The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by David B
I chose a en-suite for my first option but didn't get it :frown: Don't you like the idea of sharing with 5+ other people. :wink:

You'll be saving a lot of money.. I live in the northwest which is like the cheapest place in the country I think and ensuite costs £750 more at my university halls and £625 more in private halls. At other universities and other parts of the country it's probably even more expensive..just think of all the stuff you could buy with all that money instead of flushing it down the toilet when you'll end up having to share again after university anyway. Or you could end up saving that money. Everyone will be on different schedules so you'll likely never have to queue to use the bathroom I can say this from experience, and living with 5 other lads in first year it wasn't messy in the bathroom at all at any point during the year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by Ruffiio
You'll be saving a lot of money.. I live in the northwest which is like the cheapest place in the country I think and ensuite costs £750 more at my university halls and £625 more in private halls. At other universities and other parts of the country it's probably even more expensive..just think of all the stuff you could buy with all that money instead of flushing it down the toilet when you'll end up having to share again after university anyway. Or you could end up saving that money. Everyone will be on different schedules so you'll likely never have to queue to use the bathroom I can say this from experience, and living with 5 other lads in first year it wasn't messy in the bathroom at all at any point during the year.

Yeah it worked out I was going to save a fair amount of money not having the en-suite. Which I wasn't particularly bothered about anyways, I just wanted to have one for more convenience.
Original post by SophieSmall
Maintenance Loan: £4028
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £500
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: probably minus money as I often have to send my mum money so she can afford the bills.

Accommodation Cost: £72 p/w 52 week contract so total £3744
Weekly spend after Accommodation: After paying off overdraft I'll have around £70 a week, I'll probably only use £30 a week on everything including drinks and going out but a lot of my money seems to go to my family to help them out so I always seem to end up in my overdraft.

It's nice that you're willing to help out your family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
It's nice that you're willing to help out your family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't not, my mum needs the money more than I do. I'd feel so guilt if I didn't.
Use this format to keep it easy

Maintenance Loan: £3575
Maintenance Grant: None
Bursaries: None
Scholarships: None
Savings: None
Money from Parents: £25/week plus top up for loan to cover rent.
Money from job saving for uni: About £2000

Accommodation Cost: £4000
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £45
I couldn't not, my mum needs the money more than I do. I'd feel so guilt if I didn't.

It was the same with us, my sister helped out my mum a lot. Can't say no after our parents have done so much for us, it would be wrong.

But it's still nice to see and I think you deserve some praise :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
It was the same with us, my sister helped out my mum a lot. Can't say no after our parents have done so much for us, it would be wrong.

But it's still nice to see and I think you deserve some praise :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: that's kind of you.
I get the maximum loan + grant and my accommodation is paid for. I'm also eligible for a bursary so I've worked out that I'll have £262 per week in the first term.. Does this sound about right? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chloehodson
I get the maximum loan + grant and my accommodation is paid for. I'm also eligible for a bursary so I've worked out that I'll have £262 per week in the first term.. Does this sound about right? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what you've said, that figure sounds like it's in the right ball park. How much would your accommodation have cost you?
Original post by Squirb
From what you've said, that figure sounds like it's in the right ball park. How much would your accommodation have cost you?

It costs £5,565 and is self catered

Posted from TSR Mobile
-

If I didn't get a grant then I wouldn't be going to university (and I don't get anything near £9k of grants, more like £3k). If you get rid of grants then the worst off wouldn't be able to have the same educational opportunities.
(edited 5 years ago)
Maintenance Loan: £4198
Bursaries: 0
Scholarships: 0
Savings: 0 (****e willpower and money management)
Money from Parents: 0

Accomodation is around £3900 I think cant remember specifically.

As long as I don't spend more than £90 a week I should be fine, will look for a part time job too.
For some reason, I don't get any maintenance grant. So i have about 5000 in loans I think, I don't know whether I should be happy or not. Hahah :P
around £5k in total
Original post by Lil3utterfly
For some reason, I don't get any maintenance grant. So i have about 5000 in loans I think, I don't know whether I should be happy or not. Hahah :P

For some reason? If you';re unsure why you aren't getting any grants and you think you may be eligible you should definitely ring up student finance and ask why you aren't, it's worth a ten minute phone call.
For some reason? If you';re unsure why you aren't getting any grants and you think you may be eligible you should definitely ring up student finance and ask why you aren't, it's worth a ten minute phone call.

I guess I could, but I'm also happy with my loan.
Because the more grant I have, the less loan I get right?
So maybe it doesn't matter greatly to me.

Thanks though :smile:
I guess I could, but I'm also happy with my loan.
Because the more grant I have, the less loan I get right?
So maybe it doesn't matter greatly to me.

Thanks though :smile:

It really depends on the individual, but if it turns out you are eligible for a grant it means less debt but around the same amount of money or more? Worth a shot I say.
It really depends on the individual, but if it turns out you are eligible for a grant it means less debt but around the same amount of money or more? Worth a shot I say.

Yeah I supposed it amounts to almost the same/ or a little more.
I just might be motivated to give it a shot :wink:
Speaking of loans, what's yours? if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Yeah I supposed it amounts to almost the same/ or a little more.
I just might be motivated to give it a shot :wink:
Speaking of loans, what's yours? if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Oh no of course I don't mind :smile: I get the maximum loan and grant.
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Bursaries: Not entirely sure
Scholarships: None
Savings: £1500 (ish)
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £26

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending