The Student Room Group

GCSE Psychology 10th June

Does anyone know what the Schroeder study is about? I saw it on the specification but I don't remember learning it and it isn't in my textbook
Reply 1
Original post by caraa5xx
Does anyone know what the Schroeder study is about? I saw it on the specification but I don't remember learning it and it isn't in my textbook

He is in the social influence topic. Aim: to explore different reasons for bystanders not helping. Method: they studied the findings and conclusions from many previous pieces of research. Results: they are able to provide an alternative explanation for why bystanders did nothing to help when others were present. Conclusion: bystanders are distressed and concerned about victims but, when other people are present, they believe that someone else might be more capable of helping, or can help more easily than themselves.

Hope this helped:smile: Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by SFarooq
He is in the social influence topic. Aim: to explore different reasons for bystanders not helping. Method: they studied the findings and conclusions from many previous pieces of research. Results: they are able to provide an alternative explanation for why bystanders did nothing to help when others were present. Conclusion: bystanders are distressed and concerned about victims but, when other people are present, they believe that someone else might be more capable of helping, or can help more easily than themselves.

This helps a lot thanks:smile:
Does anyone know what the 10 mark question was on the June 2013 unit 2 paper?
Original post by ellieralston

I don't recall there being a 10 mark question on the June 2013 paper....:confused:
There is always a ten mark answer and a six mark answer
Does anyone know the evaluation of the Psychodynamic and Social Learning explanation of aggression?

Is a weakness that Freud's ideas were unfasifiable meaning that it cannot be proved right or wrong?

Also, what is the gender schema theory of the development of gender?

Thanks a lot! Wish everyone luck for tomorrows exam!
Original post by SFarooq

Thank you so much! I've just been looking everywhere for this study! :biggrin:
Original post by poppycute246
There is always a ten mark answer and a six mark answer

I have never seen a 10 mark answer in Psychology. Which exam board are you doing?
Reply 9
Original post by ellieralston

There aren't any 10 mark questions, there are only six marks. Maybe you are doing a different exam board.
Reply 10
Original post by JadeCallosal
Thank you so much! I've just been looking everywhere for this study! :biggrin:

no problem :smile:
What are all bystander studies?? Please
Original post by SFarooq
no problem :smile:

Do you know anything about the gender schema theory of gender development? I don't understand it at all :frown:
Reply 13
Does anyone know the evaluation of the Psychodynamic and Social Learning explanation of aggression?

Is a weakness that Freud's ideas were unfasifiable meaning that it cannot be proved right or wrong?

Also, what is the gender schema theory of the development of gender?

Thanks a lot! Wish everyone luck for tomorrows exam!

the psychodynamic explanation of aggression is the idea of thanatos. where our aggressive behaviour is cause by an internal force or instinct. all the time instinct is building up inside us, it creates pressure, until sooner or later we cannot control it and it makes us do something aggressive.

I'd consider that a weakness as we don't have any evidence that it is right or wrong because the majority of the time is unconscious so they are difficult to prove. as a result they are unreliable.

gender schema are made up of knowledge we have about each gender. they contain information about our behaviours. for example the clothes, activities, roles, personality traits etc. the gender schema of some people are made up of gender stereotypes. these could include believing all builders are men and all secretaries are women for example.

hopefully you found this useful :smile:
Come on please help me, what are the studies of bystander intervention
Original post by SFarooq
the psychodynamic explanation of aggression is the idea of thanatos. where our aggressive behaviour is cause by an internal force or instinct. all the time instinct is building up inside us, it creates pressure, until sooner or later we cannot control it and it makes us do something aggressive.

I'd consider that a weakness as we don't have any evidence that it is right or wrong because the majority of the time is unconscious so they are difficult to prove. as a result they are unreliable.

gender schema are made up of knowledge we have about each gender. they contain information about our behaviours. for example the clothes, activities, roles, personality traits etc. the gender schema of some people are made up of gender stereotypes. these could include believing all builders are men and all secretaries are women for example.

hopefully you found this useful :smile:

Ohhhh, okay, thank you! That is very helpful!

I've just read an exam question which said "describe the gender schema theory of gender development (3 marks)"

Would you put that gender schemas are mental blocks of knowledge we all have about each gender? But how would you gain full marks? :smile:
Original post by Pauliniho
Come on please help me, what are the studies of bystander intervention

Lantane and Darley
Piliavin
Batson
Schroeder
Reply 17
Original post by Pauliniho
What are all bystander studies?? Please

there are about four that you need to know including their names:

latane and darley: aim: to see if people are less likely to react in an emergency when there are others present. method: they had participants sat in a room either alone or in groups of 3 while filling in a questionnaire. while the participants were doing this, smoke began to pour into the room. results: 75% of those alone went to call somebody whereas only 38% called for someone when in groups. conclusion: if there are other people around you, it will make it less likely that you will react in an emergency.

piliavin: aim: to see if the appearance of the victim would influence helping behaviour. method: piliavin had an actor pretend to collapse in a train carriage. his appearance altered several times and the amount of help he received was recorded by an observer. results: when the 'victim' carried a walking stick, he received help within 70 seconds, 90% of the time, when he had an ugly facial scare, 60% helped in that time and when he appeared to be a drunk only 20% helped at that time. conclusion: the appearance of the person needing help will affect whether an how quickly they will get help.

bateson et al: aim: to discover if the similarity of the victim to the bystander would have an effect whether or not they received help. method: participants watched a woman who they thought was receiving electric shocks. each participant was made to think that the woman was either like themselves or very different. they were then given the opportunity to take the woman's place in order to stop her suffering. results: more participants were prepared to take the place of the woman when they thought to be similar to themselves then dissimilar. conclusion: people are more likely to offer help to someone they feel is similar to themselves in someway that to someone they cannot relate to. bateson claimed that it is because we feel greater empathy for people like ourselves and it cause us more distress to see them suffering. helping them relieves this distress.

Schroeder is the other, I have wrote him above.

hope this helped:smile:
Original post by SFarooq
there are about four that you need to know including their names:

latane and darley: aim: to see if people are less likely to react in an emergency when there are others present. method: they had participants sat in a room either alone or in groups of 3 while filling in a questionnaire. while the participants were doing this, smoke began to pour into the room. results: 75% of those alone went to call somebody whereas only 38% called for someone when in groups. conclusion: if there are other people around you, it will make it less likely that you will react in an emergency.

piliavin: aim: to see if the appearance of the victim would influence helping behaviour. method: piliavin had an actor pretend to collapse in a train carriage. his appearance altered several times and the amount of help he received was recorded by an observer. results: when the 'victim' carried a walking stick, he received help within 70 seconds, 90% of the time, when he had an ugly facial scare, 60% helped in that time and when he appeared to be a drunk only 20% helped at that time. conclusion: the appearance of the person needing help will affect whether an how quickly they will get help.

bateson et al: aim: to discover if the similarity of the victim to the bystander would have an effect whether or not they received help. method: participants watched a woman who they thought was receiving electric shocks. each participant was made to think that the woman was either like themselves or very different. they were then given the opportunity to take the woman's place in order to stop her suffering. results: more participants were prepared to take the place of the woman when they thought to be similar to themselves then dissimilar. conclusion: people are more likely to offer help to someone they feel is similar to themselves in someway that to someone they cannot relate to. bateson claimed that it is because we feel greater empathy for people like ourselves and it cause us more distress to see them suffering. helping them relieves this distress.

Schroeder is the other, I have wrote him above.

hope this helped:smile:

Yay, i would have gotten them all correct :biggrin:

So they may ask, "describe and evaluate Bateson's study" Instead of "A study about bystander intervention"? :smile:
Reply 19
Yay, i would have gotten them all correct :biggrin:

So they may ask, "describe and evaluate Bateson's study" Instead of "A study about bystander intervention"? :smile:

they could ask any of them. if they give a named one, you would have to give a specific one but if they don't say a name then you could write any study

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending