The Student Room Group

Unfairness in uni admission ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CAROLAL1
Alright I am an EU student so the process might be a little be different for me.
But this is what I experienced this year and I wanted your opinion.
I applied to UCL , Durham and St Andrews and was rejected by all of them. Now , I am aware entry is very competitive etc. but I can't see their reason for rejecting me . I was predicted higher grades than those required by the university , my personal statement was very good , to my teacher at least , and my reference too.
They said they had " more suitable applicants ". I hardly see it. I was predicted ( and gained ) a 95/100 ( A*AA), which is one of the highest scores .
I really need some feedback , I am heading to Kent but I plan to apply to other unis so I'd like to know how to avoid these sort of rejections.
Thank you :biggrin:

By the score, I am presuming this is the Italian Maturità. The fact of the matter is that A-Levels are preferred. They are less "risky" (in terms of predicitng future perfomance). 95/100 in the Maturità is extremely high and very hard to get, but let's face it, the Italian Maturità is not exactly highly regarded as it is seen as an "obesolete" system. Just in the same way that a 110 from 95% of Italian univerisites is seen as rubbish. I would bet you that you if you had applied with the equivalent A-Level grades, you would have received an offer from at least one of those univerisities.

If you absolutely want to go to one of those universities, and money is not a problem, do one of those International Foundation Programmes at a prestigious universitty and get a high score. The Mathematics and Physics is considerably easier than the level of the Italian Maturità, so getting a high score shouldn't be a problem. With that, most will lap you up no problem. Obviously this is all imho (but with the hindsight of experience).
Reply 21
Original post by All-in
By the score, I am presuming this is the Italian Maturità. The fact of the matter is that A-Levels are preferred. They are less "risky" (in terms of predicitng future perfomance). 95/100 in the Maturità is extremely high and very hard to get, but let's face it, the Italian Maturità is not exactly highly regarded as it is seen as an "obesolete" system. Just in the same way that a 110 from 95% of Italian univerisites is seen as rubbish. I would bet you that you if you had applied with the equivalent A-Level grades, you would have received an offer from at least one of those univerisities.

If you absolutely want to go to one of those universities, and money is not a problem, do one of those International Foundation Programmes at a prestigious universitty and get a high score. The Mathematics and Physics is considerably easier than the level of the Italian Maturità, so getting a high score shouldn't be a problem. With that, most will lap you up no problem. Obviously this is all imho (but with the hindsight of experience).

I actually have an offer for a Foundation Year at KCL but I would feel really bad asking my parents 12K for a program which cover maths and physics I already know and which is issued by the English Language Center and is aimed for students who don't have great knowledge of english.
I would also ran out of money for my postgrad studied and that means I would probably have to rely on government loans :eek:
Whereas maybe at Kent ( they gave me a scholarship ) I could try to reapply (?)

That being said would those universities consider the score from the foundation year instead of the maturità ?
I definitely agree with you , it is regarded as obsolete indeed , as my friends who applied for English Lit ( and constantly gained 10/10 during five years of HS ) was rejected by all unis she applied to.
OP, as others have said, starting at Kent then reapplying is foolish when Adjustment and Clearing are available to enable you to change uni and have a September start. Call up Birmingham, Warwick, Bath and Lancaster in the morning ( I know they are all top 10 for physics) and speak to other universities too about when/whether you can be considered, given you have your results already.
Reply 23
Original post by Crumpet1
OP, as others have said, starting at Kent then reapplying is foolish when Adjustment and Clearing are available to enable you to change uni and have a September start. Call up Birmingham, Warwick, Bath and Lancaster in the morning ( I know they are all top 10 for physics) and speak to other universities too about when/whether you can be considered, given you have your results already.

Yep starting Kent was the back up plan in case I can't find adjustment places:biggrin:
Unless something happens to change your application in some way, for example you resit some of the exams, then you are quite likely to face the exact same result in a new application. My advice is try adjustment if you are eligible (and I don't recall from the rest of the thread whether you have met and exceeded your firm offer or not) and if that isn't possible, settle for Kent, which is a perfectly good university and must have had something that appealed to you originally when you put it down.
Reply 25
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Unless something happens to change your application in some way, for example you resit some of the exams, then you are quite likely to face the exact same result in a new application. My advice is try adjustment if you are eligible (and I don't recall from the rest of the thread whether you have met and exceeded your firm offer or not) and if that isn't possible, settle for Kent, which is a perfectly good university and must have had something that appealed to you originally when you put it down.

I highly exceeded my offer from Kent :rolleyes: ( they asked me 86/100 ).
It wouldn't be worth resitting exams because it would be impossible to get an higher mark than that :frown:
I think as it was said before that predictions from italian schools aren't considered as reliable ( and I totally understand them , there is usually no reliability in italian schools' grades prediction ) :eek:
But yeah if I had to stay in Kent it would be good anyway :biggrin:
I highly exceeded my offer from Kent :rolleyes: ( they asked me 86/100 ).
It wouldn't be worth resitting exams because it would be impossible to get an higher mark than that :frown:
I think as it was said before that predictions from italian schools aren't considered as reliable ( and I totally understand them , there is usually no reliability in italian schools' grades prediction ) :eek:
But yeah if I had to stay in Kent it would good anyway :biggrin:

Then try adjustment. If you reapply for somewhere else in the new cycle, something else will have to change in your application, and if it can't be grades, it will have to be ps and/or reference.
Reply 27
Hey!
I am also a EU student and had a similar story.
I was going to study Genetics during 2014/2015, but ,unfortunately, I was rejected by Durham, Sheffield and York, despite of the high predicted grades. Although Nottingham has accepted me, it is not as good as the previous universities.
I have an unconditional offer for the international science foundation programme at KCL and I am probably going to study there, because receiving good results guarantees you a place at KCL, moreover I believe it will be easier to transfer to another uni after finishing ISFP.
Original post by mrsujg
Hey!
I was going to study Genetics during 2014/2015, but ,unfortunately, I was rejected by Durham, Sheffield and York, despite of the high predicted grades. Although Nottingham has accepted me, it is not as good as the previous universities.
I have an unconditional offer for the international science foundation programme at KCL and I am probably going to study there, because receiving good results guarantees you a place at KCL, moreover I believe it will be easier to transfer to another uni after finishing ISFP.

It will depend on the exact subject, but Nottingham is a truly superb university in many subjects and in several of the sciences it is ranked way higher than the other universities you have mentioned. Think very carefully before you turn down a place in favour of a mere foundation programme. If you're going to spend four years studying, wouldn't it be better to do your undergraduate degree at Nottingham then a Masters?

Look more closely at the subject specific rankings on The Complete University Guide.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by mrsujg
Hey!

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: Which country are you from if I may ask ?
I have till thursday to decide whether to go to ISFP or Kent and I really don't know what to do :eek: Did they gave you a deeper insight on how the program works ? Because the website doesn't give much info :confused:
Reply 30
It will depend on the exact subject, but Nottingham is a truly superb university in many subjects and in several of the sciences it is ranked way higher than the other universities you have mentioned. Think very carefully before you turn down a place in favour of a mere foundation programme. If you're going to spend four years studying, wouldn't it be better to do your undergraduate degree at Nottingham then a Masters?

Look more closely at the subject specific rankings on The Complete University Guide.

Do you know if Nottingham is good for Physics and Philosophy ? I was gonna try adjustment there but I was uncertain when I read it's considered the " murder capital of UK "
Reply 31
I am from Estonia and the system of education of my country has experienced several changes in my graduation year, that is why I had problems in applying to a UK university. Those universities that I mentioned before were the only ones that did not mind the changes (i contacted them in advance), but as you can see most of them did not accept me anyway -_-
Nottingham, overall, is not a bad university indeed, but in my subject it is so-so, actually I did not really like the modules they listed in the course from the beginning. I just had no other options, because of those problems connected with the changes in the system of education.
Anyway if you spend some time on the KCL website you can find all the information which u need. I really liked the modules and KCL seems as a perfect place for studying. Moreover, in the most countries you should study 4 years to get a BA degree. At first i was a bit skeptical, but now I believe that ISFP is not a bad idea.
I can give u some info about ISFP if you want, just PM me.
Reply 32
Original post by mrsujg
I am from Estonia and the system of education of my country has experienced several changes in my graduation year, that is why I had problems in applying to a UK university. Those universities that I mentioned before were the only ones that did not mind the changes (i contacted them in advance), but as you can see most of them did not accept me anyway -_-
Nottingham, overall, is not a bad university indeed, but in my subject it is so-so, actually I did not really like the modules they listed in the course from the beginning. I just had no other options, because of those problems connected with the changes in the system of education.
Anyway if you spend some time on the KCL website you can find all the information which u need. I really liked the modules and KCL seems as a perfect place for studying. Moreover, in the most countries you should study 4 years to get a BA degree. At first i was a bit skeptical, but now I believe that ISFP is not a bad idea.
I can give u some info about ISFP if you want, just PM me.

Sure :biggrin: In your case ISFP does seem like the best option :biggrin:
Do you know if Nottingham is good for Physics and Philosophy ? I was gonna try adjustment there but I was uncertain when I read it's considered the " murder capital of UK "

That's just nonsense OP. There was a crime problem about a decade ago which has long since been cleaned up, but I doubt it was ever the murder capital of the UK anyway. That would be London (although anywhere in the UK is pretty safe, we are lucky enough to live in a safe country ... to the extent there are bad areas they are easy to spot and don't tend to be where students hang out).

Crime statistics in university cities are produced and they are as you would probably expect:
- universities in the countryside have very low crime;
- universities in major cities have some crime;
- London has its own league table because it has the worst crime levels in the country.

Nottingham University's campus is in a lovely safe area of the city, and its campus is green and landscaped and one of the most beautiful in the UK.

As for its ranking for physics, rankings are deeply flawed of course because they depend on the criteria used, but if you really can't decide based on any other criteria, here's one set of subject specific ones: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Physics%20%26%20Astronomy
Reply 34
That's just nonsense OP. There was a crime problem about a decade ago which has long since been cleaned up, but I doubt it was ever the murder capital of the UK anyway. That would be London (although anywhere in the UK is pretty safe, we are lucky enough to live in a safe country ... to the extent there are bad areas they are easy to spot and don't tend to be where students hang out).

Crime statistics in university cities are produced and they are as you would probably expect:
- universities in the countryside have very low crime;
- universities in major cities have some crime;
- London has its own league table because it has the worst crime levels in the country.

Nottingham University's campus is in a lovely safe area of the city, and its campus is green and landscaped and one of the most beautiful in the UK.

As for its ranking for physics, rankings are deeply flawed of course because they depend on the criteria used, but if you really can't decide based on any other criteria, here's one set of subject specific ones: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Physics%20%26%20Astronomy

Oh alright :rolleyes: I had been warned about Nottingham , so I was kinda worried but this actually a relief :colone:

I am actually interested in research facilities but I probably have to call the uni for that :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending