The Student Room Group

I am waiting for my results before I apply for accommodation is that ok?

Hello,

I don't really have a favourite accommodation as I'm fine with the accommodations at my unis. I've chosen University of Portsmouth as my first choice and Kingston University as my second choice.

I really want to go to University of Portsmouth however I'm really not sure if I would get the grades because it's a really tough one to call. Therefore, because of this I don't want to confirm an accommodation to a university then decline it after I've given my advance.

Will I still get an accommodation after results day or is this something I have to do before and give advance before.

I don't want to rush things and say if I don't get the grades for Portsmouth, I'll have to choose accommodation at Kingston so yeah anyone in the same boat or has experience in this?

Thank You :biggrin:
Original post by Dsmile123
Hello,

I don't really have a favourite accommodation as I'm fine with the accommodations at my unis. I've chosen University of Portsmouth as my first choice and Kingston University as my second choice.

I really want to go to University of Portsmouth however I'm really not sure if I would get the grades because it's a really tough one to call. Therefore, because of this I don't want to confirm an accommodation to a university then decline it after I've given my advance.

Will I still get an accommodation after results day or is this something I have to do before and give advance before.

I don't want to rush things and say if I don't get the grades for Portsmouth, I'll have to choose accommodation at Kingston so yeah anyone in the same boat or has experience in this?

You need to apply by the accommodation deadline listed by the university in order to have a chance to get into halls. Apply later and the chances are you won't get a room at all. Its also first come first served in Portsmouth. Universities are used to applicants applying who then don't get a place.
What you normally do is apply before results for your firm (and sometimes insurance depending on uni) but they won't allocate accommodation until after results day when they know who is coming. Normally the deadline to be guaranteed halls is before results day though as many unis only guarantee to those who firm them as they have a lack of halls.
Reply 3
Oh right I have given my details and my first, second and third halls prefrences online for both universities. They've sent me a confirmation email and what do I do now just wait till they give me a room?
Oh right I have given my details and my first, second and third halls prefrences online for both universities. They've sent me a confirmation email and what do I do now just wait till they give me a room?

Yes. They will contact you at some point between now and September to say if you have a room or not.
Reply 5
Oh right that's great then haha thanks
Hello,

Btw if you get are unfortunate to not go to your firm choice and decide to go to your insurance which is kingston they dont have a first come first serve they look at how far u live from the uni and determine a place at halls by that :smile:

Spoiler

Hi there,
I can not speak for Portsmouth, but certainly here at Kingston we would highly recommend you complete your accommodation options and send them to us by the deadlines set. We do not charge you anything until you have accepted your place formally -which we would not do until your place at Kingston is confirmed. If you do not request accommodation until after your place is confirmed you are reducing your chances of getting accommodation as we do not have enough for everyone unfortunately - it is quite competitive!

Good luck with your results, and if you have any further questions, do get back in touch.
Kind regards
Kerrie

Original post by Jazzosaurus
Btw if you get are unfortunate to not go to your firm choice and decide to go to your insurance which is kingston they dont have a first come first serve they look at how far u live from the uni and determine a place at halls by that :smile:

Spoiler

Hello,

As other people have said you will need to apply by the deadline whatever you do room in a self catering in the centre of town the student village is huge but you don't really have much as social life I found that the QMQM tower rooms were huge but your pretty far out of town and many nights you will just spend in the Langstone village bar you may get to town maybe once a week but nowhere ear as much as you'd like.
(I was at Portsmouth for a term before I left togo to another uni the next year)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending