The Student Room Group

Someone help! need advice desperately!

My AS results were not as good as I expected so when I got to A2 I didn't apply to uni at the start of the year like everyone else. I thought since I'm going to be retaking most of my AS as well as doing my A2 exams I wouldn't be doing as great, so I thought I would improve my AS results this year and do decent in my A2's and then retake my A2 exams by retaking the year. However I thought most of my exams went well and I might get pretty good results in august. I am really worried about what I will be doing next year, I don't have a job and I can't go uni because I didn't apply. What do I do?! Help please
Reply 1
I think if you do well in your exams then just apply to uni in September like everyone else in the year below, and then you'll know that you've got the grades to get in and you're bound to get unconditional offers. I know people who were in the year above me who firstly got declined from Cambridge, but got the results that Cambridge wanted in A2 anyway, so they just reapplied and then got an unconditional from Cambridge! If I were you I'd do the same, what have you got to loose? :smile:
Original post by Bricktop
My AS results were not as good as I expected so when I got to A2 I didn't apply to uni at the start of the year like everyone else. I thought since I'm going to be retaking most of my AS as well as doing my A2 exams I wouldn't be doing as great, so I thought I would improve my AS results this year and do decent in my A2's and then retake my A2 exams by retaking the year. However I thought most of my exams went well and I might get pretty good results in august. I am really worried about what I will be doing next year, I don't have a job and I can't go uni because I didn't apply. What do I do?! Help please

You could give clearing a shot if you're desperate to go to uni, otherwise take a Gap Year and apply to uni then. In your year out, do what you want - get a job, work abroad, volunteer etc - there's lots of ideas on the Official Thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Butterfly9595
You could give clearing a shot if you're desperate to go to uni, otherwise take a Gap Year and apply to uni then. In your year out, do what you want - get a job, work abroad, volunteer etc - there's lots of ideas on the Official Thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I go through clearing even if I haven't got a personal statement? Or a UCAS account. Just grades.
Original post by Izzie1996
I think if you do well in your exams then just apply to uni in September like everyone else in the year below, and then you'll know that you've got the grades to get in and you're bound to get unconditional offers. I know people who were in the year above me who firstly got declined from Cambridge, but got the results that Cambridge wanted in A2 anyway, so they just reapplied and then got an unconditional from Cambridge! If I were you I'd do the same, what have you got to loose? :smile:

When people do that who does their reference etc??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bricktop
Can I go through clearing even if I haven't got a personal statement? Or a UCAS account. Just grades.

You probably have to create both of these, but I think it is possible - I don't know anything about it, but I would check it out and do some research

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Slim Shady 96
When people do that who does their reference etc??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not 100% sure although I'm pretty sure that you can still go back to your school to help, possibly even keep the same references, I know people in the year above me who've had to come back to have a chat with teachers etc, they're still there to help with stuff like that I'm sure
I'm not 100% sure although I'm pretty sure that you can still go back to your school to help, possibly even keep the same references, I know people in the year above me who've had to come back to have a chat with teachers etc, they're still there to help with stuff like that I'm sure

Do you've to go to the school you did your a levels or can you go to your secondary one?? Cause my secondary school is like one of the best schools in the area/county so better reference/chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I should think that you'd have to go to the place that you did your a levels in, as I guess they'd be the only people who could actually comment on you with regards to a levels, but I may be wrong.
I should think that you'd have to go to the place that you did your a levels in, as I guess they'd be the only people who could actually comment on you with regards to a levels, but I may be wrong.

Ahh okay, how do universities like surrey/Bristol/Nottingham feel about re-sits? I know some don't take you if you did your a levels in 3 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure that if you were to re-sit then those universities would be understanding of why you did, at the end of the day you would probably get better results, I do know of people who retook a year and went to Bristol so I wouldn't worry about it. I suppose you could drop them an email which could be helpful to ease your worries about it

Quick Reply

Latest