before going to sleep. Avoid caffeine. Check out what might be causing you stress and deal with it. Get some herbal sleep tablets from the chemist and take them an hour before going to bed. Get a proper sleep going to bed time and try to stick to it- jet lag or no jet lag!
Original post by mgi
Yes. Do exercise. Don't look at computers or mobile phones for 2hrs before going to sleep. Avoid caffeine. Check out what might be causing you stress and deal with it. Get some herbal sleep tablets from the chemist and take them an hour before going to bed. Get a proper sleep going to bed time and try to stick to it- jet lag or no jet lag!

She probably is sleeping right now.

This thread is from 2014.
Original post by Nerol

Not very difficult at all to get a script for non benzodiazepine Z-drugs off the GP. Many Antihistamines are also quite sedating.
(edited 5 years ago)
Listen to Zayn Maliks new song 'Insomnia' :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest