The Student Room Group

Is LSE worth the investment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sj27
I know lots of LSE postgrad graduates too. I've met them all through work, where they have good jobs. So I see your anecdotal evidence and raise you one.

Admittedly the ones I've met all have either economics or finance degrees though.

LOL good jobs they could get with an undergraduate degree? yes
Original post by acrbag
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question is similar I promise!

I have an offer for Msc Media & Comm, and am weighing the pros-and-cons. My main question is how are the job prospects for British citizens? I read stories about people not getting jobs, but I know LSE is a hub for international students and the visa sponsorship can be a pain! (I went through it in the USA). So I don't know if these people are mainly international students, or I'm sure a combination of both.

A slightly similar question, also as mentioned in the main post, is it possible to gain employment in other "fields" with a LSE Msc ? IE Consulting and/or possibly finance.

In the US its definitely doable, I had an offer from a top NYC bank with a completely unrelated degree. I know the UK recruiting game is a little different. Forgive me, I have lived in the US since 18 years old and don't know the UK process!

I don't need my hand held through the interview process, but it would be nice if LSE opened doors to previously unattainable interviews!

Cheers!

I would be very wary of this one. It rather has the look of the Harvard School of Bricklaying and Plumbing about it. LSE has no reputation in media studies in the UK.
Reply 22
Original post by Bill_Gates
LOL good jobs they could get with an undergraduate degree? yes

Probably not, actually. Sorry to deflate your argument. When I inquired on behalf of someone I know to the chief economist at one of the BB IBs whether it was worth him doing an MSc from LSE (as an alternative to entering the jobs market straight from undergrad), the answer was that it would be a significant advantage in today's job market to distinguish him from the majority of applicants.

For all the talk on TSR about how one's degree classification is the most important thing, the people I have met from the finance sector in the UK (I'm not based in the UK so tend to meet the more senior people who travel as the "faces" of the companies, not the ones stuck on a desk doing grunt work) are overwhelmingly Oxbridge or LSE grads. Not all of them, but most of them. It certainly seems that those who did undergrad elsewhere do indeed get an advantage getting a postgrad degree from these unis. For the OP who already has an Ivy League degree, the name branding from that angle isn't an issue.
Original post by sj27
Probably not, actually. Sorry to deflate your argument. When I inquired on behalf of someone I know to the chief economist at one of the BB IBs whether it was worth him doing an MSc from LSE (as an alternative to entering the jobs market straight from undergrad), the answer was that it would be a significant advantage in today's job market to distinguish him from the majority of applicants.

For all the talk on TSR about how one's degree classification is the most important thing, the people I have met from the finance sector in the UK (I'm not based in the UK so tend to meet the more senior people who travel as the "faces" of the companies, not the ones stuck on a desk doing grunt work) are overwhelmingly Oxbridge or LSE grads. Not all of them, but most of them. It certainly seems that those who did undergrad elsewhere do indeed get an advantage getting a postgrad degree from these unis. For the OP who already has an Ivy League degree, the name branding from that angle isn't an issue.

Not really i know all the scams going and i know LSE has a lot of fan boys who want to justify their over inflated degree. Many people want to go LSE but in terms of pay back especially for a masters you get very little.

They are not really picky about their post grads either they just want the money.
Reply 24
Not really i know all the scams going and i know LSE has a lot of fan boys who want to justify their over inflated degree. Many people want to go LSE but in terms of pay back especially for a masters you get very little.

They are not really picky about their post grads either they just want the money.

This particular person (the one I spoke to) has both undergrad and PhD from US. I can't imagine he's a LSE "fan boy" (unless he's one because he's impressed with their graduates - there are a few working for him). You'll forgive me if I value the opinion of someone who actually makes decisions in the recruitment process over some anonymous poster on TSR who appears to have an axe to grind.
Original post by sj27
This particular person (the one I spoke to) has both undergrad and PhD from US. I can't imagine he's a LSE "fan boy" (unless he's one because he's impressed with their graduates - there are a few working for him). You'll forgive me if I value the opinion of someone who actually makes decisions in the recruitment process over some anonymous poster on TSR who appears to have an axe to grind.

Oh so you're basing your decisions on one person?

excellent data.
Reply 26
Oh so you're basing your decisions on one person?

excellent data.

You seem unable to follow a conversation or remember beyond the most recent post.
Reply 27
Original post by nulli tertius
I would be very wary of this one. It rather has the look of the Harvard School of Bricklaying and Plumbing about it. LSE has no reputation in media studies in the UK.

Hmmm... A recent report in The Telegraph would seem to disagree, ranking it #1 in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10661594/Its-Oxford-for-literature-but-a-trip-abroad-for-a-maths-degree.html
Original post by sj27
You seem unable to follow a conversation or remember beyond the most recent post.

Cool story bro.

Stop trying to get away from the point. OP dont fall into LSE's cash cow. No point much better options available elsewhere.

I know 3 people on LSE's masters programmes and they all say its not worth it. One can barely speak english. She just scraped a 2:1.
Reply 29
Cool story bro.

Stop trying to get away from the point. OP dont fall into LSE's cash cow. No point much better options available elsewhere.

I know 3 people on LSE's masters programmes and they all say its not worth it. One can barely speak english. She just scraped a 2:1.

Look, I'm sorry you're pissed off that you got rejected from LSE or didn't get the grades to apply or whatever. (I am told by someone via PM that you study at Aston.) I also made it plain in my earlier answers that some masters at LSE do fall into the cash cow category, but others can be very beneficial. Hence why I suggested doing a search on LinkedIn, becasue it's more objective than uni marketing material or arbitrary posters on TSR. OP seems to have made a decision based on valid and objective arguments that fit her situation best already, in case you didn't notice. Maybe one day when you grow up, get that chip off your shoulder and get into the real world you'll learn to be more objective. In the meantime, I'm bored trying to talk sense to a boy with an axe to grind.
Original post by sj27
Look, I'm sorry you're pissed off that you got rejected from LSE or didn't get the grades to apply or whatever. (I am told by someone via PM that you study at Aston.) I also made it plain in my earlier answers that some masters at LSE do fall into the cash cow category, but others can be very beneficial. Hence why I suggested doing a search on LinkedIn, becasue it's more objective than uni marketing material or arbitrary posters on TSR. OP seems to have made a decision based on valid and objective arguments that fit her situation best already, in case you didn't notice. Maybe one day when you grow up, get that chip off your shoulder and get into the real world you'll learn to be more objective. In the meantime, I'm bored trying to talk sense to a boy with an axe to grind.

LOL told by a search? thanks for taking hours to look through my posts. Sounds like you're the one with the chip on your shoulder.

Two of those three people were from Aston who studied at LSE

I do a masters at Warwick now.

I cannot be bothered to troll through your posts.
Original post by BF13
I have an unconditional offer for 2014-2015. It's not for economics, finance, law, or any of the more traditionally competitive programs at LSE. I would be paying international fees, and I've heard that LSE tends to be a cash cow when it comes to international students, so I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time or money doing a one year program that may not lead to high employment prospects after graduation.

Do you think LSE is worth the investment? :confused::confused::confused:
Is there a high level of support when it comes to finding post-graduation employment? Do recruiters -- IB, consulting -- provide equal opportunities to non-economics/finance students? How supportive and accessible are the professors? Research opportunities?

(I know some people may argue that the LSE brand is prestigious and therefore worth the price, but I'm not looking to purchase a name brand degree; I'm looking for a solid postgraduate education and career advancement.)

I think you need to decide decisively whether you want to be in the UK/Europe or the US/elsewhere because this will form the bulk of your decision from the sound of it.

IB and Consulting may view Masters degrees a little differently, with the latter being far more open to a candidate regardless of discipline. It also depends what your undergrad was - if you majored in Economics/another quantitative discipline, I doubt IB recruiters would care. If you have an Bachelors in Politics and a Masters in Health Policy, IB would be tricky. It also depends if you have any commercial/impressive work experience that would entice them into giving you an interview.

As for the more general debate about LSE being a cash cow at Masters level: of course it is, but two things: 1) Everyone does it, LSE is just at the top of the pack since it's been doing it for so long. Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and other top universities know that Masters degrees, especially to international students, are a great revenue-generator since they're not sufficiently funded from their undergraduates 2) Play it right and it's a worthwhile investment. LSE can help you get a job if your undergrad wasn't a target school and/or provide you access to a number of networks that will really help in your career. Of course, if you're just going for 'prestige', that's silly.
Original post by acrbag
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question is similar I promise!

I have an offer for Msc Media & Comm, and am weighing the pros-and-cons. My main question is how are the job prospects for British citizens? I read stories about people not getting jobs, but I know LSE is a hub for international students and the visa sponsorship can be a pain! (I went through it in the USA). So I don't know if these people are mainly international students, or I'm sure a combination of both.

A slightly similar question, also as mentioned in the main post, is it possible to gain employment in other "fields" with a LSE Msc ? IE Consulting and/or possibly finance.

In the US its definitely doable, I had an offer from a top NYC bank with a completely unrelated degree. I know the UK recruiting game is a little different. Forgive me, I have lived in the US since 18 years old and don't know the UK process!

I don't need my hand held through the interview process, but it would be nice if LSE opened doors to previously unattainable interviews!

Cheers!

If the were just counting on the LSE Masters to get you an interview, I doubt it. You'd need to have something else on your CV (target undergrad, relevant subject, work experience, extra-curricular) to seal it for you - which it sounds like you probably do.
Bear in mind that I'm a mature student who is only starting their UG degree this September, so this will be largely opinion based:

- It depends where your UG degree is from. If it's from a 'decent' or 'good' Uni and the LSE represents a definitive step up in quality/reputation I'd say it's a good choice; it shows that you are making continual improvement. If, say, you have a UG degree from an Ivy League uni in the States, there isn't much of a difference with LSE and it's probably not a great investment.

- I don't think the degree matters, personally. LSE is a social sciences Uni, they aren't bad in anything that they do because they are such a specific institution largely focused at one branch of academia. Regardless of what you study at LSE, you will come out with a very, very good degree.

- Even at UG level, LSE has a reputation for independence. Social Science disciplines are known for having more independent study and less contact hours than other disciplines - everything I've heard suggests this is even more true at LSE. You need to consider whether this kind of environment would be of benefit to you.
Original post by acrbag
Hmmm... A recent report in The Telegraph would seem to disagree, ranking it #1 in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10661594/Its-Oxford-for-literature-but-a-trip-abroad-for-a-maths-degree.html

All I can say is that I find this absolutely staggering, but I stand corrected.
Reply 35
hey all...
I am a student from India. Got an unconditional offer for MSc in Accounting and Finance for 2014/15.
I am currently also pursuing CFA. I have heard that the job prospects after doing an MSc are not at all good for international students. Can anyone (in)validate this information?
Reply 36
Original post by goel.naman
hey all...
I am a student from India. Got an unconditional offer for MSc in Accounting and Finance for 2014/15.
I am currently also pursuing CFA. I have heard that the job prospects after doing an MSc are not at all good for international students. Can anyone (in)validate this information?

Read posts 8-16 of this thread...
Original post by goel.naman
hey all...

Job prospects with the MSc in Accounting and Finance will be good - for IB, consulting and corporates. It's tough for international students in the current climate but that would be true regardless of course or university.
Reply 38
hi everyone,

Would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts!!!

I am an international student with more than 6 years of work experience. I just got an unconditional offer for MSc in Social policy and development. Unfortunately didn't get any financial support. Wondering if I should accept the offer and go ahead with one year of study at LSE? After graduation planning on coming back to my country. I am also thinking of Phd later on.
Original post by rshreesh
hi everyone,

Would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts!!!

I am an international student with more than 6 years of work experience. I just got an unconditional offer for MSc in Social policy and development. Unfortunately didn't get any financial support. Wondering if I should accept the offer and go ahead with one year of study at LSE? After graduation planning on coming back to my country. I am also thinking of Phd later on.

That depends entirely on how much it's going to cost you to attend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending