The Student Room Group

Midwifery - Don't know if I'll get in because of GCSE Science?

I didn't do so well in GCSE Science. The Uni's I've looked through want a C in GCSE Science. I did double award and biology was great, I sat higher papers in year 10 and 11 and got B's on both, got a C overall in Year 10, but year 11 I got messed about a lot with teachers, we got swapped around, teachers went on leave and it was all over the place so my chemistry and physics let me down so I got a D in additional science. Saying a C in Science at GCSE I may get rejected because of this? However I'm doing A2 Sociology and some Uni's state Science grade C unless inherent in a current course of study. Would this count being a social science? Looking for some opinions really, although I've emailed Hull & Birmingham. My only other option I think is to do a foundation year but I will definitely exceed the entry requirements for a foundation apart from my GCSE science if that will get me rejected :frown: Thanks
So you got a c overall in science? Most unis I've looked at want a c or above. Also I went to the brighton open day the other day and the mentor doing the talk mentioned that sociology is accepted as science.

Sure you will be fine! Xx
Reply 2
Midwifery is very very competitive and difficult to get into. You will need a c in maths and science plus bbb and above in a levels and also care experience. A lot of students I know also made applications to do adult nursing as well which isn't as competitive as midwifery, just for something to fall back on.
But if its something you really want to do just go for it!
Reply 3
If you apply for nursing as well as midwifery in the same cycle most midwifery tutors/admissions will give you a straight unsuccessful, they say it doesn't show commitment to midwifery.

Plus you need to make the PS totally geared towards midwifery, it's this that is what determines whether you get an invite to interview.

I think any science will do, the biology should cover it. Admissions are the best people to ask x
Reply 4
Original post by Chrissiep
So you got a c overall in science? Most unis I've looked at want a c or above. Also I went to the brighton open day the other day and the mentor doing the talk mentioned that sociology is accepted as science.

Sure you will be fine! Xx

Erm I did double award so its 2 seperate grades on my certificate, C in core and D in additional

Original post by Rednov8
Midwifery is very very competitive and difficult to get into. You will need a c in maths and science plus bbb and above in a levels and also care experience. A lot of students I know also made applications to do adult nursing as well which isn't as competitive as midwifery, just for something to fall back on.
But if its something you really want to do just go for it!

Original post by Wozza1973
If you apply for nursing as well as midwifery in the same cycle most midwifery tutors/admissions will give you a straight unsuccessful, they say it doesn't show commitment to midwifery.

Plus you need to make the PS totally geared towards midwifery, it's this that is what determines whether you get an invite to interview.

I think any science will do, the biology should cover it. Admissions are the best people to ask x

I've sent some more admissions departments an email and have found three unis that do Midwifery with the foundation year which is CDD to get into with direct entry on to midwifery after the foundation year, although these are also very competitive so I don't think all doors are closed for me here in regards to not achieving as well at GCSE. For care experience - I've currently got placements at antenatal classes, breastfeeding support and shadowing a health visitor. I think it would be unfair for me to apply for adult nursing as that isn't where my passion and interests lie, I would be doing something I'm not interested in in the first place and potentially taking a place from someone who actually wants to do adult nursing. Hopefully my PS will reflect my interest for midwifery. :smile:
Reply 5
Thats really good, I didn't know they did those courses. I hope you get a place good luck x
Reply 6
I want to be a midwife too! I'm 16 though so just finished my gcses. I don't want anything below an A but i'll accept a B :l because i know how hard it is to get into Midwifery. Its very competitive. My sister passed her GCSEs with many A's and she didn't get accepted. Its a competition. Many other people want to be it and if they have a higher Grade than you.. will they pick you or the other? The other. Its harsh i know and i also had a teacher problem. My teacher was just stupid so i made sure i wasn't dependent and revised my ass of for the exams. I'm a little scared though. I knew everything in 100% detail and i was like a geek. People used to come and ask me for held bcuz our teacher was useless. However the Biology exam this year was BS. Past papers i'd get A* but this exam made me want to cry :cry2:
I have already started revising for A levels even though i start in a few months. You need to get good grades otherwise they won't accept you. Do voluntary work. And also Uni's are not really looking for young ones wanting to be a Midwife. They usually accept the olders. They said this when i went to a Hospital pregnancy ward opening day. So just do loooads of Voluntary work. Doesn't have to be related to midwifery. I worked with kids, and now with the elderly who have Dementia. You need to prepare yourself for it. Boost your communication skill, team working and leadership skills. But i'm guessing you're 18 right? So you can probably do voluntary work in Hospitals. Try apprenticeship if you don't get accepted. Also read books about it. I read this book about a 15 year old wanting to be a midwife. And she just tells her story of how she became one. What did she do etc.. She done work with people with mental issues, pregnant prisoners etc etc.. Can't remember the name of the book though :s-smilie:

Sorry for going off topic :lol:
Basically get yourself ready. Truth is you'll probably not get accepted. Not only bcuz of ur grades but because they don't like to accept the young ones.
Good luck though! x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iJess
I didn't do so well in GCSE Science. The Uni's I've looked through want a C in GCSE Science. I did double award and biology was great, I sat higher papers in year 10 and 11 and got B's on both, got a C overall in Year 10, but year 11 I got messed about a lot with teachers, we got swapped around, teachers went on leave and it was all over the place so my chemistry and physics let me down so I got a D in additional science. Saying a C in Science at GCSE I may get rejected because of this? However I'm doing A2 Sociology and some Uni's state Science grade C unless inherent in a current course of study. Would this count being a social science? Looking for some opinions really, although I've emailed Hull & Birmingham. My only other option I think is to do a foundation year but I will definitely exceed the entry requirements for a foundation apart from my GCSE science if that will get me rejected :frown: Thanks

How old are you? If you have some problems because of the Science then I can recommend doing an Access course if you don't find a foundation one. :smile: People in my class got into midwifery, adult, mental health and child so Access sounds like a great base for all these degrees. These are people who didn't get enough Level 3 qualifications (me), who don't have GCSEs or who haven't been to school for years.

Stay positive!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by roachesandratsx
How old are you? If you have some problems because of the Science then I can recommend doing an Access course if you don't find a foundation one. :smile: People in my class got into midwifery, adult, mental health and child so Access sounds like a great base for all these degrees. These are people who didn't get enough Level 3 qualifications (me), who don't have GCSEs or who haven't been to school for years.

Stay positive!! :biggrin:

Thanks, I'm 18, will be 19 when I finish so as far as I'm aware I wouldn't get funding to do an access course :frown:
Original post by iJess
Thanks, I'm 18, will be 19 when I finish so as far as I'm aware I wouldn't get funding to do an access course :frown:

Ah yes, that's a good point. You will also have a full Level 3 qualification, I got away with that by being on JSA though. Didn't have to pay a penny. Hope you find a way into Midwifery somehow!
Reply 10
Original post by roachesandratsx
Ah yes, that's a good point. You will also have a full Level 3 qualification, I got away with that by being on JSA though. Didn't have to pay a penny. Hope you find a way into Midwifery somehow!

Yeah I'm hoping strong personal statement and strong work experience will be good for my application :smile:
It's the opposite at my Uni, they have way more students straight from A levels and the mature students tend to apply 2/3/4 times before getting an offer x
(edited 9 years ago)
hi
when i started college i did level 2 health and social care i have now completed it and got a good grade. This year is my second year of college now and i am doing btec level 3 health and social care and hoping to do extended diploma in this subject next year too. I really want to do midwifery when i go into uni but i have only got maths and RE at grade c dont laugh i got d in chemistry, d in biology only 1 mark away from a c i got ict diploma level 1/2 pass grade i got d in english. I am very worried will i even get into uni. I am doing gcse english at college and taking the exam at the end of the year now, and i am hoping i can do gcse science at the college. I was wondering will i get into midwery or adult nursing?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest