The Student Room Group

Age differences in Relationships?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kayleighisonfire
Well her dad wanted to kill him (which I can see why) I'm guessing there were comments made about them but they're still together now and they love each other and to me that's all that matters.

14 or 15 can't remember but it's one of them.

Sorry that's disgusting and illegal 34 and 14 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it was between 1-2 years. I just seem to find them easier to talk to than someone older, I also don't feel my age which doesn't help :rolleyes:

Ah kk :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Well her dad wanted to kill him (which I can see why) I'm guessing there were comments made about them but they're still together now and they love each other and to me that's all that matters.

14 or 15 can't remember but it's one of them.

Sorry, but that's kinda dodgy.:eek:
Original post by daindian
Sorry that's disgusting and illegal 34 and 14 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not illegal unless it was sexual
Original post by Cobbler
Sorry, but that's kinda dodgy.:eek:

Well that's your opinion.
There's old rule half your age plus 7.
Fiancé is 27 years older than me. I've been with men of a similar age to me (within five years), and men with still quite large age gaps (within fifteen years), but couldn't imagine being with anyone other than my partner, regardless of how old he is. The older you get, the quicker you realise you've got more important things to worry about than the age gap between people.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I think 15 years+ is...notable. But I don't have any strong feelings either way.

I am slightly concerned however that despite getting older I'm still yet to fancy a guy over the age of 30. I hope this changes or I'm doomed.

Doomed I tell you!
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Fiancé is 27 years older than me. I've been with men of a similar age to me (within five years), and men with still quite large age gaps (within fifteen years), but couldn't imagine being with anyone other than my partner, regardless of how old he is. The older you get, the quicker you realise you've got more important things to worry about than the age gap between people.

What you gonna do when he dies then?
A LOT of women I've talked to have stated their interest in dating older men, this range usually can go from 10 to even 20 years older than themselves.. I personally find this crazy.
Original post by Arithmeticae
what I have learned from these types of threads is that not many people go younger

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've gathered a lot of women like older men though, which I stated in my other post, so if you look at it this way, when you're older you will have more chance with younger women..I'm guessing.. :colondollar:
Reply 50
If you like somebody, you like somebody. I personally don't care so long as it is legal and above board. It's kind of stupid, from a dating pool thing, to restrict yourself of potential partners because of arbitrary reasons is silly. I'm sure as hell when I'm in my 40s, I'm not going to find someone my own age or older more attractive than a 21-year-old in her prime unless she's one of the few exceptions that looks much younger than she really is.

Most people do get paranoid about it though. One guy I know has a rep for being a "paedo" because he went out with a girl who was about 5 years younger than him. He's 25; she's 20. It doesn't even make sense.
Reply 51
I think if we are 'mentally' the same age then actual age matters little. For me, this would probably mean someone younger. :colonhash:
After trying this big age gaps type relationship I think generally it is a bad idea not really due to age in itself but with age you also tend to be at different stages in life or have significantly different expectations on stuff.
I actually feel very weird dating people my own age, I'd go for a preference of 4 or 5 years older than me (with me being 17). Though i've dated guys much older it's always been too intense on their side! So whilst I don't think age gaps of 10 years etc are 'wrong' I just think these relationships are hard to maintain.
Original post by Tabris
If you like somebody, you like somebody. I personally don't care so long as it is legal and above board. It's kind of stupid, from a dating pool thing, to restrict yourself of potential partners because of arbitrary reasons is silly. I'm sure as hell when I'm in my 40s, I'm not going to find someone my own age or older more attractive than a 21-year-old in her prime unless she's one of the few exceptions that looks much younger than she really is.

Most people do get paranoid about it though. One guy I know has a rep for being a "paedo" because he went out with a girl who was about 5 years younger than him. He's 25; she's 20. It doesn't even make sense.

I think the whole age gap branding such as him being called a peado just goes how stupid and immature some people are as long as it's legal it shouldn't matter, I'll never understand some people's menatilty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had someone 14 years older than me ask me out. I'm closer to his oldest child's age, which makes the whole thing wrong.
25 and male here.

I don't really have a problem with age gaps, I'm more bothered about how a girl fits with the lifestyle I want.

Since I'm not massively looking for marriage and babies ( but open to it)..

Sweet spot: 22-29
Open: 18-29
ONS: 16-39
Reply 57
Original post by MrEFeynman
I know some of the younger members views on here are still a little green, when it comes to the subject of relationships and significant age differences (4 years plus, for example).

I'd like to see, what the majority of the more emotionally mature TSR'ians views are when it comes to relationships in which there is a significant age difference between the two individuals involved.

Why are you implying that emotional maturity = being more accepting of a large age difference?

I don't think anything above 7 or 10 years is a "significant" age difference myself, but, above that, there can definitely be problems caused specifically by that - both people may very well be at different stages in their life.

But if someone personally doesn't want to date anyone not within about a 5-year age gap that's their choice. It may well work out easier for them, especially if theyr'e looking for a serious long-term relationship: all else being equal, chances are you'll relate more to someone around your age. No need to tar everyone who doesn't share your particular viewpoint as being "green".
Original post by simplylldxo
I say about 25 years maximum in terms of age gap, anything above that is creepy!

So a 20 year old dating a 45 year old man is fine with you :eek::eek:
I have always been told to settle down with a woman that is at least five to ten years younger and I can see why tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending