The Student Room Group

Please help me with Firm and Insurance !!!

Hi guys, this question might have been posted before, but I could not find one that's close to my situation yet.

My situation: Without a scholarship, I cannot go to any university. I applied for Uni 1's and Uni 2's scholarships. I was forced to Firm Uni 1 before only then could I apply for their scholarship. So now, I have Uni 1 as Conditional Firm and Uni 2 as Unconditional Insurance.

I have been given a scholarship from Uni 2 (which is now my Unconditional Insurance). I want to Uni 2 to be my Firm now, and UCAS told me that I have to options: talk to Uni 1 or to enter Clearing.

I really wish that I do not have to enter Clearing (because I might lose the scholarship from Uni 2, and Uni 1, even though Firm, still Conditional).

Basically, could someone please tell me a way to make my Unconditional Insurance my Firm now, instead of my Conditional Firm, without having to enter Clearing ?

Can I just tell Uni 1 that I do not have the qualifications for them ?

Thank you !
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thinktry
Hi guys, this question might have been posted before, but I could not find one that's close to my situation yet.

My situation: Without a scholarship, I cannot go to any university. I applied for Uni 1's and Uni 2's scholarships. I was forced to Firm Uni 1 before only then could I apply for their scholarship. So now, I have Uni 1 as Conditional Firm and Uni 2 as Unconditional Insurance.

I have been given a scholarship from Uni 2 (which is now my Unconditional Insurance). I want to Uni 2 to be my Firm now, and UCAS told me that I have to options: talk to Uni 1 or to enter Clearing.

I really wish that I do not have to enter Clearing (because I might lose the scholarship from Uni 2, and Uni 1, even though Firm, still Conditional).

Basically, could someone please tell me a way to make my Unconditional Insurance my Firm now, instead of my Conditional Firm, without having to enter Clearing ?

Can I just tell Uni 1 that I do not have the qualifications for them ?

Thank you !

You can ask university 1 to reject you now, before the results are announced. That way your insurance offer remains valid. Don't wait until nearer results day or you will, instead, drop into clearing.
Reply 2
Hey @Good bloke, thank you for your reply !

Can you tell me what it means to ask a Firm University to reject you, and how can I do this ?
Tell them that because I do not have a scholarship, I cannot go to them, or what other reasons are suitable ?
Hey @Good bloke, thank you for your reply !

Can you tell me what it means to ask a Firm University to reject you, and how can I do this ?
Tell them that because I do not have a scholarship, I cannot go to them, or what other reasons are suitable ?

You call the admissions tutor of the department that made the offer and speak to him/her, failing that the central admissions department of the university. Reasons are irrelevant but I don't see why you should need to depart from a simple truthful explanation of the full circumstances - this should encourage them to help you and may prompt them into offering a better solution, like a scholarship at their university!
Reply 4
Original post by Good bloke
You call the admissions tutor of the department that made the offer and speak to him/her, failing that the central admissions department of the university. Reasons are irrelevant but I don't see why you should need to depart from a simple truthful explanation of the full circumstances - this should encourage them to help you and may prompt them into offering a better solution, like a scholarship at their university!

Thank you! This is the first time I've had to deal with talking to a Firm University about not being able to go there, so can I ask you a bit more.

When you said "Reasons are irrelevant", do you mean that if a student don't want to go to a Firm university anymore, that student do not need to explain anything, and the university will automatically let them go ?

When you said "Reasons are irrelevant", do you mean that if a student don't want to go to a Firm university anymore, that student do not need to explain anything, and the university will automatically let them go ?

Nothing is automatic. It makes sense to give an honest explanation of the situation and to ask for their help as this offers the best chance of you getting one of the outcomes that will help you - a scholarship at your firm or a rejection before results day. Act today as the university and UCAS need time to complete things before the system is closed some time before results are published.
Reply 6
Thank you again @Good bloke ! I gave them an honest explanation and all went well.

For anyone who might be in the same situation as I was and might also have this thread come up while searching.

If you want to go to your Insurance choice. You need to:
1. Call the Insurance choice first, ask them if they're willing to take you in as their firm choice.
2. Call the Firm choice, explain to them that you don't wish to go there anymore. They'd be happy to reject someone who doesn't want to go to them, regardless of your grades/results.
3. Ask your Firm choice to call UCAS.
4. Check UCAS track.

There, you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending