The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Applying from overseas w/ overseas degree, but a British national [Oxbridge]

Hi. I'm a British national with dual citizenship for Australia, in my final year of study in an engineering degree at Adelaide University. I'm fairly well on track for first class honours and managed to land a pretty cool final year project in an area that interests me, so I've been thinking I'd like to apply for postgrad study at Oxford or Cambridge for 2015.

There seem to be a huge amount of different ways for me to apply since I can apply as an Australian citizen and also theoretically as a British citizen, although residing outside Britain for 4 years might be a problem for that. As an Australian citizen, I could try for a Rhodes Scholarship or for an Oxford Australia Scholarship + Clarendon Scholarship (or possibly both, I'm not sure). Not entirely sure about the rules for applying to both Oxford and Cambridge if you're international, but Cambridge also has some scholarships for Australian students. As a British citizen, I'm not really sure what my options are for studying as a local student and there isn't really anyone here to ask. Obviously this route makes more sense because I wouldn't need to get a scholarship to avoid getting hit with huge fees, but I'd be interested to hear what people know about which entrance route would give me the best chances of acceptance, which are/aren't possible, what local scholarships are available, etc.

Thanks for your time.

PS When you're applying for postgrad study in the UK am I right in remembering you typically do a research Master's before a research PhD? The way it's done here at least for engineering is you finish your 4 year Bachelor's and apply to do a research PhD, but it gets 'downgraded' into a Master's if you realise the research project was smaller than it seemed and will only take a couple of years. I think you can also do a Master's by coursework.
Reply 1
Original post by t.arcs
There seem to be a huge amount of different ways for me to apply since I can apply as an Australian citizen and also theoretically as a British citizen, although residing outside Britain for 4 years might be a problem for that.

Your student status in the UK is based on the length your UK residency and not your nationality. In order to be considered a Home/UK student, you would have had to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course. At present, you will be considered an International student for all UK university study, fees, funding etc.

As a British citizen, I'm not really sure what my options are for studying as a local student

This is not an option for you unless you move back to the UK now and apply for university study in three years' time. You also must have moved to the UK for purposes other than education, so you'd need to move here in order to take up a job offer, or follow your family here.

PS When you're applying for postgrad study in the UK am I right in remembering you typically do a research Master's before a research PhD?

It really depends on your field.

In the Humanities, then yes you will normally be expected either to have a Masters in a field related to your PhD topic, or to have relevant professional experience equivalent to this. In STEM subjects it's more common to move straight from undergrad to PhD, although I understand that this route is becoming less common.

The way it's done here at least for engineering is you finish your 4 year Bachelor's and apply to do a research PhD, but it gets 'downgraded' into a Master's if you realise the research project was smaller than it seemed and will only take a couple of years.

Here, you can apply for a "1+3" PhD in which the first year is usually the equivalent of a Masters degree. I'm not sure how easy it is to divorce the Masters element from the PhD and stop after the first year. Largely these will be based in a Doctoral Training Centre and you would applying for a research project which will be planned for the full length of the research period to begin with.

In my field (Humanities) if a stand-alone project proves unsuitable for a full-length PhD, you're generally allowed to complete earlier with an MPhil if the work is of sufficient academic quality.

I think you can also do a Master's by coursework.

If you consider a stand-alone UK Masters, you can do a taught Masters or a research Masters. The former is based on coursework/exams with an independent project usually forming one-third of your final grade. The latter will probably include a small taught element (usually around research skills) but will mainly consist of an independent research project.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
As above, you're most likely be classed as an overseas student, regardless of citizenship. Here's the official link: http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/fees/information/feestatus/

Oh, and you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge at postgrad level, as each university runs its own, independent admissions process.
If you have not lived/worked in Britain for over 4 years you will be classed as an overseas student and be liable to pay higher overseas fees. Be aware that most 'International' scholarships etc are aimed at those from developing countries- ie, you have perfectly good Unis at home you could go to, they may not. Also, despite your British citizenship not allowing you Home fees, the fact that you are a dual citizen will count you out of many scholarship schemes aimed at International students.

Unless there is a genuine academic reason for you to need to study here (you want to study British history in Britain as an example) then you would be better off staying in Australia - you wont get a 'better' degree in the UK. There is a great deal of unjustified snob value about Oxbridge but it doesn't guarantee you instant happiness or a longer life. A Masters from Melbourne, Sydney or ANU will be just as good. I speak as an academic with the same two passports and University teaching experience in both countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending