The Student Room Group

Condom percentage of failure

If condoms are only 97% effective and people use them at what percentage would you draw the line and say no. I'm not going to use condoms. This is under the assumption a condom is the only form of contraceptive available.

So at what percentage would you say I'm not having sex as the chance of failure is too high.

Scroll to see replies

anything lower than 95-99%
Reply 2
But what you need to consider is that the 1-3% are the 'tards who put it on inside out or stretch it on hard so it breaks. They were just too ashamed to admit it on a survey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
But what you need to consider is that the 1-3% are the 'tards who put it on inside out or stretch it on hard so it breaks. They were just too ashamed to admit it on a survey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true. I've had condoms break on me loads, I think I must have some sort of anti condom vagina or something.
Original post by redferry
Not true. I've had condoms break on me loads, I think I must have some sort of anti condom vagina or something.

Don't use it then :P
I'm going to be honest and say it wouldn't put me off, I'd just go with pulling out Inb4 I get called an idiot despite the fact that most people would do the same, as history shows
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Don't use it then :P

What, my vagina???
If I were straight, I think below 90% would put me off. Like Tyrion, I might pull out quickly to give me some peace of mind even if it has no sound basis.
Even at a lower percentage, I'd just pull out to be honest and not bother with a condom in the first place.

Don't care who you are, it works if you understand what you are doing and aren't a kid.
Original post by Huskaris
Even at a lower percentage, I'd just pull out to be honest and not bother with a condom in the first place.

Don't care who you are, it works if you understand what you are doing and aren't a kid.

It reduces the chance definitely, but pre-cum is still an issue, as soon as you put it in the pre-cum already present can be enough to get the job done no matter how fast you pull out.
Rather not risk transmitting or picking up STIs tbh but that's just me
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
It reduces the chance definitely, but pre-cum is still an issue, as soon as you put it in the pre-cum already present can be enough to get the job done no matter how fast you pull out.

Pretty sure that's a myth.
Original post by Huskaris
Pretty sure that's a myth.

http://sexetc.org/info-center/post/can-you-get-pregnant-from-pre-cum/

Chances are very small, but it's possible and there have been claims to it in the past.

Best not to risk it.
(edited 9 years ago)
http://sexetc.org/info-center/post/can-you-get-pregnant-from-pre-cum/

Chances are very small, but it's possible and there have been claims to it in the past.

Best not to risk it.

Yeah I suppose. I'd look it up more, but I'm at work. And whilst there are many things I am prepared to do to waste time at work, I don't think that is one I could get away with on a screen this size. :biggrin:

Go for a piss first then there's nothing there..
I have had failures but then a guy always knows when it has blown. Girls dont let anyone fool you otherwise. Generally though, they work. It depends on the situation. For example i was once with a very petite oriental cutie. She was very tight and toned and as im reasonably well endowed, just as i orgasmed,i felt the end split.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'm going to be honest and say it wouldn't put me off, I'd just go with pulling out Inb4 I get called an idiot despite the fact that most people would do the same, as history shows

Would it make a difference whether it was during a long term relationship or if it was a one time thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

The pull-out method is about as effective at preventing pregnancy as condoms when used correctly, of course it doesn't help to prevent catching/spreading STIs. Saying that I wouldn't rely on it myself personally, it could go wrong very easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA
Would it make a difference whether it was during a long term relationship or if it was a one time thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm in a long term relationship. If it was a one time thing I dunno, I've never had one so I can't comment
According to PEARL, if 100 women having regular sex for a year use only condoms, around 15 of them will fall pregnant in that year.

However, that doesn't take account of the way that they are used. With "perfect use", the figure becomes 2/100 women pregnant per year. Bear in mind though, most people will assume they fall into the "perfect use" category, yet the actual figures show them false. Have you got a reason to believe you'll use condoms perfectly when it obviously isn't that usual to do so? I couldn't even say which criteria constitute "perfect" use.

Personally, I think condoms clearly aren't suitable as an alone contraceptive if you are having regular sex over a length of time. As someone said, in comparison to using "pulling out" as your sole method of contraception, condoms are only slightly more effective.

There is a decent (if small) chance of pregnancy using condoms alone, and where I have friends or acquaintances who seem quite sensible, yet still end up accidentally pregnant - it's always that they've used a single method of contraception, usually condoms sometimes the pill.

Here's a wiki about PEARL

Looking at the table I would only use a "blue" rated contraception alone. Otherwise I would combine hormonal and barrier. If barrier was the only contraceptive available to me, I would combine with rhythm method or pulling out.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending