The Student Room Group

When do I apply for accommodation financing?

Got some questions:

1) Who do I apply to for accommodation financing? Is this Student Finance too? And if so where do I apply for it? (I've already applied for my Student Loans).

2) When do I apply for the accommodation financing? Once I get offered a room or do I do it now?

Really confused as to how I go about this.

Any information would be grateful.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonn123
Got some questions:

1) Who do I apply to for accommodation financing? Is this Student Finance too? And if so where do I apply for it? (I've already applied for my Student Loans).

2) When do I apply for the accommodation financing? Once I get offered a room or do I do it now?

Really confused as to how I go about this.

Any information would be grateful.

The maintenance loan provided by student finance is for you to spend as you wish and there is no separate loan for accomodation.
Just to add to the above - you get 2 loans - one is for tuition, which you don't see. The other one is maintenance, which is your money to spend on things like accommodation, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Just to add to the above - you get 2 loans - one is for tuition, which you don't see. The other one is maintenance, which is your money to spend on things like accommodation, etc.

Original post by jelly1000
The maintenance loan provided by student finance is for you to spend as you wish and there is no separate loan for accomodation.

Hmm. I'm not even sure if I've applied for the right Loans then.

If I get Accommodation at my chosen University. Will Student Finance pay them directly on my behalf or would I be responsible for being a Middle-Man and transferring it over to the Accommodation?

Just very confused by it all.
Hmm. I'm not even sure if I've applied for the right Loans then.

If I get Accommodation at my chosen University. Will Student Finance pay them directly on my behalf or would I be responsible for being a Middle-Man and transferring it over to the Accommodation?

Just very confused by it all.

the bit ive highlighted.your maintenance loan is given to you and its up to you how to spend it. the tuition fee loan is sent direct to the uni.
It should tell you on your online account for student finance which loans you've applied for.
Reply 6
the bit ive highlighted.your maintenance loan is given to you and its up to you how to spend it. the tuition fee loan is sent direct to the uni.

So are Students who living at Home entitled to the same Grants/Loans than campus living Students? - That doesn't sound right, it suddenly feels like I'll barely have no money because my Grants/Loans for ''Living Costs'' will all be absorbed into Accommodation?
So are Students who living at Home entitled to the same Grants/Loans than campus living Students? - That doesn't sound right, it suddenly feels like I'll barely have no money because my Grants/Loans for ''Living Costs'' will all be absorbed into Accommodation?

Students who live with their parents are entitled to less than those who live away from them.
Reply 8
It should tell you on your online account for student finance which loans you've applied for.

This is what I've applied for, I don't even recall if they asked if I was living at home or going to be living on Campus.
Reply 9
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Students who live with their parents are entitled to less than those who live away from them.

Right so the extra I will get will equal my accommodation costs pretty much?
Right so the extra I will get will equal my accommodation costs pretty much?

No, nowhere near. But you said you're getting grants which means you're getting way more than lots of students.

No students living away from home get more money, but again its up to them how to spend it. It is true though that students whose parents earn a high amount will find that most if not all of the maintenance loan goes towards accommodation.
The grant is the same whether you live at home or away. It's just the loan amount that changes.
Reply 13
No, nowhere near. But you said you're getting grants which means you're getting way more than lots of students.

No students living away from home get more money, but again its up to them how to spend it. It is true though that students whose parents earn a high amount will find that most if not all of the maintenance loan goes towards accommodation.

The grant is the same whether you live at home or away. It's just the loan amount that changes.

Hmm right ok.

The problem is, I've been doing everything by myself and not really had any help with applying for Uni/Accommodation or Financing.

I live with my Mum only who was forced into an early retirement through an injury which left her disabled so the only income my household gets is benefits to my Mum so I'd assume I'd be given the full amounts I've asked for?

One other question is, in this picture it shows what I've applied for. Is this per year or per term? I don't even know.

Hmm right ok.

The problem is, I've been doing everything by myself and not really had any help with applying for Uni/Accommodation or Financing.

I live with my Mum only who was forced into an early retirement through an injury which left her disabled so the only income my household gets is benefits to my Mum so I'd assume I'd be given the full amounts I've asked for?

One other question is, in this picture it shows what I've applied for. Is this per year or per term? I don't even know.

Amounts shown are the yearly amounts. You get the full amount you're entitled to if your household income is under £25000 per year.

You're paid termly with a slightly larger amount paid for the summer term. But if you get the full grant, I think that's a pound or two less for the summer term.
Reply 15
Amounts shown are the yearly amounts. You get the full amount you're entitled to if your household income is under £25000 per year.

You're paid termly with a slightly larger amount paid for the summer term. But if you get the full grant, I think that's a pound or two less for the summer term.

Ok so let's say I get paid the full amount. This will total £9,362 each year?

Then out of that I will need to pay £5,120 a year Accommodation.

Leaving me with £4,242 a year Living Expenses which will come to £81.57 a week?

Does that all sound correct?
Ok so let's say I get paid the full amount. This will total £9,362 each year?

Then out of that I will need to pay £5,120 a year Accommodation.

Leaving me with £4,242 a year Living Expenses which will come to £81.57 a week?

Does that all sound correct?

Your loan will be reduced by the maintenance grant. It's something like 50p for each £ of the maintenance grant. I'm not sure when it stops reducing.
Reply 17
Your loan will be reduced by the maintenance grant. It's something like 50p for each £ of the maintenance grant. I'm not sure when it stops reducing.

But surely I wouldn't be expected to live on under £80 a week? The government say the minimum you need to live on a week is £60?
But surely I wouldn't be expected to live on under £80 a week? The government say the minimum you need to live on a week is £60?

£80 a week excluding accommodation makes you extremely rich in terms of students. A lot of students' loans don't even cover their accommodation.
Reply 19
£80 a week excluding accommodation makes you extremely rich in terms of students. A lot of students' loans don't even cover their accommodation.

Hmm when you put it that way you're right.

I don't know how heavy smokers/drinkers cope at Uni then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending