The Student Room Group

Studying in London compared to studying outside of London

I have firmed a course in London, however, I'm worried about the social side of things. I want to go to university to enjoy having the connections and friendships evident on shows such as 'The Secret Life of Students', however I fear that in London things are different. Campuses are spread, and so is accommodation, is the social life of a student in London different to that of one outside of London, please share your experiences and opinions.
Reply 1
In London universities nobody gets along really
Reply 2
Original post by Kumis
In London universities nobody gets along really

Why?
Good luck living on your student loan, lol.
I'm from London, but my firm is outside and my insurance is in London. I'm not too keen on staying in London because of personal reasons. Plus I don't even think London is that great... Sure it's got a good nightlife, but I reckon people who go to uni's outside of London to places that are much quieter, have better social lives as everything is smaller so people get to know each other easier and quicker.
Reply 5
Original post by Pussy Galore
Good luck living on your student loan, lol.

Lol why?!
Original post by Melon girl
Lol why?!

Because London is expensive lol
Lol why?!

y do u think

expensive thats why

blessed yute ur gonna hav fun dw
Reply 8
Original post by Novascope
Because London is expensive lol

y do u think

expensive thats why

Oh I'm fully aware, I live in London already. I'm really nervous about how I'm going to survive as I get such a small loan and it doesn't even cover my accommodation :frown:
Reply 9
I'm from London, but my firm is outside and my insurance is in London. I'm not too keen on staying in London because of personal reasons. Plus I don't even think London is that great... Sure it's got a good nightlife, but I reckon people who go to uni's outside of London to places that are much quieter, have better social lives as everything is smaller so people get to know each other easier and quicker.

What universities have you firmed and insured?
Oh I'm fully aware, I live in London already. I'm really nervous about how I'm going to survive as I get such a small loan and it doesn't even cover my accommodation :frown:

dw melon girl if your melons are really that spectacular you can get some money by taking them down to the market and doing a little dance
What universities have you firmed and insured?

Falmouth and Middlesex. I'm really not keen on going to Middlesex anymore.
Falmouth and Middlesex. I'm really not keen on going to Middlesex anymore.

Whys that?
dw melon girl if your melons are really that spectacular you can get some money by taking them down to the market and doing a little dance

Haha legs hope they pay my rent.
Whys that?

I personally don't like the uni anymore. Too common. I know loads of people who went and came out with just average jobs (I know that's the case for every uni), but it's a bit off putting not knowing anyone who's gone on to do anything great after graduating. It's too close to home (30 mins) and they haven't been in touch with me for months. I'm not sure if it's because they know they're my insurance, but I seriously haven't had an email or call from them to tell me about things since early this year. I think that's a little unprofessional, because say if I do have to go there, I have no idea about accommodation, finance, travel, my subject, student union/ambassadors etc. I've even tried getting in touch.
Haha legs hope they pay my rent.

oi oi
I personally don't like the uni anymore. Too common. I know loads of people who went and came out with just average jobs (I know that's the case for every uni), but it's a bit off putting not knowing anyone who's gone on to do anything great after graduating. It's too close to home (30 mins) and they haven't been in touch with me for months. I'm not sure if it's because they know they're my insurance, but I seriously haven't had an email or call from them to tell me about things since early this year. I think that's a little unprofessional, because say if I do have to go there, I have no idea about accommodation, finance, travel, my subject, student union/ambassadors etc. I've even tried getting in touch.

Oh that's no good really. My insurance have constantly been sending me emails and keeping in touch, as have my firm, Kings, so I'm really torn between the two. But I still think London universities have a positive element that others really lack. Maybe because they are more prestigious.
Anyone one else got any opinions about my original post?
Anyone one else got any opinions about my original post?

I feel the exact same way. Are you planning on living at home or on campus. Sure you will go out less often but you would save money if you live with your parents and they pay for the rent and you wouldnt need to bother about food that much. The downside is that you may not be able to go out as much if you live at home.
If you live on campus the prices of flats are crazy high and food costs more. And you can go out more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I feel the exact same way. Are you planning on living at home or on campus. Sure you will go out less often but you would save money if you live with your parents and they pay for the rent and you wouldnt need to bother about food that much. The downside is that you may not be able to go out as much if you live at home.
If you live on campus the prices of flats are crazy high and food costs more. And you can go out more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be living on campus. Purely because I want to be in the university experience as much as possible, I fear it will decrease as I'm in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending