The Student Room Group

How do I go to Uni?

Totally clueless to this and slightly confused.

I'm 21, have no qualifications except GCSE's (if that counts, I don't know) and basically dropped out of school after year 11. All this time I have been working but I really want to get back into studies. My question is... How would I be able to go to University? Is there steps I would need to take for instance go back to college or something?

Your advice and guidence will help a lot!

many thanks
Original post by Santz92

I'm 21, have no qualifications except GCSE's (if that counts, I don't know) and basically dropped out of school after year 11. All this time I have been working but I really want to get back into studies. My question is... How would I be able to go to University? Is there steps I would need to take for instance go back to college or something?

many thanks

Best course would be to enrol in college to get some A levels or apply for an access course or try to get onto a foundation degree
Reply 2
Original post by Santz92

many thanks

If you have a vast amount of experience in your chosen degree subject then your university of choice might decide to give you an offer because you are a mature student.

Your best bet is an access course as it only takes one year to complete and will get you into many universities. You also have the opportunity to complete A levels, BTEC level 3 etc because it is your first time studying at level 3 so this wouldn't cost you.
I'm a 44 year old mature student starting a radiography degree in September at Bradford uni. I got in by doing the Access to Higher Education course at Macclesfield college, this course is funded by a 24+ Learning Loan of about £3.5K, if you go on to complete a degree then the loan is wiped out.
When I started my UCAS application it really helped that I have life experience which looked very good on my personal statement (The single most important thing about getting into uni!), my tutor at college wrote a fantastic reference for me and I was offered interviews at all 5 universities I applied for. I went for interviews at Canterbury, Bristol and Bradford. After visiting Bradford I was blown away by the place, it's very modern and up to date, they made made an offer 5 days later which I accepted and cancelled the other 4 applications (So I have no idea if I would have got in). Was offered interviews by Derby and Cardiff but declined after accepting the Bradford offer.
As you are only 21 there's a strong possibility you won't have to pay for an access course though the rules change every year so it's worth getting in touch with your local college and seeing what they have to offer.
Whatever you end up doing, good luck!
Go to your local college for 2 years and do A-Levels like everyone else.
get into one of those access to higher education courses.
Reply 6
Access Course is definitely the way to go for you. They run them at almost every college too.
Do you know what you want to do? As everyone's said above, Access course at your local college is probably your best place to start, although you may be able to do A levels instead/as well - Student Services staff are usually really good at providing advice, even if you're not sure what you want to do.
Have you decided on a course? Because it's all good deciding to study again but if you don't know what you want to do you'll get nowhere.
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice everyone, seems like everyone's telling me to check out Access Courses which is what I'll do. Can anyone point me in the right direction with a good solid link where I can find out info on Access Courses? And I'm looking to do a Business Management course
Where do you live? Your local college is the best place to start, talk to their student services unit.
See if you can arrange an appointment with a local college that offers access courses and go through your options with them.
Original post by Santz92

many thanks

i highly reccomend doing an access course it's only 1 year as opposed to the alevels which is 2 years. the access course is more flexible so if you continue working you can also study. only draw back is if you want to apply for competitive courses like the science the unis will prefer a levels over the access course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending