The Student Room Group

Could I get into UCL?

I want to study Ancient History at UCL, but am I aiming too high?

My GCSE Grades:
4 B's (Graphics, English Language, Religious Studies and Maths), 5 C's (Science: Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Business Studies and English Literature), 1 D (German) and an E (History).

That E (in History) will be replaced by hopefully an A or A* as I went through a hard time during that exam and ending up failing. I'm currently doing History IGCSE and like I said, that E should change to an A at least.

I am also doing Latin at GCSE level so I will have the required B in an ancient or modern language.

A-Levels:
At A-Level I will be studying Ancient History, Archaeology, English Literature and Philosophy.
I started these courses in 2013, however, I had to drop out due to bad circumstances at home. I was there for 2 months and my predicted grades were A*AAA. (I think).

If I got these grades again, at A-Level in this upcoming September, do I have a chance at getting into UCL with my partly bad GCSE grades?

I'm also currently volunteering at a number of establishments, I am an Archives Assistant at a local museum and a hands-on volunteer at a different museum, and then I have volunteered at numerous charity shops and such.

So yeah, do I have a shot?
Would it help if I re-did some of my other GCSEs? I could get English Literature up to an A and Religious Studies up to an A. Would that help at all, or should I do another GCSE in a subject like Ancient Greek or I could attempt to move my German grade up to a B at least?
Reply 1
GCSEs are unimportant compared to your ASs when applying to uni. GCSE wise all you need is the absolute minimum so you don't get insta-rejected, the decision will be based on AS, predictions and personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ross95
GCSEs are unimportant compared to your ASs when applying to uni. GCSE wise all you need is the absolute minimum so you don't get insta-rejected, the decision will be based on AS, predictions and personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but against other applicants, wouldn't having good GCSEs (above the minimum requirements) give me a better chance at getting accepted?
Original post by noxxie013
Yes, but against other applicants, wouldn't having good GCSEs (above the minimum requirements) give me a better chance at getting accepted?

The E in the subject you want to study will take some explaining. Have a word with your referee to make sure they try to explain it in some way in the reference.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
The E in the subject you want to study will take some explaining. Have a word with your referee to make sure they try to explain it in some way in the reference.

I have perfectly valid reasons for it. I am re-doing the subject and will hopefully get at least an A.
(edited 10 years ago)
Regardless of what other people say, it's highly doubtful.
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Regardless of what other people say, it's highly doubtful.

Could you not explain why?
Could you not explain why?

Your GCSE's are not that great, tbh.
I have perfectly valid reasons for it. I am re-doing the subject and will hopefully get at least an A.

I am sure you do have valid reasons for it. No university is going to know what they are unless they are told, though, which is where the reference comes in. You have to declare all results, so you can't hide it. Your previous track record of GCSE results doesn't suggest an A or A* is likely from such a low base, so what your teachers say is going to be vital. Your poor GCSE results are going to put you at considerable disadvantage when compared with the profile of the average applicant, and history is one of the most popular courses there is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Wait how can you be predicted A*AAA from 2 months of being there :O ?
Yeah, what were your predicted grades based on?
Reply 11
There is a bit of a discrepancy between your GCSE results and your predicted A-level results? Is there any explanation for this? Many good A-string GCSE students find the step up to A-level hard, and it may be even harder in your case to achieve even higher (A*AA) unless you had some serious mitigating circumstances that affected all of your grades, not just one.

Is what you are predicted realistic? If so, you may stand a chance if you achieve highly in your ASs, if this doesn't prove to be the case I would have a rethink.
Poor GCSEs and a drop out in the Sixth form ? Why should UCL want you ?
Reply 13
Original post by Old_Simon
Poor GCSEs and a drop out in the Sixth form ? Why should UCL want you ?

I didn't drop out of college because I couldn't be arsed with it. I had my reasons and don't need you making me feel ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
**** off. I didn't drop out of college because I couldn't be arsed with it. I had my reasons and don't need you making me feel ****. So thank you, dick.

Here is the thing. It does not matter what you or I think. What is going to matter is what UCL think. You find it easier to abuse the messenger. Give it up. You will never make it.
Thanks. Such good advice.

Why did you ask if you were not interested in the responses?

You have not been fully clear in explaining your situation

Is my understanding correct

You gained average GCSEs (with a poor History Grade) but had circumstances that contributed to these

You started AS levels but the circumstances continued to cause such issues that you dropped out

You are working

You have returned to school/college (part time?) and you are taking some Level 2 courses in the hope of improving your academic profile

You would re-start AS this coming September

If all of the above is correct then you could contact UCL in September 2015 when you have AS grades, if they are good enough (AAA) and talk to applications in the History team prior to even considering applying
(edited 10 years ago)
The language requirement is a modern one. The Latin won't count... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be completely honest, it's unlikely that you would receive an offer from UCL. But, you should be all means have a go! Maybe put UCL down as your ambitious choice and some other, more realistic options?
Reply 19
I am going to ask that people stop replying to this thread. I don't need people telling me that I'm not good enough, I know my GCSE grades are **** but I went through hell whilst getting them (abusive dad, moving countries twice, having to care for a depressed mother). So I'm proud of myself. But I understand they are below average when applying to universities such as UCL, hence the reason I am doing IGCSEs by myself, not with a college or online course, but completely alone.

I dropped out of college last year because of severe anxiety and I had just come back from staying with my dad (I started college a month after witnessing my step-mum try to kill herself after being beaten by my dad), so I was not in the right frame of mind and was pretty much in bed all day for 2 months.

I am trying to get my life back on track, and I came here looking for advice from nice people who wouldn't tell me I wasn't good enough, but instead give me ideas on how to improve my chances so I'd at least have a shot.

I hope you understand my situation now. And I hope it's clear enough, so you don't have to go look through my old threads.

Thank you, to those who did give good and genuine advice. To those who just sat there and decided to tell me what everyone else around me seems to be saying, that I'm not good enough, thanks, but **** off now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending