The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by babyshawte

ure over 80 days late mate tsk tsk
Original post by Add!ction
I regret not knowing myself well enough and choosing the wrong uni and course for me. I put my family through a lot of emotional and financial stress in dropping out. I'm taking a second gap year and going again in September, but this time I won't let reputation and snobbery get in the way and I'm choosing a uni that's right for me.

Its great to see that I'm not alone. I completely doubted myself when it came to my choices regarding university and I wish I had just believed in myself a lot more.

I've dropped out for over a month now and I still feel guilty and ashamed at times but in the end, dropping out was the right thing to do for me. I'm going to start a different course at a different uni in September - looking forward to a new start. Just worrying about implications with student finance now!
Original post by cherryblossom23
Its great to see that I'm not alone. I completely doubted myself when it came to my choices regarding university and I wish I had just believed in myself a lot more.

I've dropped out for over a month now and I still feel guilty and ashamed at times but in the end, dropping out was the right thing to do for me. I'm going to start a different course at a different uni in September - looking forward to a new start. Just worrying about implications with student finance now!

Took me a while to sort student finance but I believe they're just letting me keep the first instalment, so I'll just keep it by for next year.

I think people underestimate how big a step going to uni is. You have to be 100% happy with the decisions you make, as long as you have no regrets then all is good.
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

Dropping out of university is not harmful if you wish to pursue something of your choice or your interest. Many students are unsure as to what they wish to pursue their career in and hence take up subjects or a course that is not of their choice. However, when they do identify what they wish to take up they drop out of their course and take up their desired course of study.
So figure out what you wish to do further in terms of career and then plan your path that way.
Reply 64
Original post by cherryblossom23
Just worrying about implications with student finance now!

If you've dropped out in your first year, you'll still get your full SF entitlement for a three or four year degree started from scratch. You effectively get a "grace year" of funding which allows for a false start. Good luck!

My story is that I dropped out of Oxford after two years. Wish I'd gone at the end of the first year as I'd wanted to, but pride and parental pressure kept me there. I loved the place and the friends I made there, but I was clearly on the wrong course and found that I had no aptitude for it at all. I hated myself for years afterwards and just couldn't accept that dropping out had been the right thing to do.

Fast forward 20+ years. I paid off the mortgage, saved up some money and started a new degree at my local uni. I loved every minute of it, went straight into a Masters at a different uni and am now back, working on a PhD.

Some people just "find" uni education later than others. If you drop out at any stage, it doesn't mean that you'll never get a degree.
Reply 65
I dropped out of Bristol in December. I didn't like the university or the course but I did like the city/social life. I have a job now and I've reapplied through UCAS and CAO. I was worried I wouldn't get any offers because I dropped out but I've had unconditionals from Edinburgh and Manchester for a slightly different course. Hopefully I'll enjoy uni more next year. :smile:
Reply 66
I'm seriously considering dropping out of university. I have completed 2 years of a Mathematics degree at a "prestigious" university. Unfortunately, the very same university has screwed me over pretty badly this year. As it was my 3rd year, I applied to go on exchange, but while on it, my depression/eating disorder had gotten completely out of control. I asked the university to return, and was given a green light to do so, was told that my semester 1 wouldn't count and my degree classification would be based on semester 2 of year 3 and all of year 4. Already at this point I knew that Maths isn't for me, as I am much more interested in more hands-on subjects, and miss working with people. o I've been studying for A-level Chemistry in my spare time, doing research and practicing UCAT/BMAT tests as I had my heart set on doing Graduate Entry Medicine. The annoying thing is that I am a good student and I enjoy the university experience, but I am very clear that I don't want to pursue this particular degree. Now, upon my return to my home university in semester 2 I have been told that in fact a mistake has been made and I cannot continue as was previously arranged. This basically meant that I had to drop out this year, wasted a year, and I'm due to return into my 3rd year again next year, then do my 4th year when all my friends have graduated already. I'm not sure I can do it and I am absolutely positive that I don't WANT to do it. I have been looking at some HNC courses and I am thinking of doing a year-long HNC Applied Science course, while volunteering at the NHS (I am due to begin volunteering next week) and gaining some hospital experience. But I'm scared. I've always been a top student and dropping out is just not something that people would expect of me. I am very scared of what my parents would do,and my boyfriend too - he's one of those people who have known since age 10 what they want to do in life (for him it's a career in academia, in Physics), so he does't understand people who have such drastic changes of heart. But I am suffering from depression and I know that I might not get better unless I do what I actually want to do... And I have pretty good reasons to do Medicine, I know that I would be great at it, and thoroughly enjoy it.
Rant over.
Reply 67
Havent read all the comments but common themes seem to be be drop outs because of..

Hard work
boredom

Nothing worthwhile comes easy and it seems to me that when selecting a degree course, one must have an eye on employment prospects and earning potential when you come out the other end of the machine.

There is no point in having a degree in something you find teribly interesting but which has limited appeal to employers.

Life doesnt get any easier as you get older.

I dont have the luxury of a degree but i have never had a days unemployment since leaving school more than 30 years ago and i still have my foot on the pedal right up to to day.

The end result is plenty enough money to do what i like and also good retirement income.
Original post by Limpopo
Havent read all the comments but common themes seem to be be drop outs because of..

Hard work
boredom

Nothing worthwhile comes easy and it seems to me that when selecting a degree course, one must have an eye on employment prospects and earning potential when you come out the other end of the machine.

There is no point in having a degree in something you find teribly interesting but which has limited appeal to employers.

Life doesnt get any easier as you get older.

I dont have the luxury of a degree but i have never had a days unemployment since leaving school more than 30 years ago and i still have my foot on the pedal right up to to day.

The end result is plenty enough money to do what i like and also good retirement income.

To be honest I think the most common theme here actually seems to be depression. It was definitely the case for me as well, I literally cried for hours every day that I was at uni. I was homesick, not enjoying my course (it had fairly poor job prospects so there was no point sticking it out for money) and hating halls. I have never ever been so low and I'm still not sure if I have 100% recovered yet. I dropped out four months ago.

I'm really surprised that you're such a firm advocate of uni, bearing in mind that you have done well without a degree! After leaving I am way, way more supportive of the employment and apprenticeships route and I personally believe we need to stop encouraging almost every school leaver in the UK to go to uni. Pretty much every day on TSR I see posts along the lines of "I'm a graduate and I can't get a job" and it's awful to see so many in this situation when they seem to have almost been promised that having a degree will make their desired career a reality - it won't.
Reply 69
Original post by Where'sPerry?
To be honest I think the most common theme here actually seems to be depression. It was definitely the case for me as well, I literally cried for hours every day that I was at uni. I was homesick, not enjoying my course (it had fairly poor job prospects so there was no point sticking it out for money) and hating halls. I have never ever been so low and I'm still not sure if I have 100% recovered yet. I dropped out four months ago.

I'm really surprised that you're such a firm advocate of uni, bearing in mind that you have done well without a degree! After leaving I am way, way more supportive of the employment and apprenticeships route and I personally believe we need to stop encouraging almost every school leaver in the UK to go to uni. Pretty much every day on TSR I see posts along the lines of "I'm a graduate and I can't get a job" and it's awful to see so many in this situation when they seem to have almost been promised that having a degree will make their desired career a reality - it won't.

Thanks for your input Perry...

Yes i can see that psychologically, going to Uni could have its challenges. It must be quite a big leap for many. From the relatively cocooned environment of the home straight into the big wide world where you have to do almost everything for yourself,learn to live independently, try to fit in socially,make new friends and oh by the way get into study mode with all the pressures it entails.

I guess there is an expectation and received wisdom that you go off to Uni,make lots of friends, go out on the lash almost every other night and its all a breeze and one big social whirl.

I'm sure its not like that for many young people.

I guess its better if you are from nuclear family in the Shires who are reasonably well wadded and you are as a result,buffered in your new world but again, for many its not like that.

When I left school the world was very different. At that time the people who went into sixth form college/class and then onto Uni were seen as the elite.

Most people left school and got a job and boy, there were so many opportunities that Employers courted YOU and YOU did the picking.

You could easily open the local paper a few months before the traditional school leaving date of August and find pages of companies looking to take on Apprentices, to invest in people and give them high quality training.

What changed?

A lot of things I guess but i think a big driver was the switch from the UK being a big R&D/Developmental and manufacturing base to a service and finance economy.

Look where we are now. HM Government has to kow tow to the City of London and court them for if they pull the plug and move to Hong Kong then UK PLC would be stuffed.

I do think many Uni students would benefit greatly from better support networks. Maybe mentoring contacts ?

I wonder if there is a growing tide of resentment amongst Uni students with regard to the declining availability of places and also the lack of flow into employment which was once seen as almost a right of passage due to having a degree?

Is the move to an Apprenticeship still scorned and seen as a much less attractive option? More blue collar than white?
apprenticeships better than uni? please... uni is so much more than getting a piece of paper which says you're above average in subject x.

depression is crap but you do get over it eventually, and when you do, life is good again
Original post by Brian Butterfield
apprenticeships better than uni? please... uni is so much more than getting a piece of paper which says you're above average in subject x.

depression is crap but you do get over it eventually, and when you do, life is good again

Who even are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by Naami
*Sigh* I'm currently doing chemistry - in my first term of first year and I honestly don't feel cut out for it. I keep thinking I'm going to fail and the workload is intense - I feel all I ever do is post labs and tutorials, I never have time to even go over lectures/extra work nvm societies! I don't want to drop out, and I'm gonna see how the rest of the year goes, but it is a bit demotivating that one of my course mates dropped out last week (and she was actually very smart!)

Hey there. Are you still at university? I hope it's getting better for you. And I shouldve made a post when I was struggling during my first semester, worse than anyone I knew. It's got better for me now but I'm still thinking of leaving at the end of the year, Pharmacy is difffficcculttt.
And I know what you mean- I know 3 friends who have dropped out, but think of it as you being a survivor! and fight! you can do it.

People need to remember that, despite so many older people telling you if you don't get a degree you'll be unemployed and broke, what's the most important thing? It's your happiness

Do. Whatever. Makes. You. Happy.

and remember there are people living on less than £5 a day somewhere out there

you'll be fine
Reply 73
I'm thinking of dropping out, what happened with your student finance? Did you have to pay it all back straight away? and did that include grants?
Reply 74

I find this a horrendously funny quote because you could very well say this about certain degrees in some manner these days...

And you can say that about anything to do with depression, that isn't limited to University. Not everyone deals with it in the same way and some won't get over it during their time at Uni, even if they stay the whole 3-5 years.
Reply 75
Original post by Anz
Hey there. Are you still at university? I hope it's getting better for you. And I shouldve made a post when I was struggling during my first semester, worse than anyone I knew. It's got better for me now but I'm still thinking of leaving at the end of the year, Pharmacy is difffficcculttt.
And I know what you mean- I know 3 friends who have dropped out, but think of it as you being a survivor! and fight! you can do it.

People need to remember that, despite so many older people telling you if you don't get a degree you'll be unemployed and broke, what's the most important thing? It's your happiness

Do. Whatever. Makes. You. Happy.

and remember there are people living on less than £5 a day somewhere out there

you'll be fine

This.

It's difficult. I found the jump between GCSEs to A-Levels difficult enough to have to re-sit a year, I had no idea what was in store when I went to University.

The only modules I did any good in in my first year were Maths related and that's because I'd done the same Maths for the three years prior to joining so I was effectively studying the same thing again.

Yeah, it was bad but I think if you're happy enough to stay and it's just you aren't quite getting the grades yet... give it another chance. Hell, even if you finish will all Ds, passing the first year is difficult. It's a whole new level of education alongside everything else that goes with University.

As for drop-outs, try not to let them worry you. Everyone drops out for their own reasons, they aren't things that you should extend to yourself from them unless you felt it to begin with. The drop-out/course-changing rate in first year is huge and it's pretty standard across most courses that this is the case.

But like Anz said, do what makes YOU happy. Try not to let others' experiences bug you. You're your own person at the end of the day. If you've gotta leave, you've gotta leave, there's no shame in it, it is in fact a very difficult decision to make sometimes. Either way, you make a big decision whether you stay or go and you should be proud whichever decision you make. :smile:
Reply 76

High quality Apprenticeships can indeed be a better option for some people.

Im not talking about the current crop of low grade workplace training thats being rebadged as apprenticeships eg apprentice barrisata at costa coffee,im talking about 3 year structured training and development within an established business.

Be careful. HM Government are currently trying to tout low grade training by rebadging it as apprenticeships. This is as bad as low grade degree courses which lead to nowhere.

The only important thing is to learn something useful,something that is marketable in the workplace and from which you can earn a long term living and develop/progress.
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

Got a job in Paris for a year, improved my French to fluency, re-applied to study outside the UK for the coming September and will be starting a business degree at a top university. Do not regret my decision at all.
Reply 78
I dropped out in 2011, I had picked the wrong degree, and the longer I stayed the more apparent it become, I also hated living in halls and being so far from home. I worked while I decided what I really wanted to do with my life, I realised what it was I wanted to do, got some work experience in that area, and am starting university again in September at a university I am much happier with, and a degree that I am far more passionate about.

It was the best decision I ever made, it was difficult at the time feeling like I'd failed and let people down, but it was defiantly the right decision.
I originally started a degree in Building Surveying at Liverpool John Moores Uni in 2009, but quit after two months because the actual work was too difficult for me. I then had to pay LJMU £550 out of my own pocket in 11 monthly repayments :frown: I thought I'd be able to handle it but it was way too complicated for me, especially the Mathematics part.

Now I'm starting Uni again in September doing a degree in Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring and I'm hoping that this is MUCH more up my street.

I do regret not staying on though, I could've been earning a top wage by now :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending