The Student Room Group

HELP! Just arrived in London from Los Angeles and now my views on uni has changed!

Please help!

I'm from Los Angeles and I've been accepted to University of Westminster, University of the Arts London (LCC MA Advertising), Royal Holloway, University of East Anglia, University of Aberdeen and University of Birmingham.

(all of the other unis are for Msc Marketing)

At first UAL was my top choice, it wasn't until I did research on student life/social life that I thought a "campus setting" would be a better fit. A few days ago I got an offer from University of Birmingham which changed everything. I thought it was a game changer because it had a campus and was a russell group uni which has a lot of respect and job opportunities.

I just landed in London about 8 hours ago for the first time and so far two Londoners have asked why I thought Birmingham was a good choice? They implied how boring it was and how if I'm coming to the UK, London is where I need to be. These were two random people, one at UK Boarder who suggested UAL because it was in London, the other around Camden Lock suggested Royal Holloway because its near London and is most respected of them all.

This has really thrown me off because they made it seem like it was a bad choice? In the U.S college ranking is everything so I figured, Bham being a russell group uni, would be a better option.

Please provide me with your honest opinions on which uni is most reputable and how I should go about deciding?

Long term goal: I know its difficult but I plan to eventually move to the UK and I want to have made a good choice in Uni.

Thank You!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh also, I've always wanted to live in England and University of Birmingham is the only uni that offered me a 24month Msc so was delighted at the prospect of being able to have a longer stay in England rather than just 1 year.
Reply 2
America will be wayyyy better then the UK, anywhere here will feel worse :tongue:

Anyway as for Birmingham compared to London, it's not as bad as those guys are making out, if anything it's cheaper and student nights in Birmingham are pretty good.
Birmingham is definitely not a bad choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would you even consider taking the view of two Londoners (who, for all you know, may never have visited any of the other cities you are talking about) over your own research? Go for the university offering the course that you want to study. Anyone who suggests to you that all universities in London are better than all universities outside London are talking nonsense. Birmingham is an excellent university, in Britain's second largest city, of course you should consider its offer very seriously.

I don't understand why you haven't had to make a firm choice yet, but if you haven't, take the time now to visit all your choices and decide where YOU want to study.
Personally, I think that all of your options sound reasonable, birmingham is nice, london is nice. Just visit them all properly and get a feel for where feels most like 'where you belong' as cliche as it sounds.
Original post by mbaker18
Please help!

I'm from Los Angeles and I've been accepted to University of Westminster, University of the Arts London (LCC MA Advertising), Royal Holloway, University of East Anglia, University of Aberdeen and University of Birmingham.

(all of the other unis are for Msc Marketing)

At first UAL was my top choice, it wasn't until I did research on student life/social life that I thought a "campus setting" would be a better fit. A few days ago I got an offer from University of Birmingham which changed everything. I thought it was a game changer because it had a campus and was a russell group uni which has a lot of respect and job opportunities.

I just landed in London about 8 hours ago for the first time and so far two Londoners have asked why I thought Birmingham was a good choice? They implied how boring it was and how if I'm coming to the UK, London is where I need to be. These were two random people, one at UK Boarder who suggested UAL because it was in London, the other around Camden Lock suggested Royal Holloway because its near London and is most respected of them all.

This has really thrown me off because they made it seem like it was a bad choice? In the U.S college ranking is everything so I figured, Bham being a russell group uni, would be a better option.

Please provide me with your honest opinions on which uni is most reputable and how I should go about deciding?

Long term goal: I know its difficult but I plan to eventually move to the UK and I want to have made a good choice in Uni.

Thank You!

Holloway is good; birmingham is good and UEA is good - the rest I wouldn't give tuppence for.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

It is always wise to do your research before you arrive
Reply 6
Original post by bad8oy
America will be wayyyy better then the UK, anywhere here will feel worse :tongue:

Anyway as for Birmingham compared to London, it's not as bad as those guys are making out, if anything it's cheaper and student nights in Birmingham are pretty good.
Birmingham is definitely not a bad choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

America is not just LA or New York like you idiots see in the movies.

Thank You!

What you need to remember is that Londoners, by and large, are in love with London and cannot conceive of living or studying elsewhere. A little like (and if you will excuse me) those Americans who think that London = England.

Millions of Brits happily live, study and have great careers outside of London. Much to the total bemusement of said Londoners.

By the way, Birmingham is absolutely fine.
I don't think you've made a bad choice. The University of Birmingham is great. Obviously Londoners are going to have a bias towards London universities because that's what Londoners are like.
Personally I'd choose Birmingham over London every time. I love Birmingham's city, the shops, the Christmas market, the canals and the very centralness of the place. According to the league tables (*usual disclaimers about the unreliability of league tables) Birmingham and UEA are streets ahead of Royal Holloway. I also (having lived in London for 5 years) dislike London just as much as Londoners love it.

But that's me, just neutralising what your border control person told you. You need to visit the universities and decide what it is that you want in a university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by PC2852
America is not just LA or New York like you idiots see in the movies.

Salaries are higher, living costs are cheaper, the shops are better, and the girls are better. Lol would rather live in LA or New York over any place in England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students of London unis tend to have to live far out of the city when they dont have accommodation in the uni, and as such tend to commute longer which is a feature in lower student satisfaction scores in surveys. B'ham is a well respected uni and will have a more community feel.

Worth bearing in mind B'ham is only a train ride from London for a weekend etc!

Its all personal preference, first thing I did when deciding uni is cross everything off the list that is in London, other people only choose between London ones. Look at the courses, the one you choose is gonna be waaaaay more important than the city you are in.
Reply 12
Original post by bad8oy
Salaries are higher, living costs are cheaper, the shops are better, and the girls are better. Lol would rather live in LA or New York over any place in England.

Posted from TSR Mobile

New York. Living costs cheaper. What the **** have you been smoking?

Have you ever actually visited New York or LA? Maybe you should before saying they're better than any place in the UK. Personally I'd live in London over LA any day.
Well in terms of cost of living, it is a lot cheaper to live in Birmingham than London. Also in terms of the city itself, Birmingham is the second biggest UK city, I think a lot of people in the UK under rate the university of Birmingham for whatever reason, but it is quite an old university and has quite a good reputation.

My advice would be go for the one you prefer, don't try to listen to others too much, make the decision yourself :smile: At the end of the day, your going to be the one living/studying there, no one else.

Thank You!
Lol, you're in a panic based on advice from some bored passport checker at immigration and some random you met on Camden locks.

Birmingham and RH would be the most 'respected' of that lot. personally I don't think uni rankings mean that much - most of the teenagers on TSR are obsessed with it, make of that what you will. Especially for a masters I really think that all ought to be subordinate to where is good for the subject you want to study.

Birmingham would be my choice out of all of those - it's much easier and cheaper to be a student in a mid sized city than in London. Yes, it's true that depending on what job you want to do there are more opportunities in London. But there's no reason you can't move after university is finished. For many areas of work you may decide to just stay in Birmingham.

Original post by just a dad
What you need to remember is that Londoners, by and large, are in love with London and cannot conceive of living or studying elsewhere.
The cynical side of me thinks that pretending that London is some sort of urban paradise and the rest of the UK is a zombie filled wasteland makes paying thousands of quid to live in a re-purposed cupboard in zone seven seem less bleak.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bad8oy

Posted from TSR Mobile

L.A and New York do not represent America. Just like London and Birmingham don't represent England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about Detroit? Fancy living there?
Reply 17
Original post by just a dad
How about Detroit? Fancy living there?

No, just as I wouldn't fancy living in Swansea or Bradford lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Moonstruck16
L.A and New York do not represent America. Just like London and Birmingham don't represent England.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in manchester and only really spend time in Birmingham, and been to London quite a few times. So for me these cities are my representation of the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Londoners often tend to think every city in the UK is **** other than London! Bham is great city, at least visit it and make your own opinion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending