The Student Room Group

Applying to university in America & Canada

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samual
Presumably for the same reason why most Americans can only name one British university - Oxford.

Harvard has built a brand around being the best, it doesn't actually matter if it's true or not. People remember that in films and TV shows 'Harvard' is always where the poor, working-class but brilliant student ends up going or where the esteemed professor teaches, so is it any wonder that so many people apply there?

I'm American. I have never had the desire to go to Harvard or Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayJay-C19
Sorry? I'll apply where I like, thanks. Can you not read? I named Harvard amongst others and I have family there so.

I can read just fine, thanks. I was just stating the fact that every thread I see about American schools names the ivy leagues as if there are no other options. I didn't say you shouldn't apply there. And family wise, my family owned some of the land the school is on, back before Harvard existed. That doesn't mean I need to go there or am entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Coffeetime
I can read just fine, thanks. I was just stating the fact that every thread I see about American schools names the ivy leagues as if there are no other options. I didn't say you shouldn't apply there. And family wise, my family owned some of the land the school is on, back before Harvard existed. That doesn't mean I need to go there or am entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I man is my family have recommended it to me and its slightly different owning the land and having relatives attending the college.
Original post by Coffeetime
I'm American. I have never had the desire to go to Harvard or Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're missing the point. :facepalm:
Reply 24
Original post by Samual
You're missing the point. :facepalm:

Tis painful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending